1st real chat -- play 20 turns?

One thing to do: play until 15 turns, but have the DP end the the chat should we build a settler or meet another civ before that. Then we could discuss at length what to do next.

Good discussion so far! Suppose the plan was to continue until a decision point is reached, or n turns is reached, whichever comes first. I was looking for permission to set n higher than 10. Focusing again on the idea that we're not necessarily going on to 20 turns, just until a decision point comes up -- further comments with that clarification?

DaveShack said:
Good discussion so far! Suppose the plan was to continue until a decision point is reached, or n turns is reached, whichever comes first. I was looking for permission to set n higher than 10. Focusing again on the idea that we're not necessarily going on to 20 turns, just until a decision point comes up -- further comments with that clarification?

Who is deciding when a decision point is reached?

Sounds good. Since we have no ideas about the surroundings, the natural first decision point would be the settler, so we can decide where to put him. And he shouldn't pop up too long after turn 10.

I don't like the idea, Mr. President. Just keep n as 10 and hope you get that far.

Again, I ask "what is the hurry?"

Sure, the first 10 turns will likely fly by quicker than donsig can say 'Take it to the forums', but why must we try to get more than 10 in on the first day?

Consider this.... The more turns the DP plays, the less input the citizenry has on the game. Decisions like which direction to explore in, where to send our second (and possibly third) warrior will likely be made by either the DP or the attendees of the chat instead of by the general populace.

Now, I agree that the ten turn limit should not be held fast. I think that the DP should be able to play an extra turn or two if appropriate (ie. one more turn til the next settler is built, etc.). However, the further we go beyond the 10th turn, the more we risk depriving our people of their most treasured right in the demogame - the right to contribute to the decision-making process.

Moreover, I believe that extending the generally accepted limit of 10 turns for even the first chat would be setting a dangerous precedent. I strongly encourage everyone to adhere to the established policy of 10 turns per chat.

40J has always put into words far better than I.

Top Bottom