136+ Leaders, 42+ civs (long)

Dida said:
There is no need for additional civs or leader.

There is no need for more than a single generic leader, but it's still more fun to have lots to choose from. ;)

Rufus T. Firefly said:
Italy - Benito Mussolini, no? And who is Giuseppe?

Guiseppe Garibaldi?

He was a contributor towards Italian unification, iirc.

I'm not a huge fan of Mussolini as a choice. He didn't even actually get the trains to run on time (that was just Fascist propoganda).

Just to continue my argument towards the Iroquois as a seperate civ (not just some grouping of "Native Americans"). The Iroquois Confederacy was a powerful political unit. They were sovreign in their territory and ruled other tribes as subjects to their empire. From their home in upstate New York, they were recognized as rulers of territory as far west as the Mississippi (along the Ohio River Valley). They served as a powerful buffer between the French and English. In 1720, they expanded their territory to include territory in Pennsylvania by playing off the needs of William Penn's sons. They were so significant that London appointed a royal commissioner who had overriding power to negotiate treaties, provide gifts, and bargains for scouts and braves to use against the French. The Iroquois became wealthy off the fur trade, not only trapping in their territory to trade with Europe and expanding territory when they started running out of Beaver, but by becoming the middle-men of all other Indian tribes who wished to trade with Europeans (using force if necessary to enforce their ability to do this).

I could go on if I wanted to.

Right, Iroquois could be there own civ, but..

For Native Americans, I put Hiawatha for the Iroquois, Pocahontas for the Powhatan (or just basically those Native Americans from around Virginia) Joseph Brant for the Mohawks, Geronimo for the Apache, Crazy Horse for the Lakota, and Sitting Bull for the Sioux.

You could either have six or more civs, or one with multiple leaderheads. It's really up to anyone to decide for themselves, if they ever get the option. I put six, three for "east" and "western" Native Americans, because of my arbitrary decision to have three per civ, which didn't work out for people like the Nubians or the Huns, and there are plenty of other tribes I didn't include, mainly because I doubt all would be made, so..

Tibetan_Turtle said:
Right, Iroquois could be there own civ, but..

For Native Americans, I put Hiawatha for the Iroquois, Pocahontas for the Powhatan (or just basically those Native Americans from around Virginia) Joseph Brant for the Mohawks

The Mohawks are part of the Iroquois confederacy

hey very good research!

I think including benito mussolini in the italian leaders would be like if you include hitler for the germany....it would be....not very consuelable.
By the way, Garibaldi would be a GREAT(!) leader and also Cavour (I'm happy that you've included him).......you know, the history of the united Italy is very young (compared it to the, for example, france's one). We became an united nation only in the 1861! But from that date, many many great leaders came out;)

under dutch leaders you post leopold and paul kruger?

who is leopold? he is not a dutch leader in past or present. but he was/is(?) a belgian king. as for paul kruger, not a dutch leader either, but the president of the boerenrepubliek of transvaal.

i would suggest changing those leaders to William of Orange, Johan de Wit, and Queen Wilhelmina of Orange

Goodfellow said:
hey very good research!

I think including benito mussolini in the italian leaders would be like if you include hitler for the germany....it would be....not very consuelable.
By the way, Garibaldi would be a GREAT(!) leader and also Cavour (I'm happy that you've included him).......you know, the history of the united Italy is very young (compared it to the, for example, france's one). We became an united nation only in the 1861! But from that date, many many great leaders came out;)

Garibaldi and Cavour are good choices. Mussolini is not.

Why confine Italian leaders to post-unification? This is a game spanning all periods after all. Why not include Italian state leaders like Andrea Doria, Simon Boccanegra, Lorenzo de Medici, Pietro Orseolo, or even that enterprising Norman Roger Hauteville?

-C

I'm very dissapointed that u cant play as Scandinavia, since i'm from sweden.
The leaders should be one great leader from each country. Like Carl den tolfte/XII from sweden and that Margareta fellow from Denmark and that Olaf II guy from Norway. But there's just one problem with Scandinavia. Since Scandinavia is tre countries, what language should the workers and soldiers talk? Norwegian would be cool:D

SuperBeaverInc. said:
The Mohawks are part of the Iroquois confederacy

I thought Joseph Brant sounded familiar (a long time ago, I wanted to find a better list of Iroquois Great Leaders for Civ3 that didn't include Souix and other tribes).

chris8b said:
Garibaldi and Cavour are good choices. Mussolini is not.

Why confine Italian leaders to post-unification? This is a game spanning all periods after all. Why not include Italian state leaders like Andrea Doria, Simon Boccanegra, Lorenzo de Medici, Pietro Orseolo, or even that enterprising Norman Roger Hauteville?

