4th Annual CivFanatics Chess Tournament

Err, is it stll available? If so, sign me up.

RedrichSchuckhart is the account name.

18 players - good turn out!

I'd join too if it's not too late yet. Username on chess.com is Harovan. I just registered and to my shame I have to admit, that I never played chess over an internet platform yet.

Unfortunately Ralph the tournament is already underway, however, I'm sure some forum members would be willing to accept a match request. :)

Unfortunately punkbass timed out half his games, hopefully he'll be back to finish the 2nd ones before they too time out on move 1. I tried e-mail, messaging & even facebook, he must be offline.

I will be in Russia for the next two weeks, so my moves might take some time... up to 3, 4 days, since I won't always have internet there. Or rather, I will rarely have internet there.

Well, I'm mad as I literally misclicked against punkbass like 2nd move (as in didn't mean to click submit move), but I would have lost to him anyways.

Unfortunately punkbass timed out half his games, hopefully he'll be back to finish the 2nd ones before they too time out on move 1. I tried e-mail, messaging & even facebook, he must be offline.
I like to think that he wanted to give me a chance.

After a terrible beginning, I managed to wrest a victory from punkbass and feeling pretty darn good right now. Maybe I don't suck in this game as bad as I had thought. Now I only need to repeat my last tourney's win over Narz :)mischief:) to take the lead in my group!

I'll copy the game here: I hope punkbass forgives me for this bit of gloating!
Spoiler :
1.e4 c5
2.Nf3 e6
3.d4 cxd
4.Nxd4 Nf6
5.e5? I - made the mistake of assuming I was playing against a rookie and wasn't looking at what I did too closely. Of course, punishment didn't have to be waited for:
- Qa5+!
6.Qd2 Qxe5+
7.Be2 Bc5
8.Nf3 Qf5
9.Bd3 Qh5
10.Nc3 Nc6
11.a3 b6
12.b4 Bd6
13.Be2 Bc7
14.Nb5 Bb8
15.Bb2 Ne4
16.Qe3 f5
A pawn short, I had generally harassed his pieces and attempted to exploit the fact that his queen was drawn out and maybe trap it, but he was too good for that.
17.Ng5? I made a mistake of opening a chess.com after a night of rum and poker. What seemed like a brilliant idea sometime after midnight, of course turned out to be just a knight thrown away next morning:
- Qxg5
I decide this game is most likely lost.
18.Qxg5 Nxg5
19.Bh5+ Kf8 - Could stop him castling, at least...if there only was a way to use this....
20.O-O Rg8
21.h4 Ne4
22.Nc3 Nxc3 - Tried to get rid of the dangerous knight on his kingside - and being ahead in materiel, he accepted the exchange.
23.Bxc3 g6
24.Bf3 Ba6
25.Rfd1 d5
26.Rxd5 exd5 - I cross the Rubicon and temporarily sacrifice a rook in an attack, fully expecting to fail spectacularily.
27.Bxd5 Bb7
28.b5 Nd8
29.Bb4+ Kg7
30.Bc3+ Kh6
31.Bxg8 Bd6 - I've retaken my rook and two pawns on top of it. Things start looking brighter.
32.f3 Rc8 -I curse myself for this probably unnecessary move, as I see an opportunity for an attack.
33.Rd1 Bxa3 - Luckily, it is not too late yet!
34.Rd7 Nf7 - Threatening mate in one.
35.Bd2+ g5
36.Bxf7 Ba8 - Got my knight back.
37.Bxg5+ Kg7
38.Be6+ Kg6
39.Rxa7 Bb2? - was surprised - Bc5+ would have saved him his rook...
40.Bxc8 Bd5 ...which I now take.
41.Bd7 Bc4
42.Be8+ - opponent surrenders.

Well, the ads on chess.com made my day. I use ChocolateUSA there (my favourite cfc poster), and the ad in the lower left was about chocolate mousse.

Dunno if it's google ads, but at other forums google ads are scarily good/funny. As in the right ad for the right thread.

Can you prove that someone won't cheat on an online tourney like this by just using a computer set to grandmaster level to make the moves for them?

Can you prove that someone won't cheat on an online tourney like this by just using a computer set to grandmaster level to make the moves for them?
Well, the chess.com staff monitors the games (especially ones that are reported). If you put your finished game into a top-level computer engine afterwards & it thinks 100% of your opponent's moves were the #1 best move you know something's fishy.

It is certainly possible to try to stealthily cheat, only using the engine at pivotal moments during the game. I can only hope no one in our tourney tries to do this.

Personally, I would never cheat. I don't see the point in it (especially online where there's no prize money on the line). I want to win because I'm nice like that & if I lose I want to learn from it. :)

Really interesting game I had with Chamnix... can't exactly provide a blow-by-blow commentary, but, well, look at it and see for yourself. I had some very interesting heavy piece moves toward the end, I enjoyed this game a lot.

Spoiler :
1.e4 c5
2.Nc3 Nc6
3.Nf3 g6
4.d4 cxd4
5.Nxd4 Bg7
6.Nxc6 bxc6
7.Bc4 Nf6
8.O-O O-O
9.e5 Ne8
10.Re1 d5
11.Bb3 Ba6
12.e6 fxe6
13.Rxe6 Qd7
14.Rxc6 Bb7
15.Bxd5 +Kh8
16.Rc5 Bxc3
17.bxc 3e6
18.Qd4 +Nf6
19.Bxb7 Qxb7
20.Bh6 Rf7
21.Bg5 Kg7
22.g4 h6
23.Bxf6 +Rxf6
24.h4 Kf7
25.Qc4 Qf3
26.Rc7 +Kg8
27.Qd4 Raf8
28.Rb1 e5
29.Rbb7 R8f7
30.Qd8 +Kg7
31.Qxf6 +Qxf6
32.Rxf7 +Qxf7
33.Rxf7 +Kxf7
34.Kg2 Ke6
35.Kf3 Kd5
36.Ke3 Kc4
37.Ke4 Kxc3
38.Kxe5 Kxc2
39.f4

Wow nice game aginst Chamnix Kullervo, very impressive! With col on top of our group and only two advancement slots, I hope you realise that I'm not going to be settling for a draw in our second game!

Top Bottom