11 Kievan Rus Units

Love these Russian units! However, being a noob in Civ and also not so computer coding expert either, I have a question. From what I can tell, you basicaly have to replace strings of text in the original files for some strings of text of these new files (units), correct? If that is true and someone already had done it in their BTS game, why can't you guys post that modified file here? This way noobs can just copy/paste the entire modified file into their BTS mod folders and we can have these nice units in the game for the Russians? If that is possible, we only just need one smart guy who knows how to add these units into the game, and than he can just share his final modified files with the rest of the community and all the noobs and dumbasses like myself can just copy/replace the files in the BTS! Is it possible?

It is possible to just modify the art styles files, and with the addition of modular modding it's simple really.

I think most people don't do that because everyone is different and some people only take bits and pieces for their mods. My Ukrainian mod that I'm working on is going to incorporate several of these wonderful Kievan Rus units (thank you so much!), but I'm not using them all to keep some differentiation between time periods. So, you'd probably still get people requesting you redo it with small modifications here and there. Might as well not do it at all and avoid the trouble ;)

Since I've done a few, once I'm done with my mod (should be this weekend) I'll just redo the art styles for the Kievan Rus units to incorporate them all and send them to danrell to include in his files if he wants.

Love these Russian units! However, being a noob in Civ and also not so computer coding expert either, I have a question. From what I can tell, you basicaly have to replace strings of text in the original files for some strings of text of these new files (units), correct? If that is true and someone already had done it in their BTS game, why can't you guys post that modified file here?

Who says this hasn't been done already ? ;)

You could get Diversica or EDU Extreme and probably some other mods as well, which include these units.

If you do not know how to add units (or are too lazy to do so), take a look around the graphical mods, many contain units which have been posted around here (danrell and others).
Another mod along those lines is Varietas Delectat, I do not believe it contains all danrell units however (but uses different ones), the first two I mentioned definitely do.

imo you should go with Diversica or VD, both offer plenty of units and are well maintained, EDU Extreme 'only' contains the danrell units and hasn't been updated in a while (but then there weren't many new danrell units since).

How hard is it to add your Diversica mod to my BTS game? Does it change the appropriet units for appropriet nations (f.e. these Kievan Rus' units for the Russian side only or for all the swordsman, spearman, etc. in the BTS)?

It should be real easy, extract it to Civ4/BtS/Mods and you are done. The russian units are used by Russia only (the german ones by Germany, the chinese by China etc.).

If you just would like the russians to use russian units and everybody else to still use the regular units, delete all other civilizations under Diversica/Assets/Modules/Custom Civilizations (or keep whichever other civs you want with their custom units).

It should be real easy, extract it to Civ4/BtS/Mods and you are done. the russian units are used by the russians only.

If you just would like the russians to use russian units and everybody else to still use the regular units, delete all other civilitations under Diversica/Assets/Modules/Custom Civilizations (or keep whichever other civs you want with their custom units).

It should be real easy, extract it to Civ4/BtS/Mods and you are done. the russian units are used by the russians only.

If you just would like the russians to use russian units and everybody else to still use the regular units, delete all other civilitations under Diversica/Assets/Modules/Custom Civilizations (or keep whichever other civs you want with their custom units).

So easy it needed to be explained twice :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

That is what I was looking for... Thanks guys! I will try it tonight and let you know how it went!
God bless THE WHOLE WORLD, not just one country!

It works! Thanks so much for these great units Danrell and for putting them in the game Mamba.

Top Bottom