• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

1v1

Fishheads

Warlord
just curiuos what factors go into 1v1 of units of the same with same factors

for example 2 distroyers, both not veteran how does the game decide which wins? at random?

The outcome of a battle is decided as follows: every unit has
1 attack stength
2 defence strength
3 hitpoints
4 firepower
The outcome is decided:
attack strengthof attacker / ((attackstrength attacker) + (defence strength defender))
All the defence/attack bonuses (veteran, citywalls etc..)will be added by either the defender or attacker.
Next are the hipoints and firepower.
Firepower is the ammount of damage a unit can do. And hitpoints is the ammount a unit can take (both are multiplied by ten!)
Now an entire battle of 2 equal destroyers:
destroyer: 4,4,3,1 attack, defence,hitpoints, firepower)
first outcome of batle 4/(4+4)= 0.5
so half will win and half of the batlles will be lost. first you lose. a destroyer does (firepower) 1 times ten damage = 10 of possible 3 times 10 = 30 (hitpoints) so remain 30-10=20 and the battle goes again etc.. hope it is clear now !!!

All battles are random at their core.

You take the Attack value of the attacker (A) and the Defense value of the defender (D)...then apply all modifiers (veteran, terrain, fortress, walls, etc.) to each number

Then you calculate a ratio (R) using these numbers A/(A+D)=R which will always be somewhere between 0 and 1.

Then the computer starts picking random numbers between 0 and 1. If the number is less than R, the attacker wins, if the number is greater than R, the Defender wins and whoever loses gets 1 hit point taken away for each firepower value of the winner.

So in your example, two non-veteran destroyers facing off the attack and defense strengths are both 4, so R = 4/(4+4) or 0.5 In otherwords every battle is a 50/50 proposition. First one to lose 30 coin tosses (something listed with hit points of "3" really has 30) dies and the other one is likely to be severely damaged.

If the attacker were veteran they get a 50% boost to their attack value, so the ratio would be 6/(6+4) meaning each number draw was a 60/40 advantage to the attacker. On average, a Veteran destroyer will beat a non-veteran destroyer and escape with about 67% damage (i.e., it's bar will be yellow and it will have to limp somewhere to recover) but because it's all random, there is always a chance it turns out differently.

I'm pretty sure that's how individual battles are won and lost. Someone please correct me if I botched this up.

------------------
There are some who call me...Tim

[This message has been edited by TimTheEnchanter (edited February 08, 2001).]

There's a great mathematical exposition of this on the following website...
http://www.adk24.ucam.org/civ2.html (my formatting)
"This leads us to define the Attack Power, "Q", of a unit as:
* the attack strength, TIMES
* the firepower, TIMES
* the (current) number of hit points,
(and the defense power likewise).
In a combat the unit with the highest power is the one likely to win. This means that by keeping the ADM values the same but giving HP and/or FP >1 for the modern units, Microprose have made these units several times more powerful than in Civ I, which seems to accord with my experience (no more battleships being destroyed by phalanxes etc)."

AttackStrength X Firepower X Hitpoints... Wow!

The article also lists some wonderfully useful rules of thumb about when and when not to build libraries, universities, temples, marketplaces etc.

------------------
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin

Top Bottom