6otM 122 AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 122 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory type, date, and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game
Please attached your victory save to your post.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you bother with culture?
- Did you go for religion?
- How did you pump your science?
- Were City-States helpful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?
- How did you deal with the zombies?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Dom Victory, turn 229

Fantastic game- unquestionably the most interesting Prince level game I've played. The way it developed presented entirely novel challenges that required novel tactics to overcome.

I already posted about the first 100 turns so won't repeat here. I ended up founding 9 core cities; built only two Wonders (Temple of Artemis and Jebel Barkal); never finished my religion. My plan was to get to Conquistadors and Caravels to start to take over the world. By that time there was hardly any world left to take over- Scythia was the only remaining viable civilization, with 3 zombie-free cities. All other capitals were besieged and nearly obliterated by zombies.

The first army consisted of 3 Conquistadors, accompanied by 1 missionary and al-Zahrawi (the Great Scientist that gives healing). I also completely faith-bought Aethelfled. Zombie mutation strength was at +37, so they were at baseline essentially par with the Conquistadors (CS = 58). But add to that +4 for Oligarchy Legacy, +5 for Aethelfled, +5 for Discipline, and +10 for the missionary, and my units were functioning at combat strength = 82. Even higher once they got the Battlecry promotion. 3 Conquistadors was all it took to take Thanh Long, although it was surrounded by zombies 3 tiles deep. The same army then took a long slow march/sail west, towards Paris, accompanied by a Settler (so I could found a city on Zealandia and faith-buy units there. That city, Salamanca, was pivotal).

Meanwhile, 2 capitals, both coastal, were easy to conquer with a single Caravel- Pasargadae and Addis Ababa. Pokrovka was also coastal but had walls; a Caravel and 2 Frigates quickly dispatched it (and its sister city Chertomlyk)

The same army that had conquered Thanh Long eventually landed near Paris and attacked, abetted by a 4th Conquistador faith-bought at the newly-founded city of Salamanca. Mutation strength was higher now but this group still managed to get the job done in pretty quick order, despite again a carpet of zombies. Salamanca also faith-bought 2 Cuirassiers that were dispatched towards Canberra along with the 2 Frigates that had bombarded Pokrovka. Canberra was also besieged but on its north face had only one land tile, so only one layer of zombies. The frigates were able to clear these tiles and a Cuirassier attacking from the sea immediately took control of the city.

All forces were then redirected to Bogota, the last remaining capital. This was a tough nut to crack- 5 tiles in from the coast, with mutation strength +50 zombies carpeting all the intervening territory. Here is where the novel tactics came in- I started my D-day invasion by a naval bombardent with frigates to clear the coastal tiles and immediately established beachheads with ... builders. I was in a Golden Monumentality and was faith-buying builders in Salamanca nearly every turn and sending them to Bogota. Since zombies (as opposed to conventional barbarians) will ignore builders, these "troops" were left undisturbed on the beach until the frigates could clear a territory 2 tiles in, which they then occupied. Shielded by a phalanx of builders, I landed field cannons, which then cleared more territory 3 tiles deep, which was again occupied by my mobile team of builders. This allowed me to land Conquistadors and Cuirassiers. I give you below the D-day invasion of Bogota, spearheaded by Spain's own builder version of the Seabees....

Spoiler :

D-day Bogota with Builders.png

Finally the true combat units were able to get right next to the city center and attack it, ending the game. But it took 10 builders to make it possible, otherwise I would have had to fight through some 20 units of CS = 70 zombies, with more spawning all the time. It would have been impossible with the units I had.

Thus ended history.

It's worth commenting that all captured capitals (except Pokrovka) really themselves became zombie cities, in the sense that they had a permanent population of 1, were attacked by multiple zombie units every turn reducing their garrison strength to zero every turn, but were never allowed to die. They truly are themselves undead cities.

So that's it. Once again, fantastic game, but just like after Macedon, let's not do it again any time soon....

Attachments

• GOTM 122 PHILIP II 229 DomVic.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I had intentionally avoided the zombie game mode, but as it was for Dia de los Muerto I figured I would give it a go. It took maybe 30 tries to get a feasible starting position. All in all a very frustrating game mode for the lower level game.

