Wonder Graphics: La Scala

Ukas

Pthooey of Tomainia
Hopefully you like this one: The Great Operahouse La Scala of Milan. It's done as Nahuixtelotzin's request.

Decided to do a rare (perhaps first) night time pic, since city view doesn't restrict buildings in other places. Opera is after all a night time entertainment. In production queue you will see a fat lady singing.

Guess what it is used for? Happy faces! :lol:

Ukas

La-di-daa:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/LaScala.zip

The preview:

Attachments

• lascalalargepreview.jpg
    lascalalargepreview.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,524
cool, did you just take a real picture of the house and cut it into the pic?

I wish I could have, since my goal is to produce a believable pictures and I 'm only happy to use existing stuff. But if I do just that, like with Ziggurat and some of those Roman buildings I make a point saying so.

As you know in Civ buildings are drawn, not photos. If I cut something I usually go through the whole cut recoloring it and making new lights and shadows with a one pixel brush. For example with bathhouse I did it twice since the first one just didn't look right and I also changed the perspective manually. After I was finished there was little left from the cut I had. The Ziggurat is the only building which demanded practicly no work, the pic I used was already a drawn computer model.

As I see it there is some rules for believable building graphics: It must be close to the Civ3 perspective and color so you can imagine it to be a part of the city. Then the building has to look heavy, like it really lays there.

Sometimes when I do a building completely from a scrath like it looks kind of light, like it is floating one feet above the ground. Sometimes I manage well like with the Slave plantation. But if there's a simplest structural cut to be used I'll use it for the outcomes sake. Unlike Mr. Adolf Hitler, I'm a painter not an architect. :D

And that is clearly visible when you look at my statue wonders, I draw the statue always but use that same pedestal every time :lol:

La Scala took time. I used the two pics you can see below. From b&w one I took the cut and pasted that on the grass. The night pic I just looked at and painted the whole thing on top of the cut except the roof which I colored with the photoshop.

The fast answer grew to be a whole monologue about my work as Civ3 constructor! :crazyeye:

ukas

Attachments

• lascalas.jpg
    lascalas.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,267
:goodjob: Thanks Ukas, you're the best[dance]

Heeeeey, you suppose you could do the Hagia Sophia? I'm working on a scenario on the Byzantine Empire, and I need all the help I can get. BTW great stuff you got there

It would be great if someone could convert the city view to night time view. I may try it for my 20th century mod. It would look great for the blitz with search lights etc...

The Sydney Opera is available in Kal-El's DyP mod, IIRC.

When I saw "La Scala", I immediately thought: Who would want to make a wonder graphic out of one of the best Italian restaurants in my city? Then I saw what you were talking about and had to laugh. Nice work, by the way.

Top Bottom