2008 Civfanatics NFL Fantasy Football

Oh I say we definitlydo that.

But what if your team sucks? you'd be stuck with it for good? not sure how would that work, sounds cool though...

THe way I would do the Keeper league, is that you only keep 4 player from the previous season, the rest go back into the pool and and then a new draft is held to fill out the rest of your roster

THe way I would do the Keeper league, is that you only keep 4 player from the previous season, the rest go back into the pool and and then a new draft is held to fill out the rest of your roster

Sounds good to me.

i'm in a keeper league w/ some friends and we're in our 14th season :eek: it's definitely fun. here are some of my thoughts on it:

keep the league on the small side - 10 to 12 teams is about right. replacing teams is not fun and it's one of the reasons i gave up the commissionership.

set up the draft in subsequent years to reward the lesser teams. by this i mean that the team that finishes w/ the worst record this season gets the first pick next year; the second worst team gets no.2, and so on. also, the first year of a keeper league should use the snake draft order (eg 1-12 and then 12 back down to 1). however, no snake order in year 2 and onwards. instead, keep it like the nfl does it where it's 1-12 every round. this way, the crappier teams have the draft to fall back on to retool etc.

keep as few players as possible - we used to keep 5 way back in the day and gradually moved downwards. a few years ago we went to 2 total keeper players.

ensure at least a 2 yr committment from each player/gm. this way, they (or the commish) can rest assure that there's at least some building being done.

other benefits of a keeper league:

trading draft picks and moving up or down in the draft order.

lots of off season activities, trades, etc.

the nfl draft is even more fun as we can sort of prognosticate who is going to get what in terms of the draft order being set in already.

we've had a rule in place for as long as i can remember in my keeper league where gm's would get a 1 year "rookie exemption" for drafting and retaining nfl rookies. now, we did this to encourage owners to place higher values on rookies. so a guy like mcfadden this year would be even that much more valuable. wrt the "exemption", if you drafted a rookie and kept him all year then you could 'keep' him for 'free' (ie he wouldn't count against the protected player cap). the exeption lasts for only that 2nd year though. so year 3, he'd have to count against the cap if he were to be retained.

I hope the computer drafts a nice team for me. It'd be fairly annoying to get stuck with only old, declining players.

Maybe I missed this, but is there any specific reason to have the draft of the second league in the middle of the night (in Europe anyway) on monday? The middle of the night is not really a problem if it's in the weekend, but on weekdays it's not an option for me to be there live.

JUst changed the draft date to Tuesday Sept. 2nd ar 5:45 EST. I just realized that I was going to be out of town on Sunday and could not do it then. And being that it is LAbour Day weekend, I would guess that it must have posed a problem for a lot of people.

If that day or tiem is not good, let me know it is open for change. during that first week of Sept.

Sorry for any problems it might have caused.

p.s. I am going to make a new thread for this second league.

Errr can't we do the draft on a weekend? I might not make it if its on a weekday (because of work) , well maybe you can set it up for the same day but a couple of hours later?

I drafted my friends league today. We run 2 qb 2 rb 2 wr te k def/st. Thoughts?

QB- D. McNabb
QB- V. Young
RB- A. Peterson
RB- F. Gore
WR- S. Holmes
WR- L. Coles
TE- A. Gates
DEF- Tampa Bay D/ST
BN- Jacksonville D/ST
BN- Joe Flacco
BN- Michael Turner
BN- Kevin Curtis

I drafted my friends league today. We run 2 qb 2 rb 2 wr te k def/st. Thoughts?

QB- D. McNabb
QB- V. Young
RB- A. Peterson
RB- F. Gore
WR- S. Holmes
WR- L. Coles
TE- A. Gates
DEF- Tampa Bay D/ST
BN- Jacksonville D/ST
BN- Joe Flacco
BN- Michael Turner
BN- Kevin Curtis

You could be in trouble at QB and WR

At WR: Curtis is injured, so if either Coles or Holmes gets banged up early, you're left with the free agency pool.

At QB: McNabb is an injury risk. Flacco's a rookie and Young is woefully inconsistent (not to mention inaccurate). So you don't exactly have any sure bets here.

I do like your depth at RB and defense and the TE looks good too. Who's your kicker?

Hi guys, sorry for not talking here with you, but i am away form Computers for a longer Time, so i will not be able to follow through the Season. Therefore i will not Draft a Team, might be unfair and not that fun if u cant edit the Team for a longer time.

I would love to but this year is a no go for me. Hope to see ya next season...

Oh yeah I forgot. K is Josh Scobee. I know McNabb is an injury risk, but for the last 2 seasons he has been a top 3 qb until he goes down. If he stays up he should do fine. If he goes down I'm in big trouble. Anyone know the timetable on Curtis' hernia?

Anyone know the timetable on Curtis' hernia?

At least six weeks is what I read...
hernia's are tricky, hard to predict in terms of recovery.

My team from another league:

QB Matt Hasselbeck
WR Braylon Edwards
WR Torry Holt
WR Anquan Boldin
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Clinton Portis
TE Chris Cooley
K Jason Elam
DEF San Diego

Current Bench:

QB Eli Manning
WR Marvin Harrison
RB Marion Barber
RB Edgerrin James
WR Donald Driver
RB Reggie Bush

What do you all think?

I'd drop edge for another defense.

I'd drop edge for another defense.

I'd keep James and drop Bush for another defense only if you see that the Chargers' defense isn't producing...

Draft is in 5 hours!

Top Bottom