Dom Victory, turn 229

Fantastic game- unquestionably the most interesting Prince level game I've played. The way it developed presented entirely novel challenges that required novel tactics to overcome.

So that's it. Once again, fantastic game, but just like after Macedon, let's not do it again any time soon....

I had intentionally avoided the zombie game mode, but as it was for Dia de los Muerto I figured I would give it a go. It took maybe 30 tries to get a feasible starting position. All in all a very frustrating game mode for the lower level game.

30 test runs? Wow, that's a lot of work, but kudos for arriving at a challenging result. It was interesting- it didn't feel as threatening as the Macedon game but was definitely well above the usual Prince level game.

There was a discussion in another thread about the utility of a faith vs a gold economy; I used the faith economy extensively and doubt I would have been able to duplicate it with gold only. But I may try again without faith/religion as an exercise....

DV 166
ZOMBIES !!! not my favs only my second game with them.
They don't go after workers unless they share an X with a unit or a trader . Lost a few of them
Started with 3 cities and stole a settler from Persia .Built 2 early campii to get science going the encampment and 2 holy site to get a religion.
Picked Armani first to get Suz of Lahore and levee it's army to go after Vietnam first. Persia was second and already at zero defense. Scytia was a bit harder with walls and traps had to levee Lahore a second time.
Killed the 3 of them,
Next was Ethiopia ,took the cap with 4 caravelle another city with one tryrene and a scout. Left him alive with one city
In the same time I had a navy(2 frigates) and one conquistador taking Australia cap under siege from Zombies at Zero defense
France cap was next and was under siege by 15 Zombies. Had to slow Lure them toward my frigates.At that point leaving Lahore was 2000 gold.too much for me
Bolivia cap was last and also at zero defense
I mainly use my small religion to buy workers and units. I had picked crusaders but never got to use it.
I built up renaissance. walls in most of my cities and repaired them as soon as possible
It was fun to play as I knew from the start to be on alert by a massive surge of zombies from all directions
Thanks for the game

Attachments

• PHILIP II 166 1050 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • 166. dv.png
    166. dv.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 114
DomV T178, score 918.

I had a RL power blackout at T103, which does not happen very often here, reloaded an autosave an replayed all the moves exactly as earlier.

I mostly reacted to the map and general situation, if anyone interested, I'm including my turn log. Not as detailed as in the Opening Actions report, but still.

Not very much, I relied on Paititi to supply me most of it.

Yes, Spain without Catholicism is not Spain :) I had fully developed religion (Desert Folklore, Work Ethics, Defender of the Faith, World Church and Mosques), used faith to buy a couple of settlers, quite a few builders and traders that kept being eaten by zombies, and a few land units.

Campuses.

Yes, very surprisingly quite a few of them survived, against all my expectations. I see 8 at the end, in 6 I'm the Suz.

On my landmass zombie situation was much less serious than I thought it'd be, well, except that they ate my second city early on, but apart from that, nothing too excessive.

I got 3 cities from Vietnam, 3 from Persia and 5 from Scythia! This one was the hardest - that double horse spam with interfering zombies annoyed me to no end. Then, after taking control of the starting landmass, I sailed main force away in different directions and the situation on other landmasses already were much more like I was expecting - capitals reduced and carpeted by zombies.
Except Gran Colombia. Simon had quite an empire of at least 6 cities, and very clean of zombies, he was managing his lands well. Thankfully, his capital was not somewhere in the middle. I directed the largest force there.
Ethiopia was coastal, fell to caravels, Canberra was 1 tile away from coast, naval bombardment and knights did the job, trickiest was Paris - in the middle of thoroughly zombie infested continent. Luckily, I sneaked in there a Heathen converting apostle, over the lake, with the last charge, like the last match in movies :) With heroic age dedication he managed to come close to Paris and convert a bunch of zombies who then marched in on my behalf.
Last 4 capitals fell within 2 turns. Zombies were at +37 MS at the end.

Yes, the end was pretty tense :)
Thanks for the game!

