4th Cumulative WW2 Quiz

I have neither the time nor the energy to ask a question, please go ahead anybody.

I'm in a german tank (Pz III or IV) in the desert, in 1941. Which enemy gun REALLY scares me?

Too early for the 17pdr or even the 6pdr, so I will go out on a limb the 25pdr

As an aside its worth mentioning that one other gun could have been just as deadly if not even more so. The QF 3.7 inch AA gun was the closest thing the British had to the 88 but it was rarely used in alternative roles. This was because it was heavy and the mounting did not suit use against ground targets.

Some indication of how powerful it might have been in the right circumstances though can be gauged by the fact that later in the war it was developed into the 32pndr gun used on the experimental Tortoise tank. In tests it punched through the armour of a Panther tank at a range of a 1000 yards.

So in conclusion I don't think it would have had much trouble against an early Panzer IV! :D

Err?... no... (and what AAA were you thinking of?)

I think I once read about the Allies using anti-aircraft gun to destroy Panzers, I think it might have been at El Alamein.

And where, in the desert in 1941, would a german tanker become aquainted enough with that weapon to fear it?...

That rather missed the point since I wasn't making a serious reply to the question. Since the AT potential of the 3.7 isn't that well known I thought it would be interesting to mention it.

I think I once read about the Allies using anti-aircraft gun to destroy Panzers, I think it might have been at El Alamein.
The aforementioned 3.7 inch was used on occasion as an AT gun, but quite rarely. The older 3 inch AA guns were converted to pure AT, but primarily stationed in Britain.
I believe the pompom was used with AP ammunition aboard aircraft (keep in mind the 2pdrAA gun was not the same as the 2pdr AT gun. Some other lighter AA guns may have been used in this purpose as well.

If someone wants to ask a question go ahead, I won't have one for a while (to be honest I forgot this thread existed and my mind is firmly pre-WWII right now).

All right, I'll have a go....

What did sheep have to do with Unternehmen Barbarossa, the German attack on the USSR?

pretty sure this was an earlier question

pretty sure this was an earlier question

Really? Must have missed that one ... in that case I withdraw the question, someone else can go!

In case anyone is interested, I'll give the answer - Victor Suvorov told that tale in Icebreaker, I'm not sure I believe it, but maybe it's true...

According to him, Stalin's spymaster had agents checking the price for sheepskin and mutton in western markets daily. He reasoned that, if the German armies massed on the border were to actually attack the USSR, they would need to be equipped with winter gear, which would necessitate large numbers of sheepskins. If the price of sheepskin went up, while the price of mutton sank at the same time (due to mass slaughter of sheep), that would be an indicator of an imminent attack.

Since Hitler and the General Staff believed in a quick victory and didn't buy winter gear, no such market fluctuation appeared, and so he assured Stalin, right up until the actual German attack, that no preparations had been made and so no attack would occur.

Really? Must have missed that one ... in that case I withdraw the question, someone else can go!

In case anyone is interested, I'll give the answer - Victor Suvorov told that tale in Icebreaker, I'm not sure I believe it, but maybe it's true...

According to him, Stalin's spymaster had agents checking the price for sheepskin and mutton in western markets daily. He reasoned that, if the German armies massed on the border were to actually attack the USSR, they would need to be equipped with winter gear, which would necessitate large numbers of sheepskins. If the price of sheepskin went up, while the price of mutton sank at the same time (due to mass slaughter of sheep), that would be an indicator of an imminent attack.

Since Hitler and the General Staff believed in a quick victory and didn't buy winter gear, no such market fluctuation appeared, and so he assured Stalin, right up until the actual German attack, that no preparations had been made and so no attack would occur.

yep, that's the one!

Top Bottom