2018 NFL Regular Season!!!!

I haven't watched Saints games but going off the stats:

Marcus Davenport is not playing remotely like somebody worth two first round picks. I'd like to hear Light_Clerics opinion.

He was raw so he hasn't played too many snaps yet and that was the plan all along. He's looked good when he's been on the field.

That said, I didn't like the trade in the first place because a 1st-rounder(even a late one) is an enormous resource to give up.

If he can't get on the field and produce pressure against the NY Giants, he might be a bust. At two first rounders a guy can't be a bust, or even look like he might be a bust.

And he's going to have to. The Giants have some legit weapons on that offense.

the announcer for this game is unbearable.

Actual 'compliment' they gave to Mayfield. "he's got that Tony Romo like quality" :rolleyes:

They would not have selected him with the first overall pick if they thought he'd be no better than that homo.

That's Troy Aikman. Gotta expect a little 'puke centric announcing from him.

Baker Mayfield looks very sharp. Dunno what happened to Tyrod Taylor since he got hurt before I tuned in, but I'd say he lost his job. Of course it is the Jets, and they prepared for a much different offense than they are seeing right now.

It's hard to know how much of this is because Mayfield is legit and how much of it is because of the lack of tape on him (thus knowing how to counter).

Either way, the Browns fanbase will be pissed if they don't start up him from here on out.

Not just lack of tape, but as I said the Jets were prepared for "break contain, throw on the run" Tyrod Taylor. You have to cover for a longer time but less tight against that. Mayfield threw absolute darts that I'm not sure tight coverage could stop. That kind of accuracy allows you to call much different plays. Teams are going to have to prepare a lot differently for the Browns with him in there.

Would it not be effective if the Browns just randomly played them both? Serious question even though it sounds stupid.

Would it not be effective if the Browns just randomly played them both? Serious question even though it sounds stupid.

Doesn't really sound stupid. Whoever they are playing next week is going to have to prepare for both, unless the Browns make some announcement, and preparing for both is hard. The flip side is that there is only so much practice time for the Browns, and they would have to prepare for both also. I doubt that they could really make it work. The Cowboys alternated starters one season in...the...seventies? Sixties maybe? But both those quarterbacks were veterans who were established as starting caliber quarterbacks. I think anything like that at this point would carry too much chance of setting Mayfield back.

fair enough, thanks

Bonus point quiz question: ultimate quarterback controversy.

Tom Landry, coach of the Dallas Cowboys, was the first coach to send in the plays. Previously, quarterbacks called the plays in the huddle, theoretically following a game plan that the coaches had bashed into their head during the week. Landry came up with the alternating guard, substituting a lineman on every play to deliver the play to his quarterback. During the ultimate quarterback controversy two quarterbacks alternated starts, and famously in one game Landry upgraded his alternating guard system by alternating his quarterbacks every play, sending them each in with the play he wanted run.

Twenty points (if you don't google) for the first to name one of the two quarterbacks, fifty if you get them both in the same post. You have to allow two other people to take a shot before you can try again.

There's an old saying that if you have two quarterbacks, you have none. Tyrod Taylor is like the physical embodiment of mediocre. He's not going to lose the game for you but prime Randy Moss could be running down the sidelines and Tyrod would still throw it away rather than risk a pass where a defender is within 20 yards of it. Before we turned it into a curbstomp and I stopped watching, there were multiple times in Saints-Bills last year where he had dudes WIDE OPEN and couldn't/wouldn't hit them to save his life, and I wish I could find that clip against the Jags where he sees a wide open receiver for a 1st down, thinks about it, then throws the damn ball away. Never seen a QB more risk-averse. It's insanity.

Bonus point quiz question: ultimate quarterback controversy.

Tom Landry, coach of the Dallas Cowboys, was the first coach to send in the plays. Previously, quarterbacks called the plays in the huddle, theoretically following a game plan that the coaches had bashed into their head during the week. Landry came up with the alternating guard, substituting a lineman on every play to deliver the play to his quarterback. During the ultimate quarterback controversy two quarterbacks alternated starts, and famously in one game Landry upgraded his alternating guard system by alternating his quarterbacks every play, sending them each in with the play he wanted run.

Twenty points (if you don't google) for the first to name one of the two quarterbacks, fifty if you get them both in the same post. You have to allow two other people to take a shot before you can try again.

Roger Staubach? Only cowboys QB I ever remember hearing about from that time period.

Bam Speedy snatches 20 points. Anyone know the alternate starter?

Roger Staubach and Craig Morton

Roger Staubach and Craig Morton

Well done. Twenty points for you as well, since BamSpeedy beat you to Staubach...who eventually won the starting role and went on to fame and fortune. Craig Morton went on to become the first NFL quarterback to start in the Super Bowl for two different teams. In my opinion...at the time and to this day...he was the better quarterback, but he wasn't having it with Landry's 'innovations.' Landry wanted a minion, and Morton wouldn't let go of the glory days; when the quarterback was a genuine field general, swaggering into the huddle and calling the play for better or worse.

Man, the Chiefs offense is just a buzzsaw. I don't even like the Niners and I feel sorry for them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Mahomes has broken the record for TDs in three games to open a season...and still has a full half to go. Question is whether the Chiefs will ease off in the second half or score seventy.

Last edited:
So Jimmy Garoppolo tore his ACL today. Glad to know I can stop being even remotely optimistic about the 9ers this year.

I just got a roughing the passing penalty for watching the highlight of Clay Matthew's penalty for sacking Alex Smith. I love the video of Mike McCarthy's face being redder than Tom Coughlin at Lambeau when he charged towards the ref who was backpeddling away from him lol

This is the first year I have actually watched less football because of how bad the product has become. Defensive players have to bend the laws of gravity to not get flagged.

Also RIP Owen, that's so brutal :/ Sorry bro

Top Bottom