[NFP] (1.0.9.9) AI not improving resources

Peserwin

Chieftain
I'm playing a single player game with Kublai (China) with Corporations and Monopolies gamemode enabled. And while i've built some industries, the AI havent improved any of their luxeries. Except for Mansa, he has two luxeries showing up in his tradescreen. He might have built a city on top of a lux, not sure about that.
Mods enabled: 8 ages op pace, free settler for deity only. I've included my save (Yes, i know it's a great start being close to 2 NW)

Attachments

• KUBLAI KHAN (CHINA) 74 225 BC.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
Also checked this with observer mode - with corporations on, they do improve the first luxury of each type, but then they stop, even if the builder is right on top of it.
On top of it being not very immersive that the AI completely ignores the new mode, it throws the game balance off - general lack of amenities in the game, and easy trading money for the player, because every AI is desperate for luxuries.

I'll add it's not a new issue caused by the new mode. From my recent marathon game started before the release of the Vietnam/Kublai Khan DLC:

Spoiler :

Non improvemnets.PNG

I'll add it's not a new issue caused by the new mode. From my recent marathon game started before the release of the Vietnam/Kublai Khan DLC:

These are strategic resources. The AI before the release of this gamemode indeed had a tendency to build a farm on top of horses etc. But they did not neglect luxeries, that's new.

Can confirm, in a marathon game with Monopolies and Corps mode turned on as well and none of the 9 other Civs have improved any luxury resources. Only strategic ones. On turn 300.

didn’t have this issue my game before the patch

My example of Spain wasting what would be likely a wine monopoly if improved:

Spoiler :

5UnimprovedWine.jpg

And to demonstrate that this isn't a momentary thing, around 30 turns earlier:

UnimprovedRessourcesT175.jpg

Attached are the two saves I have taken the pics from.

Attachments

• 1.0.9.9AIDoesntImproveLuxuries.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 106
  • ZuluT175.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
This bugged me to no end, as it basically made the game unplayable. If you dont want the AI to be idiots. As the AI has horrible happiness and few strategic.

The issue seem to be twofold.

One the AI does not create enough builders. I fixed this with a change to yield for improvement from 1 to 4. This made the AI produce more workers, but then comes the second problem.

Second priority, the AI priority seem to be to avoid resources and luxury it somehow hates, so it build everything else before resources and last of all luxury resources and maybe based on City worked tiles in some bug in prioritization.

So then I added 9 charges to workers and it helps a lot, as now the AI has left over charges and actually start improving all tiles even low priority tiles. Even saw an industry being created after a long while. Problem is even then once an AI expands it prioritize the new cities tiles first, so it move the works their and it then take a long while until luxuries or strategic are improved all the while the AI has happiness issues or lack strategic resources. This is playable but not really fun, but now I noticed the next problem

AI does not improve tiles that are on flood plains. Not sure if its after they flooded which is my guess but I did not pay attention.

Investigated this further in another observed AI game, Immortal, this time I upped the builder charges to 7 as suggested by Matte. AIs built a lot of basic improvements (esp farms), generally did very well until turn 250 (then lost focus of possible victories, but that's a different issue). There were no issues with floodplains, in fact they obsessively put farms on them, even repairing flooded farms.

Spoiler :
upload_2021-2-2_0-59-23.png

They did mostly ignore luxuries though, as established. However, after nearly 200 turns of luxury drought, the Aztecs got the first industry here after accidentally getting a second jade mine by conquering Oslo. Soon™ after that AIs actually started to slowly improve their duplicates (and when they did, they tended to put industries on them relatively quickly). They're seemingly not able to put industries on bare luxuries, like the player can.

So it's not that they're incapable of playing the mode, it really is a prioritization issue. (Maybe overprioritizing worked tiles, but that's just a guess)

Looks like this is happening on the PS4 as well. Both for luxuries and strategics.

Also observed a lack of improving luxury resources. I'm banking big bucks on a deity game because the AI can't be bothered to improve their only copy of some resources.

I also saw a city state harvest a sugar to place a farm on that hex. With no possibility of a farm triangle either. That can't possibly be intended behavior (especially since the sugar would have produced *more food* than the farm, much less other yields). (Especially annoying because I was playing as Maya, and they were literally right next to me, but i didn't get the expected plantation to boost my observatory.)

I noticed earlier than Nubia and Gran Colombia made an attempt to improve theirs. I thought the AI weren't improving more than 1 but it looks like they do sometimes, just not consistently.

The same here. Thought first this is a Problem with the CQUI Mod, but it seems others have the same. In both Games (round 331 as Kublai Khan and in new Game round 161 as Alexander Makedon...the same. See here:

civ6.jpg

Runde-331.jpg

i don't have and screen capture, but i confirm i have notice this as well (didn't connected it to bug tho). Cree had 6 chocolate luxs and he improved none.. but i helped him with that. I thought it was due to early wars he had.. but that doesn't make sense at all in peace time.

This has been consistent in my games as well, I have yet to see a single AI improve more than one copy of a luxury resource and seldom more than one luxury resource total. Additionally, the AI seems to favor one kind of improvement in general, usually farms but for example Sumeria spammed ziggurats and ignored every other improvement

I found that city state also stop improving its luxury resource once it get attacked by major civ.

I just noticed from the February patch video, that the AI is still not improving their resources (keep in mind, that the map etc. might be staged for the video)

upload_2021-2-22_11-14-26.png

Still broken, but when I tested again I did noticed that the AI builders when reaching economics start working way better. So created a mod that moved corporations to currency, and now once AI has currency which is fairly early the AI works fine again. You still need a great merchant to form a corporation so will be ok until we get a fix, and you can now play this mode that said you still have to disable culture victory due to the tourism big, if you cant control yourself with monopolies.

I am also using my AI booster and AI builder booster and AI is improving everything quickly now once they get to currency.

AI is improving everything quickly now once they get to currency
Can confirm that this works, did a quick spectator game on the side and Dido had two industries and six improved amber before turn 100. Great detective work!
Would recommend a house rule to stay out of the corporation business until you reach Economics though, the first merchants arrive fairly quickly if you try.

Top Bottom