My turn log, continued from Opening Actions, t101-178:
Spoiler :

T101-103 - Hue taken, Apprenticeship boosted, zombie spawns at Madrid allows the spearman to get MilTactics boost, Temples done, Divine Right boosted. Colonization replaced Monasticism, will get two settlers from A Coruna, for two coastal cities and third desert HS. Vietnam down to the last city, sell Cocoa to Cyrus for 259 g. No gpt, war with him next, soon-ish.
Mid Turn 103 RL blackout happens. When power is restored, I reload t103 autosave and repeat all the moves.
T104 - Horses move to the last Vietnamese city. Unfortunately, there's also a barb warrior and a zombie nearby. Vietnamese scout that killed my trader came to Thang Long just as it completed walls. I'll not attack the scout, hopefully it will vanish as Vietnam falls. Madrid built a new trader, repairs walls. Trader to A Coruna. Missionary bought to convert exVietnam.
T105 - One settler done, to the North. Next to Vietnam city, some horseman from the fog attacks the zombie, who's there? Barb archer appears. Not a triggered camp, please. Two hits at Quang Tri, 116/200 and under siege.
I send an envoy to Singapore and get the Suzerainty. Chocolate Hills are there, also the landmass ends there with a peninsula. Singapore is well armed (4w3a) and zombie free, no walls though. I don't recognize this Prince difficulty.
Trader from A Coruna to Geneva for 26 turns, take 2.
T106. Apprenticeship done, to Education. Madrid will make a few chariots for future knights.
Ba Trieu gets a horseman in the city and complicates things. I hit the city and barbs, city 80/200.
T107. The mysterious horseman who kills the zombie belongs to Tomyris. Scythia has a city south of Vietnam, no walls but healty. Her army score is 191. Ok, so I'll have to make another army to conquer Persia, this one will take on Scythia.
Horses hit Quang Tri and Vietnam is no more. There's a barb outpost to the West.
T108. Mil Training done, Defensive Tactics now, aiming for Feudalism and Mercenaries. Colonization out as second settler is done, Maneuver in, more horses and chariots.
T109. Tomyris denounces me. I spam horsemen and heavy chariots, going to Persia. Toledo founded close to that former NW barb outpost spot, on a honey. Sailing boost, and quest from BA completed.
T110. Sailing done.
T111. Medieval era in 10 turns. Finally, took maximum time available. One more missionary goes to exVietnam.
A Coruna is size 7, so I place an Encampment for more GG points, order another horseman and move Magnus to ex Vietnam. Lots of chopping to do there, including for some CH. I'll need cash for unit upgrades.
A zombie near Toledo, +20 MS. Valencia founded S of Madrid, on the coast near 1 fish and 1 crab. Bought monument, building granary.
I take over Suzerainty of Geneva, so that my cavalry could use a shorter way to Persia. Geneva is hurt as has a zombie nearby. I probably must help them first. Cyrus has Men-at-Arms, hm. I also upgrade my warrior in Toledo to a Man-at-Arms for a full price - 250 gold and 20 iron, outch. With 40 cs strong zombies I'll need stronger cities and a bigger hammer.
T113. Geneva builds walls! Good, they'll survive now. My cavalry heading right to Persia's capital, I don't see it, hopefully, he'd have no walls. Susa is under attack of a zombie, it is also building an Aqueduc. It would be nice of them to complete it for me.
T114. Toledo expands on fish, I improve it and boost Celestial Navigation.
T116. Education and Defensive Tactics done. To Celestial Navigation for Harbours and to Feudalism, 1 farm still needed to 6 and boost, easy.
Outpost W of Quang Tri cleared, TV discovered, yields 1 pop.
Contact with Jerusalem close to Scythia, Scythia is the Suz.
Madrid is building a Uni. Maneuver out, Monasticism back in for last 5 turns. Pingala hired and goes to Madrid.
T117. Thang Long completes a Campus and Recorded History boosted. Builder now.
