1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

µTorrent Problem ~ "Port 56887 does not appear to be open"

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Abaddon, Jul 12, 2009.

1. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Oh, Router ports?

The question was worded really ambiguously...thou8gh I guess I'd have noticed that it wasn't a 4 digit port number.

This is when you really want a router made by a fairly big company; I dislike Belkin, but at least they make their ports easy to access.

2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Thanks for the help but I don't need it anymore, because for some reason, a combination of resetting and unplugging/replugging everything opened up the port.

3. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Which has prolly disaboled your hardware firewall too.

4. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

I use eMule and aMule in different parts of my campus network, the dorm is connected to a complicated NAT server to Internet; the office is connected to a router to Internet.

In dorm, Bittorrent is dead while eMule has constant speed of 25 K/s
    In office, Bittorrent can reach up to 5M/s while downloading heavily seeded file, but kad network is dead, and going eMule is painfully slow.

5. Fëanor

Fëanor Chieftain

Updating Firmware often reset the password to factory default.

6. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

You can also try installing DD-WRT or Tomato if your router is compatible. It makes them so much more powerful.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yay Tomato.

I just rigged up a pair of routers in an access point/client config, so I get wireless on my desktop and related stuff in my room, without running any junky wireless stuff.

8. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

googling "tomato" really isnt going to get me far...

9. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yes it is, the very first result for "tomato" on google is what we're talking about. :p

10. Genocidicbunny

Then try applying some thought to it.

"Hmm, they're talking about tomato and routers. Maybe I should try using those two search terms together"

11. illram

illram Deity

Re: Tomato, does it increase speed/performance? Is it safe for a relatively average PC user (not a complete nitwit but not very network savvy either)? Or is it only useful for folks doing more technical stuff? My linksys apparently supports it.

My allegedly 12 mbps comcast (provisioned speed, not including BS "powerboost") never seems to get much more than 4-5 mbps bandwidth when streaming and around 2-3 mbps when downloading...

12. Genocidicbunny

Router wont make much of a difference on your connection speed. That is up to the ISP and the quality of the last mile.

Tomato will give you more options though, including a bunch of different services that you can run on your router (like for instance, a paywall hotspot) or better and more precise QoS settings, but it wont speed up your connection significantly.