1st game at regent

AIFodder1969

Chieftain
Two quick questions.
First, I'm playing as the Germans (on Panagea) and find myself building loads of Swordsmen to first humble, than destroy Russia in the Ancient Era. I may need to upgrade these units at this Regent level rather than disband them. What is the upgrade path for Swordmen?
Second, I have both the Viking and Celts as well as Russia and Spain in the neighborhood. Russia and Spain will not be problems. Do I try to eliminate the Celts first than the Vikings or the Vikings than the Celts?
Thanks for the help.

upg path for Swords -- med. inf. -- guerrillas -- tow inf.

IMHO, it would depend on what era you're in. The Viking UU, the berserker, can be a very formidable opponent as it attacks with a 5. They get it with Invention, IIRC. If they already have it, then the celts have already had their UU, so they might be easier pickings. FWIW.

EDIT: Almost missed it --
Welcome to CFC!! :beer: :band: :beer:

Attack the Vikings (making sure they don't have beserks). Start upgrading, and building up knights. Your next battle(s) will be with knights, then upgrade to cavalry. Cavs will serve you well (with cannons/muskets and/or artillery/riflemen/infantry) until tanks. You might be able to (if possible) take out a half dozen civs with cavs alone. With tanks, wars become VERY short.

Thanks for the advice. I tried to take on the Spainiards and took some cities but the Dutch wanted tribute. . I refused. . .and then they declared war. The Celts (who had SofZ) also declared war and sent hordes of AC. Needless to say. . I didn't last long!
It looks like I have to change my strategy at this level. . .

Top Bottom