My horses and chariots are in position around Persia's capital, but with that Paititi its borders expanded so, that I can't see the city centre. I'll go all in blind next turn. Persia's Man-at Arms is duking it out with a zombie in the midst of my horses. Amazing.
T118. Celestial done. To Engineering and Machinery now, for x-bows, then I'll be rushing Cartography line.
I lose Suze in Geneva and last horseman must go around now. Oh well. I can't wait any longer. Surprise DOW on Cyrus. Tomyris is jealous. Is there walls in his capital? NO!!! And it's damaged, at 156/200! And it is stone paradise - 4 stones to chop! Only 3 tiles to access, a horse an chariot hit this turn, 118/200.
A farm built at Valencia and Feudalism boosted.
Venice recognizes Cyrus as their Suz? Should've killed them...
T119. Tomyris builds Etemenanki. Good. Pasagarde back to 138/200. After 3 horse hits - 58/200.
T120. Engineering done. Pasagarde 76/200. Persian horse sorties and kills one my horseman. After hits capital at 18/200.
Tomyris has denounced me earlier, so she gets the honour of Formal War declared on her this turn. Archer and 3 horses hit, Pazyryk down to 29/200.
Next turn is Heroic Medieval. Im at 71/33 era score.
T121. Tomyris is also in Heroic, Cyrus in Golden. Wow.
I pick Pen, Brush and Voice, Monumentality and Exodus. No CH or Harbours yet, my science is doing ok, but culture lags, I need advance through civics tree faster and get a better government.
I also earn Aryabhata. I'm about to have 3 Medieval techs yet unboosted, so it suits me. Enlightenment boosted.
Persian capital Pasargadae falls. Loyalty trend outstanding. They managed to push out quinqereme, and also there's a Persian horseman. I'll need walls as soon as monument repairs.
On Scythian fron Pazyryk conquered, loyalty trend mildly positive. Good. I take a peek at Pokrovka at it has walls. Bummer. The time of horsemen and heavy chariots is at an end.
Buying a settler in Quang Tri, where Magnus is. I think I'll have plenty of cities without great need to build any more, but another coastal city on the west coast will do.
A zombie in the homeland, +22 MS.
T122. Congress votes for cheaper troops for production and stronger ranged units.
T123. Astronomy boosted, GG Trung Trac earned. 2 apostles bought
T124. Geneva gets passive spread and I boost Reformed Church. Machinery done. To Shipbuilding. One Apostle promoted to HEathen conversion, another evangelises belief to World Church. Need more culture.
Unmet CS defeated.
T125. Mercenaries done. 1 turn to Recorded History, perfect to slot in Professional army and have some Crossbows. Metal Casting boosted.
Suzerainty in Geneva reestablished.
Persian Quinquereme killed.
T126. RecHist done, Civil Service. I'm a bit behind in culture. Madrid is pop 7, will build TD.
Pingala promoted to Researcher though, to Cartography. Limes replaces PA, to speed up a couple of walls.
t127. Shipbuilding done, to Buttress. I use Aryabhata to boost 3 Medieval techs remaining unboosted: ME, Butress and Castles.
Zombies at +23 MS.
T128. Killing Persia's troops and approaching last two cities. South is stalled. Scythia has a few horses and there are zombies down there. Making 2 catapults and pulling a M-at-A to the action. Trader faithbought in Valencia.
T129. Cyrus destroys my trader and requests peace. I don't think so. Rebought the trader. Starting to experience traffic jams.
T130. Buttress and Civil Service done. Cartography and Divine Right next. I slot Raid card. Pillaged mine brings in 270g instead of just 180g.
T131. Madrid builds a splendid TD and boosts Civil Engineering.
Tarsus down to 97/200 and sieged, approach to Susa delayed by zombies +24MS.
T132. A zombie is taking down Susa for me, 156/200, how nice. Cyrus is building walls there and has 2 cats. But I'm bringin' in x-bows and cats too.
Apostle finishes forming Catholicism, by taking Mosques. More charges suit my purposes convert my newly acquired provinces. Like Tarsus, for example, which is taken this turn. Cyrus has 1 turn more to live on this map.
