2016 MLB Season

Conor Gillaspie again has a big hit late in the game, and the Giants overcome Bryant's home run and Almora's diving catch in the 9th to win the game.

EYBS confirmed.

I noticed that Major League is leaving Netflix next month. Maybe I'll watch it again, in honor of the Indians. Someone on the radio was noting that while the Cavs won the title, Cleveland is still a Browns & Indians town. The current UFC heavyweight champion is also from Cleveland, so they have a real shot at becoming the new "Title Town" (Boston had it for a while; I'm not sure any city has claim to it currently.)

Clayton Kershaw vs Kyle Hendricks at Wrigley tomorrow night. Kershaw in Game 2 at Wrigley last Sunday: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1BB, 6 K. I wouldn't be shocked to see a Game 7, and Rich Hill would be on deck for the Dodgers, who wiped out the Cubs in LA on Tuesday (6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K).

I noticed that Major League is leaving Netflix next month. Maybe I'll watch it again, in honor of the Indians. Someone on the radio was noting that while the Cavs won the title, Cleveland is still a Browns & Indians town. The current UFC heavyweight champion is also from Cleveland, so they have a real shot at becoming the new "Title Town" (Boston had it for a while; I'm not sure any city has claim to it currently.)

Yeah, two out of three major-league sports teams (plus their AHL affiliate) winning championships in the same season would be a helluva turnaround for a city that last won a championship in... *looks it up* 1964. I bet the Browns feel even worse than usual, now.

The Cubs made it. I guess Hell does occasionally freeze over after all.

I don't really have a favorite here, so I just hope it's a good series.

Well, that was a thumping. 15 whiffs.

The Cubs are done...Really poor effort on offense with just 2 runs in as many games and with the Cleveland bullpen playing as dominant as they have been, it's almost impossible that Chicago can turn things around...I guess they are gonna have to keep waiting for another year for a championship...

Hey now, down 3-1 isn't out. Cleveland, at least, should be well aware of that.

I want the Cubs to win, but it's not looking good...Perhaps they can win tonight and extend the series...

The Cubs are done...Really poor effort on offense with just 2 runs in as many games and with the Cleveland bullpen playing as dominant as they have been, it's almost impossible that Chicago can turn things around...I guess they are gonna have to keep waiting for another year for a championship...

I'm gonna be the first one to say I was wrong...The Cubs are back in it! It's like a different team played the last two games... It seems like the Cubs play better on the road, perhaps they felt too much pressure at Wrigley Field...Game 7 tomorrow!

A Cleveland radio guy on NPR says the flights coming in from Chicago today are all full, and tickets are selling for over $4,000.

So, any picks or predictions for tonight? Corey Kluber (Cle) and Kyle Hendricks (Chi-C) the likely starters. ESPN has the Cubs at -115. Bleacher Report has the Cubs at -120.

I don't see how the Cubs are the favorites, even by such tiny margins. Kluber has slammed the door in the Cubs' faces so far: 12 IP, 9 H, 1 BB, 15 K. 0.75 ERA, 0.83 WHIP. And Andrew Miller hasn't pitched since Saturday.

Last one to leave, shut off the lights.

The winner of this year's World Series is the
Spoiler :
Chicago Cubs!

The Curse of the Billy Goat has been lifted!

Oh, and Back to the Future Part II was off by one year.

Last edited:
Things that have happened between the Cubs last two World Series Victories (October 14, 1908-November 2, 2016):

-Humans walked on the North and South Poles and the Moon for the first time.
-There were 27 US Presidential Elections and 18 Presidents, 9 of whom weren't born yet in 1908, and 4 of whom would live their entire lives without the Cubs winning the World Series.
-The US Constitution was amended 12 times, giving directly-elected Senators, allowing income taxes, starting and ending Alcohol Prohibition, granting the right to vote to 18-year-old women living in Washington DC while outlawing poll taxes as a requirement to vote, setting inauguration day back into January, formally putting into writing the long traditions of no president gets more than 2 terms and how to deal with succession when a president dies, and barring congress from voting itself a pay raise that would take effect before the next election.
-The Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires collapsed, leading to the creation of Austria, Hungary, Czechia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Israel, Lebanon, and Jordan, among some other major border shifts.
-Two World Wars ravaged Europe and Asia and, well, everywhere.
-The old European Empires that used to own most of Africa and Asia fell and increased the number of countries in the world from about 60 to about 200.
-The Soviet Union rose and fell, as did Communism with it.
-China went from a Monarchy to a Republic-In-Name-Only to a Left-Wing Communist Faction, a Right-Wing Nationalist Faction, and the invading Imperial Japanese Army fighting for control of the country, to a Communist dictatorship, to a Kinda-but-not-really-Communist dictatorship.
-Some things that were invented: Commerical Radio Broadcasting, Television, Sliced Bread, Tanks, Warplanes, Satellites, Atomic Bombs, Microwave Ovens, Transistors, Lasers, The Internet
-Halley's Comet passed Earth, twice.
-Pluto was discovered, named a planet, then stripped of its planethood, making the total number of known planets in the solar system the same as it was in 1908- though the number of planets known outside the solar system has increased by thousands.
-While we're on the subject of astronomy, in 1908 it was thought that the Milky Way was the extent of the universe, whereas now we know it is much, much larger, if it even has a finite size at all, with the observable part of it containing hundreds of billions of galaxies with hundreds of billions of stars each.
-The world population rose from about 1.5 billion to about 7.5 billion. Of those 1.5 billion alive in 1908, around a thousand are still alive today. The oldest currently living person was 8 years old on October 14, 1908, the oldest currently living American was 5.
-As long as we're on the subject of age: Babe Ruth was 13, living in an orphanage, Mark Twain was 72, reports of his death still greatly exaggerated, Albert Einstein was 29, having already published several hugely important papers in his annus mirabilis a few years prior, with much more work on General Relativity yet to come, Dwight D. Eisenhower was celebrating his 18th birthday the same day the Cubs won.

So Lebron had this at his Halloween party

Spoiler :

I know "instant karma" isn't how karma works, but it's damn funny to think about it that way

and no Cleveland fans, "we didn't have Irving and Love" doesn't let you stick an asterisk next to this championship, either

Top Bottom