3 requests for three animations for my mod

Exsanguination

No longer here
Anyone (Dark Sheer????) who will make me either or both of these animations will have my love forever:

1) A Hypaspist - Basically a Hoplite with a short sword (heavily armed)

2) Phalanx - Just some variation on the Hoplite for some contrast (esp longer pike, or sarissa as they called it)

3) Thracian (or maybe Scythian... not sure) Horseman - Horseman with bow and arrow.

I have no ability whatsoever to animate or draw or do any of that rad stuff, so please help me...

Hello, me again.

I might be able to help. I'm up to my neck at the minute in trying to create a Horse Archer unit for Edgler Vess and myself. It's based apon the Bowman unit on horseback, but I've only got the horse done so far. When finished it should be suitable as a Scythian/Persian/Pathian/Sassanid/Hun/Saracen Horse Archer unit (I want to make a separate UU Mongol horseman as well).

If you can wait I'll have a go at the Hypaspist and Phalangite as well (I'm no Dark Sheer so I'm finding it hard work!). If you can't wait, or if anyone else wants to have a go, I suggest the following:-

Hypaspist = Use the Legionary but with a Hoplite shield, a Hoplite type helmet, no cloak, and bronze armour (it already has bronze greaves on it's legs, but they are hard to see and are not that important).

Phalangite = Use the Hoplite but with a slightly smaller round shield, a two handed pike, and no plume on the helmet (hopliteAttackB.fic looks best, with the pike kept horizontal).

The Macedonians, like the Spartans and the Romans (and the British!) wore red tunics, and their shield pattern was eight silver lines evenly spaced around a cental boss which they did not touch, and with a gap between them and the shield edge, in a star shape (damn, I wish I had a scanner!).

I think I'll put the horse archer on hold for the moment (I'm sick of horses!) and have a go at this as it looks easier. Anyway, there's no point in my playing on with my current game of civ as Dark Sheer is about to finish his new Bandit unit, which I MUST add to my mod (hope your'e feeling guilty Mr Sheer!). So leave it with me.....

Originally posted by Kryten
Hello, me again.

I might be able to help. I'm up to my neck at the minute in trying to create a Horse Archer unit for Edgler Vess and myself. It's based apon the Bowman unit on horseback, but I've only got the horse done so far. When finished it should be suitable as a Scythian/Persian/Pathian/Sassanid/Hun/Saracen Horse Archer unit (I want to make a separate UU Mongol horseman as well).

If you can wait I'll have a go at the Hypaspist and Phalangite as well (I'm no Dark Sheer so I'm finding it hard work!). If you can't wait, or if anyone else wants to have a go, I suggest the following:-

Hypaspist = Use the Legionary but with a Hoplite shield, a Hoplite type helmet, no cloak, and bronze armour (it already has bronze greaves on it's legs, but they are hard to see and are not that important).

Phalangite = Use the Hoplite but with a slightly smaller round shield, a two handed pike, and no plume on the helmet (hopliteAttackB.fic looks best, with the pike kept horizontal).

The Macedonians, like the Spartans and the Romans (and the British!) wore red tunics, and their shield pattern was eight silver lines evenly spaced around a cental boss which they did not touch, and with a gap between them and the shield edge, in a star shape (damn, I wish I had a scanner!).

I think I'll put the horse archer on hold for the moment (I'm sick of horses!) and have a go at this as it looks easier. Anyway, there's no point in my playing on with my current game of civ as Dark Sheer is about to finish his new Bandit unit, which I MUST add to my mod (hope your'e feeling guilty Mr Sheer!). So leave it with me.....

Actually when you type this the unit has already finished and posted. :lol:

Sorry about that, mate. ;) And trust me, I come to hate horses after I completed this unit. Man, editing a total of close to 900 frames can really be a pain!! But you gotta love those death flc, it still is THE best flc so far. :cooool:

How does he do them so quickly?!

Anyway, it's taken me 2 hours to quickly knock-up this rough unaminated example of a Macedonian Phalangite, with the original Hoplite as a comparison (an Hypaspist would look like the Hoplite but with a sword and the same pattern on it's already large shield):-

I can't make the the sarissa/pike much longer because it must stay within the cell/frame, and the unit looks better in red.

Attachments

• phalangite_example.gif
    phalangite_example.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 169
Where is this Mounted Archer you speak of, Dark Sheer? I can't find it anywhere.

I make a mounted rifleman (western bandit). The original mounted warrior for the Iroquis is already a mounted archer. ;)

I am attaching a gif to prove that. :D

Attachments

• mountedwarriorattacka_sw.gif
    mountedwarriorattacka_sw.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 146
oh, i thought you made an archer on a horse. sorry.

Originally posted by sween32
Where is this Mounted Archer you speak of, Dark Sheer? I can't find it anywhere.

Here is a quick and very rough (I emphasize ROUGH!) version of the Mounted Archer I'm working on. As I said earlier in this thread, I hope this unit will be a suitable unit for the Scythians/Persians/Parthians/Sassanids/Huns/Avars/Saracens/Marmalukes/bleedin mounted Elves or anything else you can think of!
It should be finished by this weekend (that sounds sufficiently vague!).

Please note that the unit is attacking/defending in the SW direction, the same as the Mounted Warrior that Dark Sheer posted above (Horse Archers shot their bows at the gallop, and I think that it looks better that way rather than standing still).

This shows how much about Paintshop Pro I've got to learn! I was having trouble trying get the image to animate.

I think I've sussed it......

Attachments

• horsearcher_previewx.gif
    horsearcher_previewx.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 131
Hey Kryten!

This is a great animation! I look forward to the complete animation! This is as good as Dark Sheer's units!

Kryten... you are a GOD. I bow down to your greatness. If you'd like, you can help me as a co-creator of the Alex the Great Mod. Dude... I can never thank you enough (I can use these, right????).

I'm currently tediously creating an extremely accurate map of Alex's conquest and I can only work on it every weekend, so actual mod development is slooooooooooooow...

But if you'd like to help me out Kryten, gimme a shout. You rule.

Those animations are awesome.

oooh, i forgot one very important UU i'd also like if at all possible (do I sound greedy? If I do, sorry!)

the peltast - Basically a very lightly armed spearman who would have bombarb range (one square radius). It would an ancient era unit, but obviously it would be quite powerful. Its animation should be the unit throwing a spear.

again, I love anyone who makes me units.

No problem mate. And your'e right, you must have Peltasts (I'll try to get some sleep next month!).

The Spearman unit should be easy to convert to a Peltast as it already has the right shield shape. He just needs to throw a javelin, have two extra javelins in his left hand behind the shield, then give him a 'Thracian' type helmet (which looks like the helmet the civ3 Cavalry unit has, but the plume is bronze instead of feathers. This is also the helmet ALL the Macedonians wore, including the Hypaspists).The shield would be plain with a central spine and an oblong iron boss.

(I'd much sooner make the units than have to try and make a map without a zoom!)

Now I know why you never finish your games, Kryten.

Its not because of my units, its because of the time you spend on this wonderful unit !! ;)

It looks great I must say! I am eagerly awaiting the completion of this one! :cooool:

Originally posted by Dark Sheer
I am eagerly awaiting the completion of this one! :cooool:

Why thank you Dark Sheer. This is high praise indeed. I just hope I can finish it before I die of old age! ("less chatting Kryten and more unit making!")......

That's an excellent link for the peltsat Exsanguination. Cheers! I think I'll go for the later heavy peltast with the Thracian helmet. He looks 'hard' as we say in Britain.

Top Bottom