16 colors icons...

GenghisK

I was playing diablo yesterday as usual (a game that only runs in 640*480, yes Diablo1) and when I left a really weird phenomenon occured. My normal resolution = 800*600. My wallpaper which was set to "stretch to fit the screen" status was bugging. I explain. Actually it was still stretched, but it seems that a second copy of this wallpaper stretched to fit 640*480 was also "superimposed" over the first one. Here's a screenshot

Plus, all my icons will only show in 16 color mode, and though I was displaying 16bits depth, i.e. thousands of colors! So I tried to switch into 256 color mode and back again to 32000 colors. It would just be the same. I uninstalled the graphic card drivers and reinstalled them.
1) the wallpaper was still bugging when I chose stretch image
2) the icons colors and even some IE sites were displayed in 16 colors...

What to do? I don't want to format and install win2K again!

First, I was tempted to say: just reboot ;) ,but obviously you have done that already.

You might have a look to the display/effects page. There should be a checkbox saying 'Use all colors for symbol display' or something along this line. Check it, if it isn't.

As for the background: have you tried setting it to <none> and then load any other graphic?

Top Bottom