T133. Divine Right done and I go into Monarchy, finally! Susa is mine and Cyrus bows out. Got 3 cities out of him, including fabulous Pasargadae with a Harbour and Paititi, and loads of stone, not bad.
A Coruna starts Grand Master's Chapel. Tomyris has my undivided attention now.
T134. Seville builds 2nd Harbour with previous help from Magnus, and boosts Cartograpy, 3 turns away now.
T135. Zombies, Jerusalem troops and Scythia horse spam continue to create delays in the South.
T137. Cartography done. Stirrups, Castles and ME now, need better horses. Zombies at +25 MS.
Gelonus built walls in the meanwhile, start bombarding with a cat. Pokrovka attacked by zombies.
T138. Guilds done, Banking boosted, to Reformed Church, Pingala awarded Connoisseur . I chop in a campus and library in Pasag, with Magnus. Prof. Army replaces Limes in anticipation of having some knights soon.
T139. Toledo builds third awesome HS. Welcome into being productive.
T140. Stirrups done. First knights appear. Gelonus is mine. She's founded yet another city. Groan. Zombies at +26 MS.
T141. Reformed Church done. I adopt Theocracy. Urban Planning is back in. To Mercantilism. If those other capitals are coastal, heh heh heh...
A Knight kills a zombie and gets Military Science eureka.
T142. Zombies +27 MS. A Coruna completes GMCh. I hire Victor.
Jerusalem an their units starts getting on my nerves. I have to kill them to get to Kul Oba, which built walls now. ProfArmy is back.
T143. Castles done. Somebody, give me money. Omar Khayyam comes to my service. Scythia has even more cities.
T144. GG Aethelflaed arrives.
T145. Military Engineering an Medieval Faires done. Pingala with Grants for more GS gpp
T147. MilTactics done and Printing boosted. Omar Khayyam boosts Exploration, Square Rigging and Siege Tactics. Going for SqRig.
I take Kul Oba, but at Pokrovka there are Scythian Horse spam.
T148. I get Hildegard and Colaeus, and boost Mercantilism
T150. GA Artemisia hired.
T151. DiploService Done, Gunpowder boosted.
T152. WC gives +100% to City Centre buildings and +5 CS to melee SqRigging done.
Zombies at +29 MS.
Artemisia makes 1st contact with Cahokia. How come anyone's well and alive out there?
Niter improved, Rifling boosted.
T153. Exploration done. Zombies at +30 MS.
Press Gangs is in. I want two million caravels.
I convert one single damaged zombie using an Apostle near Pokrovka. Can't take that crap anymore.
T154. Man-at-Arms, X-bow and GG reach some landmass to the East. M-at-A lands to see a warrior, an archer and 2 zombies. Oops. X-bow does not land, continues south to uncover a tribal village, one more archer and another zombie. On the West, Cahokia's landmass contains at least 5 zombies. How is Cahokia alive? Yes, it has walls, but how it survived to them?
On the home landmass zombies continue to eat my traders, I continue to rebuy them. I convert another zombie near Pokrovka. Then hit Pokrovka with 2 Trebs to annihilate its walls. Then with an X-bow. Then coursers put it out of its misery. Finally! Goodness me, 3rd capital - check. Took some doing. One Scythian city remaining, I'll be taking it out of pure revenge. Also, Etemenanki is mine :)
T155. Gunpowder done, I'm going Metal Casting. I have first Frigate. TV on the E landmass yields governor title - Victor gets Garrison Commander.
T157. Humanism done. Artemisia returned to Seville. Some unseen barb ships out there.
I spot AI borders on the E landmass to the North. All forces in the water redirected there.
I bombard Myriv. My courser moves onto a zombie trap and gets damaged for 15 hp. What? Nevertheless, Scythia falls this turn and Empress bows out. I'm in full control of the starting landmass. New cities will build walls, all troops will sail away. Scythia gave me 5 cities, grand total is 16.
My zombies going W spot a barb galley.
Peace with Jerusalem and I become their Suz.
