(6-VT) Add a notification about free (unused) Trade Route slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

adan_eslavo

Archmage of all Pixels
Supporter
Proposal: Every time we gain new or free up current Trade Route slot, "Next Turn" button will change its state into "Unused TR Slot". This should happen only in the first turn when the change/situation occured. It would require the player to click it to confirm that he is aware of the situation, so then the turn could normally proceed. The turn wouldn't be blocked after that.

Inspired by the (6-8) proposal of this Congress I would like to improve another area that makes problems for players like me, so newbies (or people who do not play too often). Many times when I have free slot for a Trade Unit, I notice that with a few turn delay (similarly to the situation when new spy was granted). Such a situation can be met when:
  • player constructs a building giving him additional slot;
  • player reasearches a technology granting him additional slot;
  • current trade route is plundered;
Very often during wars, when gold is the most important yield and trade routes are plundered more often, we can forget or miss the info about it. In such case we should react as fast as possible to make another source of gold, but instead we are going into more and more debts leaving sometimes more than one slot free for couple of turns.

Complex Proposal: DLL + UI + Database Changes

Last edited by a moderator:
In most situations that this occurs you already have a notification about the event that gives you a trade route slot. (I think?) Researching a technology is very visible, constructing a (national) wonder or selecting a policy is a very conscious choice personally and you already get a notification that your trade route has been pillaged.

I'd say that this unnecessarily pushes you to prioritize building new trade routes over anything else then. It's also different from having an idle spy which would just be a wasted resource in almost all cases. It's more comparable to me to like giving a notification that you have unlocked your UU when you research the technology and you should probably build it. Anything that competes resource wise should stay up to the player and not be guided in some direction in my opinion.

Last edited:
So are you looking for a Popup message here? What would this “warning” look like

Either prioritize notifications (make them appear on top, or make them bigger) about them if they already exist (these on the right side) or this could be like for "Empty building queue in the city" button, but only requiring to confirm and not blocking the turn.

Either prioritize notifications (make them appear on top, or make them bigger) about them if they already exist (these on the right side) or this could be like for "Empty building queue in the city" button, but only requiring to confirm and not blocking the turn.
We need to be specific for proposals, so what are you looking for?

We need to be specific for proposals, so what are you looking for?
I added a clarification in the op. Amendment if you prefer.
I think 2nd option would be the better choice, so I picked that one as a main idea.

I wonder if making the trade route count bright green instead is sufficiently noticeable.

"Next Turn" button will change its state into "Unused TR Slot". This should happen only in the first turn when the change/situation occured. It would require the player to click it to confirm that he is aware of the situation, so then the turn could normally proceed.
This feels janky and weird. I don't like it.

Yeah, I dislike it to the point where I'm gonna veto this. As proposed, it will confuse new players. Every other notification of this type requires you to do something before it stops blocking End Turn. If you're just looking for a straight notification, as Solic pointed out, all of those events have notifications already.

I wonder if making the trade route count bright green instead is sufficiently noticeable.
If you want to add this, go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom