Éa III, Sword & Sorcery: Bugs/Crashes thread

@jekke

I've attached a prospective fix for the Lua error at the bottom of this post. Swap this out for the existing EaReligions.lua file in the EaMain directory, load game from before error, and let me know if all goes well. If this is the only fallen civ, then you should now be able to Seal Ahriman's Vault now and win game.

If this works without error, I'll release it as 7h.

Sorry, didn't have a chance to try this yet. Anyway, I trust you it should work:)

Actually, I doubt if I can reload from the autosave because I started another game after that one. And there I noticed that if you play evil and burn mana, the internal mana counter is not synchronised with the number you see when you hover you mouse on the mana-per-turn value in the header of the screen. The notification screens about 10%, 50%, 90% mana burnt appear too early with respect to the top counter. Also, I won the game when the top counter was at about 78% mana or so.
I shall post a screenshot later if you want.

One more thing: when you're building a(n evil) temple (or a tower), and the exact tile gets blight, the building process stops, and you have to bring a worker over to clear it and then continue. Is that ok?

I've noticed a couple of oddities during my last few games, but since no one else has mentioned them I'm starting to think it is something to do with my end.

Especially this first one. I have spotted one AI city without a name in at least two games, and in addition there are various amounts of cities with a name 'Village of Man' or 'Village of Sidhe'. A Sidhe civ may have a Village of Man or vice versa. They grow and apparently function normally and no errors popped up at any point. At least some of them were captured at some point in AI vs AI squabbles, so if there is a renaming function in place it may be faulty.

The second probable bug, or a design to help the AI, is that my ranged and siege units can capture cities if city defense goes to 0 as a result of their attack. Even if the siege attack was from two hexes away and there was a forest in between. All hexes in enemy territory of course. I have the feeling this starts happening at later stages of a game, but can not be sure as I usually start conquering only at late stages.
This is fine as long as I remember to take that into account, but often I forget and end up losing a valued unit because the AI can do the same and immediately recapture the city and autokill my unit. No error pop-ups here either during the whole game.

I've noticed a couple of oddities during my last few games, but since no one else has mentioned them I'm starting to think it is something to do with my end.
The second probable bug, or a design to help the AI, is that my ranged and siege units can capture cities if city defense goes to 0 as a result of their attack.
True, I had the same, used to take cities with a couple of marksmen, and without any melee units. However, I always thought that's a feature and not a bug.

Ranged units can take a city if they are adjacent and knock it down to 0 hp - that's a feature.

@iffi, can you attach Lua.log for the city naming situation? I've never seen this before; has anyone else?

No, but I have noticed a very minor thing with cities: when I found my first city, the "Village of XXXX" the text across the screen that should say "Village of XXXX has been founded" says "YYYYYY has been founded", where YYYYYY is some random city name from a seemingly random civ of the right race.
A minor and unimportant bug, but one of the sort that fixing would add "polish" to the mod.

(That's just my word for it, because it makes a mod look all shiny and professional.)

Polish items are fine to point out. In this case it is a Lua kludge that needs to be properly modded in dll (there used to be a lot more of these than there are now). When I have time I'll start a Minor Issues / Polish thread so we can organize one list.

HI, so I've just gotten the mod and installed it. Since then every time I've tried to start a game I'll see the world, everything is covered in the fog of war, and the map at the bottom left of the screen shows a bunch of fragmented white shards. When I click "Begin Your Journey" the game just ends. I've tried doing everything the forums say to ensure it runs correctly-here is the log

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Lua.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 171
@cadeskidmore,

For some reason, your game isn't seeing the modded dll. My best guess (but not the only possibility) is that you are playing on a Mac. Unfortunately, Mac players can't play with mods that change the dll code. Let me know if that doesn't explain it.

Yeah, I'm not on a mac. I've tried plenty of other mods before and for some reason this one just doesn't work.

Well, it's 100% certain from Lua.log that it's not loading the modded dll. Have you played any other mods that change the dll?

My next guess would be: is your Civ5 fully patched to newest version, with both G&K and BNW activated? I don't really have any guesses beyond that. I'll ask in the C&C forum if there are other common reasons why a dll won't load.

Yeah, I'll double check all that stuff, just tell me if you find any thing else that could fix the problem.

Thanks

Well, I put the question to the modding gods. The only response was "is he trying to load another dll mod?" But I know you're not doing that from the Lua.log. I would bet that it is a Civ5 installation issue of some sort: either unpatched Civ5 or modified or corrupt installation files (i.e., some change not in the MODS folder). There could be something else though, like some config.ini setting that I'm not aware of.

Edit: It may be useful to know how you got your Civ5/G&K/BNW. For example, did you get them all together as part of Gold Edition? (I'm still throwing darts in the dark. But maybe something will hit the target...)

On a quest to determine if the National Treasury was overpowered, I built a 10.5% one. I had been saving diligently waiting for it to pop, and my total gold income was substantially less than 10.5% of my current treasury. I'm not sure it was doing anything at all.

As for the question, I'm pretty sure it would have been overpowered if it was working. It would have been worth 100 GPT alone within 5 turns of its construction on turn 80ish (much more if it stacked with the Mercantilism-civ-buffed Bank I was building), and it only would have went further out of control from there. It would have been even worse if I randomed a second Merchant instead of a Warrior. I can't tell if this would still have been a problem after the v8 GP nerf, but compound interest mechanics are sort of weird as a whole. It's a very delicate balance between being rather insignificant and going supercritical. Just like real life!

Attachments

• National Treasury Log+Save.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 209
OK, I found the bug causing National Treasury not to work. I'll move over to balance thread to discuss what % it should be when it's working again.

I just built the National Treasury and it works ok.

But the actual reason for posting is that I got a rare error pop-up. Rare as in they happen very rarely these days. I also included a save for you to see one of those unnamed AI cities I sometimes have.

Another minor bug I've seen twice now is when I have adopted the name Vinca (Bronze Weaponry) I get the 'out of memory' error and do not get the extra copper resource. All I get is a '0 copper' in the top of the screen resource list. I don't exactly remember if these were those times when two different names are offered at the same turn and I decline the first one.

Attachments

• Lua_iffi.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 181
  • QuickSave_iffi.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 203
@iffi, just a quick question (or 2) before I look at these:
  1. Is the "out of memory" error repeatable? That is, if you reload last turn and try again, do you get the same error?
  2. [Really for anyone] Is it only that civ name, or have players seen "Out of Memory" error in other cases recently? (By recently, I mean since v7 came out.)

On the "free copper", it's supposed to plop down a copper resource within 3 plots of your capital. You wouldn't see it in Top Panel until you mined it. It's possible you haven't revealed the plot yet (although that seems like it would be a rare situation).

@iffi, just a quick question (or 2) before I look at these:
  1. Is the "out of memory" error repeatable? That is, if you reload last turn and try again, do you get the same error?
  2. [Really for anyone] Is it only that civ name, or have players seen "Out of Memory" error in other cases recently? (By recently, I mean since v7 came out.)

On the "free copper", it's supposed to plop down a copper resource within 3 plots of your capital. You wouldn't see it in Top Panel until you mined it. It's possible you haven't revealed the plot yet (although that seems like it would be a rare situation).
I don't have autosave on for every turn, so no, I did not reload. I went on playing, but could it be possible that it materialized under the city? And therefore I got it connected immediately and had the 0 copper at the top of the screen. Of course, I should have gotten about 6 if it had worked correctly.

It has been the only 'out of memory' error in ages.

[*][Really for anyone] Is it only that civ name, or have players seen "Out of Memory" error in other cases recently? (By recently, I mean since v7 came out.)
[/LIST]

I remember getting this when becoming Agartha. It was in v7, most probably 7d. Sorry, no save available, it was some time ago.

OK, I've sorted out the National Treasury issue and it's all UI problems:
  1. UI tells you that you will get 0.5% x the Merchant's Trade Modifier interest per turn, but the actual effect is one-tenth of that amount. (Actual effect is reasonably balanced.)
  2. The gold does add to the city's total gpt, but there is no UI anywhere that itemizes the effect, so it's hard to know you are getting it.
I'll try to fix both of these for 7i patch.

The only other interest on treasury effects are for Mamonos civ (0.5%) and the new v8 enabled policy Bankers (0.5%). I'll probably put a cap on each of these effects at 100 gpt (adjusted by map size). Each cap will be separate so you could still get up to 300 gpt from interest if you are Mamonos with National Treasury and have Bankers policy. To max out civ and policy effect you would need 20000 Gold in treasury.

Also found/fixed two Lua errors from iffi's game. One caused the error popup near end of log, the other was occurring during leader dialog and my not have caused any noticeable effect. Both fixes will be in 7i.

I think I fixed 90% of the "out of memory" problems, but there are still some instances (the error has nothing to do with Lua memory but results from sending bad data to UI controls). In any case, I've "isolated" that error so it shouldn't affect other systems. So this is one case where pressing OK on the error popup is really OK and isn't a sign of a broken game.

Ranged units can take a city if they are adjacent and knock it down to 0 hp - that's a feature.

The problem is that they can take a city if they are NOT adjacent but are in range (siege units). I had that happen in a recent game too.

Top Bottom