time spent playing - how do you end a session?

How do you end your Civ sessions?

• BIOLOGICAL: when I get too tired or hungry to continue

Votes: 47 31.8%
  • SOCIAL: when my sig other/parent/kid bugs me to stop

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • PSYCHOLOGICAL: when I feel guilty about the time I've spent

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • MECHANICAL: by alarm clock. After X hours/minutes I stop

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • LOGICAL: when I have achieved a goal in the game

Votes: 30 20.3%
  • NUMERICAL: when a certain number of turns/game years have passed

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • OTHER

Votes: 24 16.2%

• Total voters

clif9710

Warlord
We all love to play a session of Civ, but what most frequently stops you from playing without limit?

When I start thinking, "Hmm, I wonder if OT has any new posts to look at". If I've started to think this, is time to take a break. Just an Alt-Tab break, though (and I'll Alt-Tab back into it when I realise that, no, OT doesn't have any new posts :(). The amount of times I find myself thinking this is probably related to how immersed I am in the game.

is the poll about civilization V, or all civilizations in general?
I did not vote as my vote would not be the same according to the version (latest versions with all expansions)

Civ1: SOCIAL
Civ2: OTHER (when my - former - boss showed up)
Civ3: BIOLOGICAL (I am now the boss)
Civ4: BIOLOGICAL (no more bosses and wife(s))
Civ5: OTHER (when I am bored by the game)

It's between biological and social - if there's no-one else around I'll play until I'm tired or hungry (and even then keep playing for a while after I realise I should have stopped), but often somebody comes around who wants to do something, so I stop to go hang out

I voted "other," my game sessions usually end either when I can see I've won and it gets boring going through the motions to achieve actual victory (and those sorry little painted sketches aren't worth it) OR the game crashes and I think, "well that's a sign." (BTW it's a strong rig).

Pretty much 50/50 which way it ends, but I rarely finish a game--the endgame is pure tedium.

Usually logical. Be it the end of a war, finishing a National Wonder that I've wanted for a while, finally reaching the new continent with my settling party, or maybe at a certain Turn #/Time...

I stop when I've won but the game doesn't realize it yet.

I usualy just stop when I know I need to get ready to go to bed so im not tired for work the next day.

Other: I would've chosen social but I read that its that if my parents or kids bug me to stop but its not that. It's most likely my friends who want me to come and do something or then myself knowing that I need to do something else (for example go sleep due to an early wake up on the following day). :)

Bored is my reason. Not a choice in the poll, so I've not voted in the poll. *shrug*

a mix of biological and logical. I either have to go to bed or I just won a game.

While I enjoy this game, its not something that is causing the one more turn syndrome. I tend to stop when I've played for a while, due to my daughter, time to get ready for work, or simply because I have something else I need to do. So rather then choose just one of the options, I voted 'Other'.

I would say Psychological but not cos of the reason stated above.

It's more like a feeling that I have already won the game, it's only a matter of time. It's not the Logical option, I don't know how to quite explain it. The feeling of game won can happen on turn 100 or turn 600, so it isn't really a logical appraise.

If the game is heading for a defeat, I don't mind trying to stay alive and pester the AI though.

By the way: whoever voted for "Biological" is a WIMP! :lol:

Come on, sleep is for the weak and you can eat while you play.

A combination of three:
-biological: I'm starting to feel tired, so I stop.
-logical: I suddenly realize that I haven't stopped playing because of the biological reason, so I just say to myself: "ok, I make sure that this wonder is mine, and I leave"
-psychological: two wonders, five techs and a war later, I feel guilty for having no will, and quit playing. A quick glance at the clock helps too.(the one I have voted for)

I tend to avoid the social reason by playing only after everybody is asleep. Not really healthy.

Top Bottom