T158. Marco Polo comes. Contact with Ethiopia in the East! Their capital has walls destroyed and garrison health at 21/200. Now that's more like it. I sell them all my luxury surplus for 160 g.
T159. Metal Casting done. Addis Ababa is coastal. Sweet. To Mass Production. Moving to Steam Power. I'd like some embarked movement.
T160. Suz in Cahokia. It's surrounded by mountains, leaving only 1 tile of access, that's how it survives, because environs are carpeted by all kinds of hostiles. Naval Tradition from TV.
My zombie scouts in the West discover a new continent - Zealandia, and a bunch of zombies. My Apostle prepares their holy books. New settler in Seville with Magnus to settle former Lahore spot, as there are 2 niter.
As Addis Ababa is coastal, I divert my land troops south via sea, looking for other target. One caravel will suffice for Ethiopia, when time comes.
T161. Mercantilism done. To Enlightenment. I'll chop in Great Lighthouse in Seville.
My Heathen converting Apostle in Bourget Lake contacts Freleanor. Paris isn't feeling so well - 1/200, and a carpet of zombies, +32MS. My converting Apostle will enjoy swimming in the lake until hour H. That's 2 capitals held in the crosshairs already. I need to find the last two.
T162. Mass Production done. I get GG El Cid.
T163. Great Lighthouse done.
T164. Barcelona founded for 2 Niter.
T165. Enlightenment done, Scientific Theory boosted. GA Leif Erikson and GS Isaac Newton recruited.
I retire Leif for more sight and immediately contact Australia. He's 1 tile off coast, but walls destroyed and I have lots of troops bearing down on him. There's 1 barb galley in the way. Kumasi contact. 3 remaining capitals non problematic, where's the last? Need to find it within 16 turns, until the end of my Heroic Medieval, so that I can take Paris with converted zombies.
T166. My zombies discover Piopiotahi.
T167. Zombie outbreak in exScythia. 3 zombies. +34 MS. Caravel spots Galapagos W of Kumasi. The other landmass is very much overrun by zombies. Yerevan would be so helpful.
T168. Industrialization and Civil Engineering done. I'll approach Ballistics for field cannons and Steam Engine for embarked speed. Civic-wise to Nationalism. Geoffrey Chaucer arrives into Phillip II's court wishing to pen The Zombie Tales or smth. Embrasure to Victor.
AHA! Contact with Gran Colombia! W of Cahokia. But I only find Caracas, pop 3 city, no walls, 35 cs, and shockingly - no zombies in the environs.
T169. Contact with Hattusa. Unbelievable, how many CSs are surviving. I spot Colombian borders W of it, and rush there. My Zombie checks out a TV and delivers a Scorched Earth boost.
Paris starts looking very problematic. If my Apostle strategy does not work...
T170. Ok, I have a fair idea, where is the Colombian capital. These lands are surprisingly zombie free. I have a huge force homing in there now.
T171. Privateer building boosts Electricity. Irene of Athens comes.
I buy Open Borders from Bolivar to confirm Bogota's location. Walls intact, 45 cs, and a very inconvenient Encampment. This may be problematic.
T174. My, my, Bolivar's got quite an empire for himself - 6 cities at least.
T175. GG Timur.
T176. Nationalism. Forming Corps around Bogota. 5 turns to era end. Must hurry. DoWing everyone next turn prob.
I slot in National Identity and Discipline. I'll take every available edge over all enemies.
T177. Surprise DoW on Simon. Roll in Bombard corps with El Cid, shoot, X-bow corps and single one shoot again, slam in 2 knights corps and 2 coursers corps, and Bogota is mine.
Will I manage Paris and Canberra now? DoW on both. I can do Canberra! I take it. But I can't do Paris. I forgot that converts can't move the same turn. And now they'll be obliterated. Oh, bugger.
T178. Barely alive zombie next to Paris survives, shielded by adjacent martyrs, and takes Paris! Hurrah! DoW on Menelik and let's end it. Caravel fleet sails in. Done! :) Zombies at +37 MS.

