1001 Quick Tips and things you learned

For wonders that require adjacency to a district, you can use your other cities districts for this purpose. For example, city A has a campus on the border of city B's area. City B can build the Oxford adjacent to A's campus. This can be useful if you mountained yourself in for Adj bonuses.

The above is true for any adjacency bonus. If the thing is on the map, all that matters is if you own the tile next to it so that you can actually place the district/wonder there. You don't have to own the object providing the bonus.

The logistics card (+1 movement for units that start in your border) applies to builders, giving them 3 movement points a turn. This is easily worth picking if you're peacefully building up your empire, and feels wonderful.

Commercial districts and harbors are amazing for low production cities, because they let a high production city build a trader, which has awesome bonuses.

Don't underestimate gold, it lets you field a much bigger military if you want one, lets you upgrade units faster, and can buy you buildings in low production cities. Gold is better in VI than in V if you focus on it.

I hope they add in some sort of mercantile victory condition at some point. I think the money generating game in Civ 6 is the most fun it's been in a while. I love finding good sites for a huge money city.

You can heal the health of battle weary religious units quickly in a holy site.

I tried this few days ago when my apostles were injured, thinking it might be the case since holy units didn't have a fortify to heal button, but I didn't notice health going up. You just put them there to sleep?

I tried this few days ago when my apostles were injured, thinking it might be the case since holy units didn't have a fortify to heal button, but I didn't notice health going up. You just put them there to sleep?

From what I've seen the amount of healing is either related to the number of buildings..or faith generated from the site. A fully filled holy site can heal at least 38 per turn. The Apostle will start healing the same as military units, the turn after he last moves

So you just 'sleep' him there?

I think I just moved there and looked for the fortify til healed button, and didn't see one.

Do you know how much faith I have pissed away on Apostles then? Probably close to 100,000 by now.

If you levy the army of a city state, you can disband it all when you don't want it anymore (you don't get gold for that, sorry), then they will build new up to date units.

This is a great tip.

I'm curious what you were up to when you discovered this.

Don't underestimate gold, it lets you field a much bigger military if you want one, lets you upgrade units faster, and can buy you buildings in low production cities. Gold is better in VI than in V if you focus on it.

Funny how the value of gold goes up as things get more expensive. Did the wealth of nations mention that?

Sorry, didn't realize I was posting consecutively.

Last edited:
So you just 'sleep' him there?

I think I just moved there and looked for the fortify til healed button, and didn't see one.

Do you know how much faith I have pissed away on Apostles then? Probably close to 100,000 by now.

Yes You use sleep in that tile and as mentioned by Timally, the more improvements in the Holy Site the quicker the heal.

Last edited:
Two things I noticed yesterday:
- Your newly built cities always add 6 additional hexes of territory. So building a city next to your borders lets you initially claim tiles beyond the 1 tile radius. (Looks like the tiles further out get chosen the same way as for cultural border expansion.)

- You can't build two settlers on the same turn to save against settler cost escalation- the first once completes and then the second one gets the cost increase, which likely means it won't complete that turn after all.

The above is true for any adjacency bonus. If the thing is on the map, all that matters is if you own the tile next to it so that you can actually place the district/wonder there. You don't have to own the object providing the bonus.
Does this mean that in the unlikely occurrence you have adjacent borders to another civ's Campus, that you could build the Great Library next to it?

According to a note in the XML files, choosing "Legendary Start" allows civilizations to start near Natural Wonders. The number of Natural Wonders on the world map is limited by map size. I have yet to see Galapagos, but according to the XML is should spawn within 2 or 3 tiles of a coast.

Planting forest to cut them down does not gain you production - don't gain production for second growth forests
You can rush the production of great people - use the projects in your production queue. It is actually pretty advantageous. I was able to lower the cost of a GP so that I could rush buy it with faith.

If AI dows you along with his suzerain city-states you can peace the city states out in several turns (I think it was 3 or 5) even if suzerainity remains. Didn't have time to test this further.

Catapults gain +2 support bonus for each adjacent friendly unit (so up to 12 combat strength). This also applies to land units with support units (such as battering rams) on the same hex

EDIT: probably, the support bonus applies to all units?

Last edited:
Buying university is worth 900 gold or insane amount of hammers.
But buying one is not counted for "build 2 universities" eureka for Printing.

You are right, Ive learned it the hard way :p

Seaside resorts are amazing for a Culture Victory. You can get a Culture Victory with minimal investment in great works.

Seaside resorts can only be built on flat, coastal plains, grassland, or desert tiles with a minimum appeal of 4. Once built, they provide double the tile's appeal in tourism. The way to use them is a) build the Eiffel Tower, which gives +2 appeal to all your tiles, and b) build the Christo Redentor, which makes your resorts provide quadruple the tile's appeal in tourism instead. So each resort then provides a minimum of 16 tourism.

You can expand the number of places you can build coastal resorts by planting a bunch of woods one tile off the coast. Woods grant +1 appeal to adjacent tiles. You can also plant woods next to coastal resorts you've already built, and they'll start generating 4 more tourism than they did before.

Seaside Resorts must be within 3 tiles of a city center or they won't generate any tourism, but they do not have to be worked by a citizen to generate tourism. So you could, in the late game, find an unclaimed strip of coast, settle a 1 population city, buy a few coastal tiles, and place 5 or 6 coastal resorts. If you have the right wonders, that city will immediately generate 100+ tourism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom