5CC Space Race interest thread

sk8boardbob2

Warlord
I've played Civ III much less been on this site in at least 6 months and want to slowly get back into Civ. There's only one non modded SG going on right now and that's AW so I was thinking maybe a more peaceful alternative. 5CC should make turnsets quicker so people are less likely to lose interest and space race to make it peaceful. I was thinking playing with either the Russians or Americans in keeping with the space race theme. I normally play on regent or monarch so I was thinking maybe monarch for this one? I'll brute force us some starting locations and see if there's any interest.

Hey! Long time, no see. I'm definitely interested in playing, 5CC makes for much less note taking, for sure. Russia will be easier to get to space IMHO, but either tribe is fine. I like BACDE in that order of the American starts, and CDEBA of the Russian starts. Pencil me in.

What's the barbarian setting? Did you preselect opponents? How many opponents?

Standard map size, 60% pangaea, temperate, default # of opponents, random, 4 million years, roaming barbs, monarch difficulty, normal aggressiveness, anything I'm missing?

If you don't mind Overseer, I'd rather have you or someone else do the first turnset. I'm generally pretty bad a starting out and seeing how you guys handle it would be a pretty good learning experience. I guess 20 turns for the first round and 10 then on?

Standard map size, 60% pangaea, temperate, default # of opponents, random, 4 million years, roaming barbs, monarch difficulty, normal aggressiveness, anything I'm missing?

If you don't mind Overseer, I'd rather have you or someone else do the first turnset. I'm generally pretty bad a starting out and seeing how you guys handle it would be a pretty good learning experience. I guess 20 turns for the first round and 10 then on?

That would be fine for me, I like the world setting, should make for a faster science pace. At Monarch, we will be able to build a few wonders and stay alive with a smallish empire. 20 first, then 10 should work, maybe later 5 if things get really busy. b

I am quite interested in taking part

I would try setting on coast for early colossus, giving extra trade in capital until flight and early tourist attaction money

i presume with just 5 cities cxxxc rather than cxxc and aim to build hospitals?

lurker's comment: How large a roster are you looking for? I'm not really into space, but I'm into 5CC.

EDIT:

del62 said:
i presume with just 5 cities cxxxc rather than cxxc and aim to build hospitals?

With 5CC, there is the option of placing cities an extra tile or two apart as necessary to cover more area and get resources. And yes, hospitals, along with possibly cathedrals/colosseums for culture/happiness.

EDIT again: I'd like to join, if you'll have me. Will post my opinions regarding the starts if you guys decide to pencil me in :)

Both Del and Sashie you are both welcome to join. I think the first thing we need to decide is whether to be American or Russian to narrow down the maps. If we want to do Colossus in the captial, D for Russian and B&A for American look pretty good. When I play 5CC, I usually avoid a predetermined plan for city placement and just put them where resources are/ might appear in the future and make sure there's little to no overlap in city squares. Keep in mind we can only have 1 army so we can't use an army as a prebuild unless we disband the original. As soon as we decide on a starting save, I'll post it up and we can begin.

Roster so far
The Overseer714
Del62
Sashie VII
sk8boardbob2

And I don't think we have to worry about going to 5 turn sets. After all, even if we do get into a large war, we only have 5 cities and 100 or so tiles to protect.

Thanks! I'll try not to disappoint :)

My 2c:

Between Americans and Russians, I'm leaning towards the Russians, because being Scientific would be more useful than Industrious in a 5CC. We only have so many tiles to improve, whereas the free tech upon entering a new era and cheap scientific buildings (for culture and some research) would be more helpful. Plus the Cossacks would be nicer to have than F-15s :cool: Unfortunately, the expansionist trait would not help us much. But I'm not totally against playing the Americans, either.

Regarding city placement, I suggest we have our scout map out our immediate surroundings completely before we build our 2nd city. That way we can see the best potential sites and plan strategically to get the best possible tile combination for each city.

What does the rest of the team think?

EDIT: I forgot to link this wonderful article about 5CC.

I agree with both suggestions. Since almost everyone is leaning towards the Russians we can go with them. We have to decide how many/which wonders we will pursue. Being 5CC, we can afford to build more wonders than a normal Monarch game since we won't be focused on expanding. Building the Colossus or not will impact the map selection. We'll probably be building a temple + Cathedral in each city to increase cultural borders and avoid having to use the luxury slider too much. I'm liking D if we want the Colossus, A if it's a maybe, and C if we know we don't want to build it.

To start the discussion off..

IMO the Colossus would be good to have, with our limited income potential. I prefer B or A. We can go coastal immediately, and may have iron close by if we're lucky :D They also have good shield potential, and tobacco(s). B slightly edges A for me, if only because there seem to be more hills and forests around.

But the coastal tile to the south in B may turn out to be an inland lake. We know for sure that the one in A is indeed coastal, from the river meeting it.

While C and E (with a lux) are nice starting locations, there's a risk that we're too far inland to build a productive coastal town in time to snag the Colossus. D has low shield potential with floodplains and plains, and from the looks of it the lands around it may not be very attractive either.

Can the Colossus be built on a city on an inland lake? For A I think moving S1 and settling would the best option and for B moving NW1 and settling would be best. We can wait for del and Overseer to chime in and get a a start on it.

I like building the Colossus for a 5CC, and I think the Exp trait has its uses in this game. As far as saves, I think as long as A isn't an inland sea, it is the best because of 2 rivers which really will boost commerce. B has more shield potential, but we waste either a bonus grass or a commerce bonus when we settle. If I go first, though thats not decided, I will determine whic save is on the ocean.

I vote A, then B. If anyone else gets on board, all the better, but I think a 5CC doesn't need a huge team. We can get started as soon as we all vote on a start. I will play the winner the first 20 turns, by then we should know if it is coastal. If it's a lake, then I will play the runner-up out to 20 turns.

Here are both, I agree that A is a better option that B and am posting both saves now. If both are inland seas though...

Attachments

• SG RA.SAV
    46.3 KB · Views: 134
  • SG RB.SAV
    46 KB · Views: 136
More-or-less, you want as many wonders which can become tourist attractions as you can get pre-1000 years before the finish date, once you have 5 cities and workers for those 5 cities. Definitely Cope's and Newton's, as well as Theory of Evolution, SETI, and the U. N. also. But, unlike a more regular science game, the Internet probably doens't merit building it... just buy 5 research labs. Cope's and Newton's pose a potential problem for Russia, since those two combined will trigger their GA, and I'd think a modern age GA comes as preferable in a game like this.

I'd think sticking to a peaceful strategy makes more sense than not, since you can usually trade for rubber, aluminum, and uranium. I know TheOverseer714 played a 5CC SG space race where they bashed a lot, and it seemed to take them A LONG time to finish. I did a demi-god 5CC with Persia around a year and a half ago. I can play if you like, but I don't want to take any opportunity from less experienced players.

Even if going for the Colossus, I'd pick C, as the scout might find a coast quickly enough. Just throw out a settler right away, build some roads to the new town and get some workers there. And even if you don't get the Colossus, I think a high production/quick growth spot like C beats another start which doesn't have the Colossus. Though, that's not quite so easy to determine.

Top Bottom