64-bit confirmed

I'm surprised Windows hasn't moved to binary "packages" like on the Mac. Mac programs have every possible executable available in one file (PPC, Intel, 32bit, 64bit).

That's what happens when you design it wrong back in the 1980s and decides to stick with it since then. The kernel may have changed, but the principles of DLL-files and whatnot hasn't. It's backwards compatibility, and it's baaaad.

I personally don't get why Windows splits these directories up, there is no reason for it, but I assume it is convenience or something stupid like that. That being said, a 64bit application could easily be run from the "Programs Files (x86)" directory, you'll just have to tell Windows it is 64bit, which Steam will do for you.

So tell me how does this happen? How i can run Crysis in 64bit mode from "Program Files (x86)" folder?

And what does steam had to do with 32bit or 64bit?

Im asking these questions because i dont know these things, i only know that Crysis refuses to start 64bit mode from "Program Files (x86)" folder.

thank you! Now just git rid of the needing steam (or any kind of DRM) and I will buy. Untill then I will not buy.

thank you! Now just git rid of the needing steam (or any kind of DRM) and I will buy. Untill then I will not buy.

So you will never buy.

So tell me how does this happen? How i can run Crysis in 64bit mode from "Program Files (x86)" folder?

And what does steam had to do with 32bit or 64bit?

Im asking these questions because i dont know these things, i only know that Crysis refuses to start 64bit mode from "Program Files (x86)" folder.

I honestly am not sure. Have you tried right clicking the file and checking its properties. I am not an expert on Windows, only its flaws, not actual usage!

I honestly am not sure. Have you tried right clicking the file and checking its properties. I am not an expert on Windows, only its flaws, not actual usage!

There seems to be no possible way to start Crysis in 64bit mode if it has been installed in "Program Files (x86)" directory, i can only start the 32bit version of the game because "Program Files (x86)" folder is meant for 32bit programs.

Im only saying that IF Civilization V comes with 32bit and 64bit exe, im NOT GOING TO install it in the default directory wich pretty sure is going to be "Program Files (x86)", because i want to be able to run the 64bit version of the game.

As much I can tell, you won't have a choice where to install it. It will be wherever your steamapps folder is. That is just one of the small issues I have with Steam. I would be delighted if I was proved wrong (currently the only work around is using hard drive hardlinks, to my knowledge).

ANd steam will run it how its supposed to run

So steam says where it installs the game and we cannot change that, steam also runs it "how its supposed to run"

If steam installs the steammap (or whatever) in Program Files (x86) folder, (where by default everything goes in 64bit windows if you ask from me,) then there is no point for Firaxis to make 64bit version of the game cause it wouldnt be able to start from that directory. If it installs the steammap in somewhere else then couldnt there be some compability issues with 32bit program forced to operate in 64bit mode?

I'm not too familiar with the problems of Vista/Windows7/XP64, but why is the location of the installation so critical? Is the program files folder no longer treated like just a regular folder? I thought the main difference was in the permissions associated with it.

The main difference is you can use more RAM (random access memory) if you have the 64 bit version. I think 32 bit limits you to 3 gigs, while 64 bit lets you take so much that you wont have to worry about the limit until years into the future.

I'm running Win7-64bit and have 8GB of RAM so I'm happy to hear this.

BTW, I've been searching for hardware requirements and can't find them.

I have an old Lenovo Thinkpad T61p that is most likely up to the job of running Civ5 but I'm curious how close to the bottom end of the requirements I'm getting.

If any game could make me buy a desktop machine for gaming it is Civ!

BTW, I've been searching for hardware requirements and can't find them.

I have an old Lenovo Thinkpad T61p that is most likely up to the job of running Civ5 but I'm curious how close to the bottom end of the requirements I'm getting.
The requirements haven't been published anywhere yet.

Hopefully the minimal/recommended requirements will include regular laptops, because Civ definitely is a game that's played on laptops a lot.

So steam says where it installs the game and we cannot change that, steam also runs it "how its supposed to run"

If steam installs the steammap (or whatever) in Program Files (x86) folder, (where by default everything goes in 64bit windows if you ask from me,) then there is no point for Firaxis to make 64bit version of the game cause it wouldnt be able to start from that directory. If it installs the steammap in somewhere else then couldnt there be some compability issues with 32bit program forced to operate in 64bit mode?

Steam is usually installed into the Program Files (x86) folder. From there it creates a sub folder called Steamapps.

However I have not come across nor heard of any problems in running steam games in 64bit mode due to folder limitation.

I'm surprised Windows hasn't moved to binary "packages" like on the Mac. Mac programs have every possible executable available in one file (PPC, Intel, 32bit, 64bit).

That's called a fat binary and they have steadily fallen out of use

You wont need two disks, most of the size of a game is made up of the art assets, the actual executables usually come in at the tens of megabytes at most. I'm sure the installer will just detect whether you're running a 32 or 64 bit operating system and install the right version.

Top Bottom