16 Bit Windows Subsystem ? Help

eternalrain

Chieftain
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for runing MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.
[close] [ignore]

I get this error evertime I choose Install on the autorun and when I try to install it through exploring the CD. I downloaded the patch but still I get the same error message. :twitch:

I found out why my computer may be doing this but I need someone to help me understand what to do :blush: My questions will be in [brackets]

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
exit
[when I do the above step, it says "No destination specified for D:\i386\config.nt_c:\windows\system32\config.nt " and repeats that for every command]

Start or install the program. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next step.
Note: The Command.com file is not edited or created in this in the following process. Because of this, you may have to expand it from your Windows XP CD-ROM.

Start Notepad.
In Notepad, type the following entries: dos=high, umb
device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys
files=40
On the File menu, click Save As.
In the File Name box, type Config.nt, and then click Save. Close the Config.nt file.
On the File menu, click New.
In the new blank document, type the following entries: @echo off
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3
In the File Name box, type Autoexec.nt, and then click Save. Close the Autoexec.nt file.

[the steps below are confusing to me so if someone could explain them better for the not so computer knowledged person I would appreciate it. Additionally, I do not know what Command.com file it is talking about]

Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the Config.nt file, and then click Copy.
Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.
Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then click Copy.
Locate the Command.com file, right-click the expanded Command.com file, and then click Copy.
Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste. Restart your computer.

Thanks to anyone that trys to help

eternalrain said:
I found out why my computer may be doing this but I need someone to help me understand what to do :blush: My questions will be in brackets:

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
exit
--when I do the above step, it says "No destination specified for D:\i386\config.nt_c:\windows\system32\config.nt " and repeats that for every command

I think there should be a space between the underline character (\config.nt_) and the beginning of the full name (c:\...). Leaving it out would generate the error message you describe.

Start or install the program. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next step.

Try the above first, and if it is not successful try the next part.

Note: The Command.com file is not edited or created in this in the following process. Because of this, you may have to expand it from your Windows XP CD-ROM.

Start Notepad.
In Notepad, type the following entries: dos=high, umb
device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys
files=40
In the File Name box, type Config.nt, and then click Save. Close the Config.nt file.

You just created a new CONFIG.NT file, which is similar to the CONFIG.SYS file you had in DOS/Win16.

On the File menu, click New.
In the new blank document, type the following entries: @echo off
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3
In the File Name box, type Autoexec.nt, and then click Save. Close the Autoexec.nt file.

--the steps below are confusing to me so if someone could explain them better for the not so computer knowledged person I would appreciate it. Additionally, I do not know what Command.com file it is talking about

Now you've created an AUTOEXEC.NT file. The first set of steps was trying to get these two files from the CDROM drive (D:\...); the next group of instructions seems to be telling you how to create them yourself. If fixing the first set does not solve the problem, try the second set.

Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the Config.nt file, and then click Copy.
Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then click Copy.
Locate the Command.com file, right-click the expanded Command.com file, and then click Copy.
Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste. Restart your computer.

Here you are told to find each of the files you created and move them into the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\ folder (if your WIN-NT/2K/XP installation is set up like mine; otherwise you need to find out where %SYSTEMROOT% is, usually by typing SET from Start-Run...).

there isn't a command.com file you didn't tell us how to make one, i got the config.nt and the Autoexec.nt in the SYSTEM32 file but no command.com file

Edit: ok nevermind i got it but now when i try to install it i hear this beep and no message appears, but i do know that my command.com file is causing the problem, cuz whenever i open it through cmd it says that it's doing an illegal operation.

Still not working. Any more information would be most helpful as I have made a bit of progress on my predicament thanks to your information.

I'm having the same problem with my own. At first I thought it had something to do with the bit-color, but it doesn't seem that way due to the complicated response you got..

However, I did manage to get it to work on my dad's old computer and I noticed instantly at the old system used. But, my dad's computer isn't exactly the best place to spend hours playing video games. Can anyone help with this?

"I think there should be a space between the underline character (\config.nt_) and the beginning of the full name (c:\...). Leaving it out would generate the error message you describe."
There is a space where you say there should be...

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_c:\windows\system32\config.nt

Edit: While it looks like the second command is written config. nt, it's not. I'm not sure why my post is having it show up like that.

Top Bottom