• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

1.17f Problems/Bug Reports

My game doesnt even work with the new patch, but my riflemen have always made that shooting noise when they run... weird.

Because we didn't. We invented only the civilized portions.

I have a problem creating embassies.

I have writing tech. I have contact with three civs. I am war with one civ, the second has established an embassy. I can not make an embassy with the third. The star icon on the capital seems to do nothing. I do not get the message "Can not establish embassies at this time."

I am attaching my save game file if anyone wants to try it:

Originally posted by BillChin

The star icon on the capital seems to do nothing. I do not get the message "Can not establish embassies at this time."
Someone from firaxis should take a look at this because there's something wrong with your game (file). The star isn't functioning, but your not lost yet because the shortcut (Ctrl-E) is working. Is this happening in all your games?

Originally posted by BillChin

I just downloaded your file, and I guess you are right. There seems to be a problem right clicking on the symbol of your capital city. It dos nothing.

However, I right clicked the city itself, and chose "Conduct Espionage". And that way I managed to get a box allowing me to create embassies with Persia and Egipt.

The same happens when I press Ctrl+E.

Perhaps you should add that to my list of bugs in:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16483

Has anyone else seen this? After installing 1.17 I first noticed that my fonts looked crummy - the fonts just looked kinda blockish and each character appeared to be missing about 30% of the letter so it just looked kinda low res and poor. But the big problem is that in diplomacy mode some of the text doesn't appear at all or is getting pushed off the screen! Also Civilopedia entries are messed up with text and graphics lumped on top of each other. What the heck is going on? Needless to say it is making the game hard to play! I will try attaching some screenshots as it is easier to see then describe.

Attachments

• civ 3 error 1a.jpg
    civ 3 error 1a.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 995
I find the game plays very nicely with 1.16 patch and with all the trouble that seems to be about the 1.17 patch. I will wait for 1.18 to perhaps fix all this mess and play as is with no trouble.

humm I don't seem to be having any of these problems. Apart from some relatively minor glitches, I don't see any reason from my experience that anyone should hesitate to use either 1.16 or 1.17. I can think of some changes to the game I would like, but haven't seen what I would call bad problems either. When I had problems like some of the ones described above in the past, re-installing always resolved them.

I haven't tried the stacked movement with an army yet; it's too bad it isn't all set. Why can't we have grouped movement like you would expect to find in other strategy games, e.g. you select a unit, hit ctrl-1 to assign the unit to group 1, then hit alt-1 to select all the units in group 1 to give them an order.

The 'J' method will be adequate though if the army thing is taken care of, and another tweak would be to only move active units of the same type. So if I have 10 cav on a square, with 5 fortified and 5 activated and select 'J', only the ones that are activated will be moved.

We are so hard to please . . . AND NO WIRE HANGARS EITHER hehe

Originally posted by Libertarian
Because we didn't. We invented only the civilized portions.
Dawm americans! They will never learn! :rolleyes:

I started a new game 200x200 to test the new patch. I was using the editor to change somethings. When you add/delete any terrain near a river it will add another branch of river terrain. The placement of rivers are actually harder to be precise.
Editor seems to be even more unstable when making changes. If I make changes to a bunch of options at one time the game will crash every time I try to load as scenario. This only happened once in a while before.
Most of the time when finding a goody hut now you get a skilled (?) settler most of the time. Not complaining but really seemed wierd to have 10 settlers appear right in a row from huts. :D

:crazyeyes Desert Fox :p

Originally posted by madwand97
Has anyone else seen this? After installing 1.17 I first noticed that my fonts looked crummy - the fonts just looked kinda blockish and each character appeared to be missing about 30% of the letter so it just looked kinda low res and poor. But the big problem is that in diplomacy mode some of the text doesn't appear at all or is getting pushed off the screen! Also Civilopedia entries are messed up with text and graphics lumped on top of each other. What the heck is going on? Needless to say it is making the game hard to play! I will try attaching some screenshots as it is easier to see then describe.

Smooth font shading - scrolling whatever it is called should be turned on to solve this minor problem. :D

Desert Fox :p

I start a game. Huge map, random everything. Monarch difficulty. I build my first city where my settler starts. I have more than one commerce (near river or built road). I change my commerce allocation from 50-50 to something that heavily favors research. The per turn treasury accumulation number drops correspondingly. However, there is no associated change to the number of turns required for the completing research for the first tech. It is forty with one commerce per turn, it is forty with two commerce per turn. It is forty with three commerce per turn. Etc.

Any insight appreciated.

Originally posted by mohican
I start a game. Huge map, random everything. Monarch difficulty. I build my first city where my settler starts. I have more than one commerce (near river or built road). I change my commerce allocation from 50-50 to something that heavily favors research. The per turn treasury accumulation number drops correspondingly. However, there is no associated change to the number of turns required for the completing research for the first tech. It is forty with one commerce per turn, it is forty with two commerce per turn. It is forty with three commerce per turn. Etc.

Any insight appreciated.

Well, I don't know if I'm just stupid, but I swear that happened to me as well... I think that the techs at the beginning just cost enough that you're always stuck at the slowest time possible (40 turns per tech) until you get more cities/population... probably costs like 150-200 tech points, and to reduce the time below 40 turns you'd need 5 or 6 points per turn... I don't know for sure, but that's my guess.

Sounds like you're still not doing enough research to get the tech in under 40 turns.

And for my $0.02 on the patch, I installed it and continued to play some 10 turns into my current game (Emperor, Large map, Modern Age). I haven't run into any problems yet. <knock-on-wood>

Go figure.

Originally posted by mohican

Any insight appreciated.

I noticed exactly that. But that is not the only problem with science allocation.

In year 1936 AD, I changed my science from 40% to 60%.
In terms of spending, it changed from 986 to a massive 1495, which is about 50% more than what I had!

But even so, any possible discovery still is only available after 4 turns, just as it was before. And I was just starting a new discovery (Fission) in that turn! This is very weird.

But even worst is a bug regarding scientists allocation.
I won’t repeat myself here. So please check out Item 3, of Major Bugs in this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16483

Besides those problems, which I think already existed in earlier versions, I really like this new patch, specially the fact that workers got smarter. Now they are *almost* totally reliable. :)

They clean up pollution better, stacking more than 2 workers in a square. They are able to stack at least 4 workers to clean up pollution, when you choose either Shift+A or Shift+P (just for pollution).

Regarding fonts:
I haven’t had any problem whatsoever. I’m using win2000, with all the patches applied.
I have the option “Smooth edges of screen fonts”, disabled on the Operating system. Perhaps that is creating the problem described earlier in this thread.

Ever since the patch I can't even start a new game.

Double clicking on New Game or Quick Game or hitting enter does nothing at all. I CAN however load a scenario and continue with no promlems.

I also cannot use ANY pre-1.17f save games as i get the "Data IO" error. I had 1 game with edited .sav properties and one with edited starting positions, which would explain those but all the other "untouched" SAVs give the same error!

ARGH!

Originally posted by docceh
Ever since the patch I can't even start a new game.

Double clicking on New Game or Quick Game or hitting enter does nothing at all. I CAN however load a scenario and continue with no promlems.

I also cannot use ANY pre-1.17f save games as i get the "Data IO" error. I had 1 game with edited .sav properties and one with edited starting positions, which would explain those but all the other "untouched" SAVs give the same error!

ARGH!
Have you made anything with your civ3mod.bic?

Top Bottom