TreeGrowth

Bhruic

Emperor
TreeGrowth will allow for the spread of forests that was seen in Civ IV (currently only does forests, not jungle). Spread rate varies based on map size and game speed.

v3
- Added notifications of any new forest growths within explored territory

bugs
- Forests will grow onto city squares

Bh

Attachments

• TreeGrowth (v 3).civ5mod
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,897
Yup, it's all just a Lua script. It's pretty simple, really, the only hard part was tracking down the function names.

Bh

Seriously great, once a fantasy total conversion is released, this thing better be in it! ;)

yea, I'm using it already, found it on the mod hub before i found this thread. Nice work.

Added notifications of forest growths.

Haven't figured out what to do about jungle yet... With jungle tiles reverting to plains when they are cleared, should I limit jungle growth to other plains tiles? I assume they shouldn't grow on hills. Presumably they shouldn't grow beyond a certain distance from the equator, but that tends to be somewhat map based, so might be harder to deal with.

Bh

Haven't figured out what to do about jungle yet... With jungle tiles reverting to plains when they are cleared, should I limit jungle growth to other plains tiles? I assume they shouldn't grow on hills.
In the real world there are rainforests that are at higher altitudes, rocky or in between mountainious areas. I think it should be okay to have Jungle on hills.
Is it possible to revert a Jungle to something else than plains or is the new hex type fixed into the chopping function? If not (or if you can change it) I'd simply keep the base landscape when removing the Jungle (as it was in Civ4).

Seriously great, once a fantasy total conversion is released, this thing better be in it!

Itll be in Naeralith Reborn i can tell you that much :D thanks Bhruic!

In the real world there are rainforests that are at higher altitudes, rocky or in between mountainious areas. I think it should be okay to have Jungle on hills.
Is it possible to revert a Jungle to something else than plains or is the new hex type fixed into the chopping function? If not (or if you can change it) I'd simply keep the base landscape when removing the Jungle (as it was in Civ4).

there are temperate rainforests in tasmania, Australia ;)

Bhruic, your changes are going to make any mod that wants to add custom notifications incompatible (like mine). Instead of each of us modifying the notification panel, I think we should make a generic custom notification panel that allows custom notifications, release it as a mod, and require it as dependency. Then, we can simply call a function and have a custom notification in any mod we want, and our mods won't be incompatible.

Bhruic, your changes are going to make any mod that wants to add custom notifications incompatible (like mine). Instead of each of us modifying the notification panel, I think we should make a generic custom notification panel that allows custom notifications, release it as a mod, and require it as dependency. Then, we can simply call a function and have a custom notification in any mod we want, and our mods won't be incompatible.

I second this

Yup, that's a good idea. Frankly, I was just so happy to have finally figured out a functional workaround to the notification issue, that I just went with it.

It's not going to be terribly easy to make a generic custom version, but I'll do some work on it and see what I can come up with.

Bh

im trying to investigate NotificationPanel
just wonder why
Code:
OnNotificationAdded(100, -1, "Notification", "Notification text", 0, 0);
command does not work

also what is notification id? how is it changed.. if its only notifications sequentional number thats given to notifications inside the dll (where do they come from i believe) we can create a mapping array for both game notifications and those custom ones created in lua instead of maintaining a separate array for custom notifications

Honestly maybe just for simplicity, have jungles have a slightly lower spread-chance (1 third of forest spread chance?), but also into any adjacant hexes (except desert, tundra and snow ofc).

Like yeah, jungles are kinda "bad" but then again, with later techs you get science for each jungle tile, so it kinda evens out. Lets say a forest spreads per 50 turns (random number), then a jungle could spread per 75 or even 100 turns :)
And when you factor in that the AI (and yourself often) chop down most jungles and forests, the longer the game goes on the fewer forest / jungle tiles there are that have a chance to spread.

hello
i've tweakened Bhruic's notification panel so everyone can use it:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=2281139&da=y

how to create a notification:
Code:
LuaEvents.CustomNotification(x, y, "Tool tip message", "Summary");

the problem is the picture is always an exclamation sign we have to work on this to allow a custom picture for notifications and also not to hardcode text in lua but get from xml.

Sorry to say that your custom notification isn't really a good generic custom notification. It doesn't really handle anything beyond the exact circumstance that I setup, which isn't likely to be the same setup anyone else would be looking for.

Bh

Sorry to say that your custom notification isn't really a good generic custom notification. It doesn't really handle anything beyond the exact circumstance that I setup, which isn't likely to be the same setup anyone else would be looking for.

Bh

of course its far from perfect but its ok for me
one can pass coordinates and info, not that bad imo

Bh

Well yours doesn't allow for messages, so it's an improvement IMHO. More Information could be passed for the icon type, and then it would be pretty good.

Top Bottom