[NFP] (1.0.9.9) AI not improving resources

Still broken, but when I tested again I did noticed that the AI builders when reaching economics start working way better. So created a mod that moved corporations to currency, and now once AI has currency which is fairly early the AI works fine again. You still need a great merchant to form a corporation so will be ok until we get a fix, and you can now play this mode that said you still have to disable culture victory due to the tourism big, if you cant control yourself with monopolies.

I am also using my AI booster and AI builder booster and AI is improving everything quickly now once they get to currency.

YOu have this Mod up at Steam Workshop too?
Would love to use it also....until somebody finally kills this Bug!!!

Why nobody at Firaxis reads the Bug reports? I even postet it in their 2k Bug Forum for Civ6. Nobody noticed it even....it seems.

They'd better fix bugs instead of squeezing themselves into barbarian costumes for advertising purposes !!! :mad:

Ok, this issue is also debated in the main forum here ( Are the AI upgrading luxuries/strategic resources after March patch? | CivFanatics Forums ) and even that discussion thread includes some saves which show the overall AI problem of not connecting their luxury ressources.

But I think this very specific example of an AI worker ignoring a luxury ressource he is standing on and moving away instead deserves to be here...

AIWorkerStandingOnRessourceAndIgnoringIt.jpg

AIWorkerStandingOnRessourceAndIgnoringIt2.jpg

This can be reproduced with the attached save by just ending the turn. For me, no clearer proof of an issue here is possible. Why doesn't that Sugar ressource gets improved? There is no enemy close by which would threaten the Worker afterwards, the city the tile belong to could need another improvement to work it...and I can't imagine any more pressuring issue for that worker...

Attachments

• 1.0.11.16AIWorkerIgnoreRessource.Civ6Save
    5.8 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:

This can be reproduced with the attached save by just ending the turn. For me, no clearer proof of an issue here is possible. Why doesn't that Sugar ressource gets improved? There is no enemy close by which would threaten the Worker afterwards, the city the tile belong to could need another improvement to work it...and I can't imagine any more pressuring issue for that worker...

That's an odd one, Curtin has not improved anything in that screenshot but the solar farms - not even a farm. Maybe the worker is stuck looking for places for power improvements. It's not the problem most people here talk about though, there's no lack of farms usually.

That's an odd one, Curtin has not improved anything in that screenshot but the solar farms - not even a farm. Maybe the worker is stuck looking for places for power improvements. It's not the problem most people here talk about though, there's no lack of farms usually.

The power improvement spam is there since their introduction with GS (and sometimes forts are spammed in a similar manner), but in the past the AI still managed to improve more ressources. Also, since the ressources tiles can't be improved with those stuff the AI likes to overboard, a serious worker shortage isn't the main problem here as well and they neglect ressources already before those late-game stuff is available, I don't think their is a direct connection....but of course I fully agree that you have pointed out another serious flaw in regard to their land development - and I would be glad to see that getting a fix, too :)

EDIT: And maybe an additional comment to the screenshot above - those Australian cities are a new world colony the AI has founded on a Terra Map script, so that might explain why they are overall less developed (the Australian heartland has Farms, Outback Stations and so on)...but it is no excuse that the ressource doesn't get connected (and here their homeland looks as worse, with a lot of unimproved ressources) and again - I agree that only Solar Farms instead of some normal farms are not a particularly good move as well.

Last edited:
My guess is that there's a pretty simple logic - a new city always produces a builder at a certain spot in its queue, and then the AI moves the builder around, looking for improvements that seem important at the time. In the endgame, they happen to like solar farms the most for some reason, so they mostly build those.
So someone from the AI Team would have to sit down and think hard about how to put in some sort of feedback loop, so the AI notices a lack of improvements. Or they cheat a little and give the AI additional charges, like this little mod does: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2381732819 . (Recommended, but in the late game, they will just put down more solar farms and forts. I wonder if the tendency to build forts is a part of zombie mode logic they accidentally left in - I hope I'm wrong.)
The monopoly mode bug is probably a simple fix in comparison (since the ability is there) , so the hope would be that they can do that quickly.

My guess is that there's a pretty simple logic - a new city always produces a builder at a certain spot in its queue, and then the AI moves the builder around, looking for improvements that seem important at the time. In the endgame, they happen to like solar farms the most for some reason, so they mostly build those.