-C

yeah I know, but they were leaders of little states....anyway Lorenzo de Medici was a great leader!

so...you're right:D

I really like the Cnut suggestion for the Vikings. (Good grasp of history there)
As for Harald? (Heh heh) sure, I just like his nickname better. :lol: (Good story)

I really don't understand why Pocahontas is on the Native American list.
She wasn't a leader. I like all the other suggestions (Geronimo, he's so cool).
Nothing against Poca though, I'm sure she was nice. Would be quite nice to see a woman leader too, and after Disney I suppose she's famous. Just mentioning my thoughts.

I think you have a good idea, and it is nice to see so many different cultures and ethnic groups. Will be keeping an eye on the mod list for whatever you develop. Seems like an awful lot of work though, so if you complete it, I suggest you send a resume to Sid. Maybe you'll be a famous dev one day and be riding in a benz, wearing all that bling-bling and jetting around the world with your supermodel girlfriend. (It's my story, Dev's do that in my imagination).

Yea, part of the reason I'm for a Native American civ is that several of the more famous Native American leaders come from the same or similar tribes, or are related somehow. As for Pocahontas.. that's pretty much a given. You have to have her.

As for my Dutch plan, Netherlands, Belgium and Boers can be three separate civs. The list was just what I thought seemed good at the time, but since I haven't been able to fit three leaderheads for every civ, either only one or two or more than four, it really doesn't matter. My decision to have three leaderheads per civ is pretty arbitrary, so feel free to make your own suggestions.

lawine suggested for the Netherlands: Johan de Wit, and Queen Wilhelmina of Orange, as well as William of Orange.

Portugal mentioned for Portugal: King Alfonso Henriques, Sancho II, and of course Henry.

Lorenzo de Medici is a great suggestion for Italy.

These are all great suggestions!

The thing about Native Americans is that the Souix had nothing in common with the Hopi, who had nothing in common with the Powhattans (who, iirc, had only recently conquered a large territory in Virginia by taking advantage of the small pox spreading from New Spain). Pocahantas herself never ruled her tribe. She was one of the few to marry an Englishment (John Rolf) and ended up dying of small pox.

There were significant tribal forces, such as the Souix, the Cherokee, the Iroquois, the Pueblo tribes (such as the Hopi) and others I'm missing. You don't necessarily have to include them all, but I don't think its particularly fair to lump them together.

Louis XXIV said:
The thing about Native Americans is that the Souix had nothing in common with the Hopi, who had nothing in common with the Powhattans.

What they have in common is that, as individual NA tribes, they never rose to the status of great civilization.

(Frankly, in game terms, they shouldn't be represented as more than barbarians)

-C

Tibetan_Turtle said:
Russia: Peter, Catherine, Aleksander Nevsky
How about switching Nevsky out for Lenin or Stalin?

Native Americans: Hiawatha, Pocahontas, Joseph Brant
Pocahontas never led her tribe. How about using her father, Powhaton(sp?), instead?

Mesoamerica: Montezuma, Smoke Jaguar, Princess Donaji
Mesoamerica is a region, not a civilization.

Indochina: King Suryavarman II, Queen Suriyothai, (Ho Chi Minh)
Same as above (or atleast, I think it is).

Anglo-Saxons: Beowulf
Isn't Beowolf only a fictional character?

Other than that, you made a great list!

Halmboy said:
I'm very dissapointed that u cant play as Scandinavia, since i'm from sweden.
The leaders should be one great leader from each country. Like Carl den tolfte/XII from sweden and that Margareta fellow from Denmark and that Olaf II guy from Norway. But there's just one problem with Scandinavia. Since Scandinavia is tre countries, what language should the workers and soldiers talk? Norwegian would be cool:D

They would (should?) speak Old Norse, i.e. the pan-Scandinavian language of the Viking age from which Norwegian, Swedish and Dansish evolved. And where do you find speakers of Old Norse today? Well, in Iceland of course! Modern Icelandic is practically the same language they spoke 1000 years ago.

As for the Viking leaders suggested by the thread-starter, neither Erik the Red nor his son Leif Eriksson were ever rulers. They're just famous for settling Greenland and exploring North America, respectively.

OFF TOPIC: Hey where've the avatars gone? I haven't been to this site for a couple of weeks, I'm confused!

For a female Native American you can use Sack-a-joe-ia (Sorry for the phonics type spelling) I don't know much about her except shes on the gold dollar coin.

What about the Australians? We've had as much of an impact on the world as any other culture. The refridgerator? Australian invention. Inertia Lock (the thing that makes seatbelts work)? Australian invention. Penicillin? Australian discovery.

Robert Menzies, Bob Hawke, Paul Keating.

Top Bottom