How bad can a civ runaway

Makaz

Warlord
I mean, every game got one or two civ running away in size, science or else... but what is the worst you have ever faced as such ?

In a recent game, I received a notification that Korea completed Manathan Project in 1640....... std speed ! Have anyone else noticed some terrible threatenning runnay as such ?

Aye only emperor here (I m a small fish) and not 3 continents to capture for him (since I captured his chinese neighbour first and he is friend to the ottoman but technology wise, he entered atomic era at about turn 220 and is still far away in tech... I just don t want to picture how he would have fared in deity:

Which now leads me to question - shall I DOW him now while he recovers from taking that city from a common enemy before I could or shall I try to catch up in tech before getting there (assuming I can) ?

He has got infantry, at least 5 arties around here and maybe nukes. I m not feeling very confident. Of course, with my economy I could just hold my 9 cs and go for diplomatic but where the fun

I mean, every game got one or two civ running away in size, science or else... but what is the worst you have ever faced as such ?

In a recent game, I received a notification that Korea completed Manathan Project in 1640....... std speed ! Have anyone else noticed some terrible threatenning runnay as such ?

I've seen Hiawatha complete Apollo before turn 200 in a Deity game. (14th century, right?) He went through Napoleon, Attila, Alexander and Augustus like knife through butter meanwhile. Gotta watch this guy..

Pre G&K I had an extreme isolated start. Immortal, may have been emperor. One continent for AI. I was just sending out caravels. Alexander posted a U.N countdown. The win was around 212.

I've seen Hiawatha complete Apollo before turn 200 in a Deity game. (14th century, right?) He went through Napoleon, Attila, Alexander and Augustus like knife through butter meanwhile. Gotta watch this guy..

Hiwatha is my arch ennemy - He is just a monster in this game. Appolo before 14th century is just plain crazy - How do you want to compete !!!

UN countdown turn 212 - did you have enough gold to beat him to it ?

I hate how I always get the same civs as runaways. Pachacuti, Hiawatha, Catherine or Bismarck. Apparently warmongering and cityspamming are the strongest AI types.

Worst has to be Bismarck getting science victory at the turn of the 20th century. Not too bad, but still really annoying as I was playing a passive culture game and was almost finished with my last policy tree.

He has got infantry, at least 5 arties around here and maybe nukes. I m not feeling very confident. Of course, with my economy I could just hold my 9 cs and go for diplomatic but where the fun

So its just boring Pangaea... nothing new here

Sounds like another Pangaea. If not, pics?

Pre G&K I had an extreme isolated start. Immortal, may have been emperor. One continent for AI. I was just sending out caravels. Alexander posted a U.N countdown. The win was around 212.

Ahhh, much better. I take it Alex conquered two continents by his lonesome? He is one of those I would consider capable of pulling off cross-continentals. Would be a lot more better if there were screenshots too...

Always Hiawatha! His ultra-expansionist style is exactly what the game designers were trying to prevent with the happiness mechanic. But when he's an AI, he's not happiness constrained, so there you go.

Two people that have to be eliminated early: Hiawatha and Gustavus Adolphus. Leave 'em unchecked and they're going to be a big big problem.

Always Hiawatha! His ultra-expansionist style is exactly what the game designers were trying to prevent with the happiness mechanic. But when he's an AI, he's not happiness constrained, so there you go.

When people talk about Hiawatha's Finest Rocket Artilleries, they really meant this

Spoiler :

Oh well, the price of denouncing some random runaway from another continent and thinking that the bollocks AI wasn't up to the task of invading me...

Yeah, Hiawatha, Catherine and Sejong (tech wise) have been so boosted up by the last patch that if You don't spawn right next to them and are able to take them out quickly You're screwed. One of my recent Deity games I was fighting him of with rushed frigates and there he was having 12 Great War Bombers in year 750 AD...

So its just boring Pangaea... nothing new here

Sounds like another Pangaea. If not, pics?

Ahhh, much better. I take it Alex conquered two continents by his lonesome? He is one of those I would consider capable of pulling off cross-continentals. Would be a lot more better if there were screenshots too...

I note a bit of sarcasm in your post. Did I say anything about 2 continents?

Screenshots would be nice I guess, I really do not give a hoot.

If you play a lot of games you will eventually see extremes.

I note a bit of sarcasm in your post. Did I say anything about 2 continents?

Well, I was being entirely serious in your case... except it seems you had to take this into an unfortunately confrontational note, without anything special.:(

So I'm going to repeat this:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11562394&postcount=9

Does anybody here have anything to top this Pachacuti? Anyone?

Bonus if its on Deity and that runaway o' yours conquered three continents

Since GnK has made naval war much easier and allowed AI to make more "devastating naval invasions", this shouldn't be much of a problem ???

In my first serious go at a Immortal game, the stars aligned really well and I was set for a turn 270 Science victory.

Hiawatha beat me to it by TWO turns... He completed Apollo slightly before I was ready to bulb all my scientists...

He is also a huge pain to take out early I find, with his UU. I usually wait until crossbows...

Well, I was being entirely serious in your case... except it seems you had to take this into an unfortunately confrontational note, without anything special.:(

So I'm going to repeat this:

Since GnK has made naval war much easier and allowed AI to make more "devastating naval invasions", this shouldn't be much of a problem ???

I do find continents game much easier than pangea games hencewhy I tend to be surprise of you insisting on this as being a super requirement. But I would agree that with the history of CIV IV and V vanilla, firaxis has not made a great show of AI driven naval invasion and this is a welcomed change

I do find continents game much easier than pangea games hencewhy I tend to be surprise of you insisting on this as being a super requirement.

Mainly because its super rare to have one turn up the way my precious Pachacuti did (start on his own continent, puppetize another before T310s). Back then, the consensus was that the AI didn't even do such a thing at all, and if they did, it would be haphazardly crushed. My experience tends to be a bit more mixed, but I find it interesting and sad that it would be this rare...

was doing a game last week and i was doing great trying for a domination victory. i'd taken out 4 civs and was upgrading my riflemen to great war infantry and i see a message "catherine has entered the atomic age" wtf?! she was way ahead of everone. even worse i'd just declared war on her and i see bombers coming out to demolish my cannons and gatling guns. it was a massacre. no clue how she got so far ahead of everyone. the other civs were at the same tech as me.

There really is no reason to be so competitive about whose runaway is better than whose.

My runaway can beat up your runaway! :lol:

Top Bottom