That might apply in the early game - but Australia built at best one single worker so far in those new world colony cities (and I'm not even sure if that was finished); instead they started quite ambitious projects immediately (expensive districts like the Encampment you see - or in one case, see the pics below, an Aerodrome, followed by a Jet Fighter. Believe me, it pains me to critize the AI for building aircraft-related stuff...but in a new found city without any significant infrastructure???)
Spoiler :

AerodromeInUndevelopedCity.jpg

True, that's a complete failure by the AI - so even a one-builder-per-city policy would be an improvement (if they can be persuaded to build something else than a solar farm, of course). Somewhat tragicomic to announce more aircraft building, and then the game produces these screenshots...
Also, the extreme tech focus they introduced in the last patches backfires badly here.

I can confirm. I played 6 games in a row until medieval age and 80% of cvis had 0 luxury resource to trade, 20% had 1 resource. Which means that it was not possible to trade any luxury resource. The complete luxury trading mechanism (feature) in the early and midgame (at least) is gone!!! Not sure what FXS thinks, but this bug is minimum a Major but could be considered a Showstopper...

Additional info: all modes (including corporations) were on. No mods installed or ever installed on my current civ install.

Additional info 2: all games are deity-marathon-continents-huge.

Note: I don't think I need to provide save games, logs or whatsoever, just play the game with settings as seen above and you will not find a single civilizations having at least two luxury resources of the same type offered for trade. Anyway, I believe from the specific settings mentioned above the only one which matters is that I have corporation mode enabled.

Last edited:
Seems not, after a 100 turns only 1 civ improved 1 resource, so no luxury to trade. It's also not mentioned in the patch. Just that in general AI should prioritize (any) improvements in general. But this has nothing to do with the corporation mode, which is the one having this bug. Basically corporation mode is currently IMO unplayable, it defies it's whole purpose. But eg.: they "Fixed a bad line break from being displayed in the Leader Pool description on the Leader Pool menu in Japanese". Interesting priority concept...

Just in case a fresh example from v1.0.12.9 is needed...

Gorgo has 5 unimproved luxuries in her territory, a worker standing one of them next to a city - and ending the turn will result in the AI just moving the worker away:
Spoiler :

AIIgnoringRessourceItStandsOn.jpg

AIIgnoringRessourceItStandsOn2.jpg

And no, it's not just Gorgo - Cleopatra ignores her (luxury) ressources in similar manner:
Spoiler :
CleopatraNoBetter.jpg

Finally the ressource overview to give an impression of how bad it looks overall:
Spoiler :

RessourceOverview.jpg

For me it is pretty clear that something is seriously wrong here. Yes, it is a Prince difficulty, Epic Game speed and Barbs/Tech Shuffle/Dramatic Ages modes are on as well...but why isn't the AI just using the workers properly it has? What else better should a worker do than improving ressource tiles?

Attachments

• 1.0.12.9AINotImprovingLuxuries.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Corporation & Monopoly mode is a significant part of the Vietnam pack and at the very least the people who bought it à la carte deserve a response from Firaxis regarding this issue.

Continued the game where I posted the last example from above for around 150 Turns more - situation remains unchanged as you can see. Prince difficulty might explain the overall less improved AI countrysides, but it is no excuse for improving standard tiles while ignoring luxuries:
Spoiler :

T337StillNoImprovedLuxuries.jpg

T337StillNoImprovedLuxuries2.jpg

T337StillNoImprovedLuxuries3.jpg

T337StillNoImprovedLuxuries4.jpg

Attachments

• T337AIStillNoLuxuriesImproved.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 47
Wow, 1 year later. And Firaxis did.....NOTHING! Nothing to fix one of the new Game Modes, they brought with the last big Addon...or should we call it Season 2 Game Pass?

Charging 50 Bucks.....and then doing nothing to fix such an obvious bug....so good and often ducumented. One that makes the Corporate Gamemode absolute useless!!!!

What a SHAME Firaxis.....what a shame!!! Especially as they had time for several Patches do fix it. And now is Civ6 dead for sure, as they work on Civ7 since a long time.
Why fixing old gamnebreaking bugs, if they can earn soon again 50-80 Bucks for a new Civ7?

:nono:

And this bug is the only reason I am not playing the game any more. For me all other bugs are less important. As soon as it is fixed I will get back to it of course, since I like civ 6. I can't imagine it never being fixed. I don't remember any Civ game which's final version would contain such an evident and major bug.

9 months since the last post on this topic, & I am still seeing this problem. AI Civilizations are essentially avoiding the improvement of their luxury resources. At best, they'll improve only a single luxury.....but no more. Luxury trade is non-existent in my current game.

And this bug is the only reason I am not playing the game any more.
Same for me. Sadly I only recently bought this game and I really liked it. But seeing my enemy AI struggling in a war and never improving oil resources is too painful.

Top Bottom