And pics of the final situation:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• PHILIP II 178 1170 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Shielded by a phalanx of builders, I landed field cannons, which then cleared more territory 3 tiles deep, which was again occupied by my mobile team of builders. This allowed me to land Conquistadors and Cuirassiers. I give you below the D-day invasion of Bogota, spearheaded by Spain's own builder version of the Seabees....

Finally the true combat units were able to get right next to the city center and attack it, ending the game. But it took 10 builders to make it possible, otherwise I would have had to fight through some 20 units of CS = 70 zombies, with more spawning all the time. It would have been impossible with the units I had.
This feels so... wrong... but also so cool nevertheless!:lol: I completely overlooked such a strat, awesome :thumbsup: Beats going for the nukes.

DV163
Excellent fun game
Went for a cavalry rush first and then to science, Mining and currency. Then of course got some walls and the xbiows and then uni's
Sort of, no cultural CS (apartfrom Kumasi later) does not help and since there is no bonuses you do not feel excited about it. I certainly did not put it first but I put it before faith
I did use god of the open sky for the early culture boost and Cyrus’s capital city was just great for culture. The best natural wonder.
I only got a religion on T147, a record lateness for me, did not really care fot it, just thought as Spain I guess I should... I thought it would slow this game up too much
+4 adjacencies in some nice places, I did getKilwa an double suze about T115
Cahokia for the great sea bonus on top of the Spanish bonus is just great, Nothing else really mattered aapart from the Kilwa double science. As soon as I saw a CS in trouble I took it over, chopped in some walls and all was fine. Could not be bothered saving some,
I have never really liked zombies so this was in fact my second game (like @tarafran ) having only played them once (I think it was a GOTM game). I never realised they were so bad on prince but it makes sense.
Yes and no, it took me a little time to adjust to Zombies again but I remembered the rules and then it was just an annoying feature apart from taking the capitals was fun. I guess we all have our own way, builder phalaxes sounds like a lot of work. Not a game I would have wanted to sweat each turn out of (zombies keep upsetting plans so you cannot play too seriously), certainly could have been done faster. Even as it was I had a line infantry and a tower reach Aus about 8 turns before the rest of my army and I realised about 5 turns later they could do it by themselves, so bosh!
- Best Wonder - The great lighthouse

My take on taking cities
Spoiler :

Just took out a weak zombie with cavalry , most of the zombies around the city centre are weak, then you need to get out...I was thinking of using fighters if need be but there was not enough of a carpet.
upload_2021-11-8_23-45-12.png

So get a way out to help with Bolivia... I knew about builders but the shooter phalanx had not occurred (although it sounds slow)
upload_2021-11-8_23-47-17.png

EIther let them damage themselves against walls until you can one-shot them or damage them with a unit and finish them off with ranged. Walls early, more ranged, then just lots of wrist action each turn.
Not in for any trophies but here is the game, no crashes this time.

Attachments

• PHILIP II 163 1020 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Zombie Domination Victory T184, Score 1019, Time 26 h

Chronicles say Paris still smells to rotted flesh.

After bad zombie mode experiences in the past, this one was considerably more pleasant. My guess is the map geography with the mountain ranges and four civs in the initial continent helped to keep the zombie level low.

My line of thought was to cover as much of the continent as possible to minimize the number of barbarians and hence prevent zombie creation. I focused in building monuments to extent borders and settlers to claim more land.

Cities
Settled: 13 (Two settlers taken)
Conquered: 13
Loyalty flipped: 1
Traded on peace deal: 1
Total: 28

War

War began in T80 against Ba Trieu with warriors and archers as they attacked Lahore which I was planning to use to Levy against her. Cyrus and Tomyris joined the war, but Cyrus also declared on Lahore. My troops were not enough to face Ba Trieu and protect Lahore from 2 civs and zombies and it ended falling. Horsemen started to arrive and with them, and a battering ram I conquered from Ba Trieu three cities, she ceded one in peace and the last city fell to loyalty.

Built three galleys early on and started discovering the world. Decided to keep Cyrus as an ally as he consistently had gold. I had decided to leave Tomyris alive to keep peace in the continent for less zombies, but he attacked Buenos Aires and I had to intervene. War at T130, and Pokrovka fell at T158 (my troops were far from his main land).

By when I made peace with Tomyris (T161, one city left), I had a considerable army of Conquistadores, Coursers, Great Generals and a couple missionaries. They were sent west after Eleanor (Paris surrounded by zombies fell in T172), an upgraded Caravel was sent to single take Addis Ababa (T171) while Statue of Zeus troops (T158) were sent to look for the last missing civilization and together with an upgraded Frigate took Canberra in T175.

20211108030647_1.jpg 20211108223218_1.jpg

The rest was easy. Simon Bolivar was holding good, with 5 working cities. I sent the West and Zeus armies towards him and Bogotá fell in T182 while I moved the defensive main continent units to attack Cyrus. Pasargadae fell in T185 to a Frigate and a Caravel I chopped from the two cities I recently settled in the north-west coast (two free builders on settling with Pyramids are great, and with Serfdom totals 12 charges per city).

20211109004554_1.jpg 20211109004509_1.jpg

Religion
Yes, to boost Conquistadores. Only me and Menelik had religions. Took God of War and made a lot of faith defending from zombies. Bought five missionaries, two to extend the faith. No apostles.

Zombies
Avoided to kill them if not needed. The main tactic was to leave builders with a charge left to protect undefended cities and later on to avoid them killing City State units. I think this worked pretty well to keep a low mutation strength (+34 by the end) and avoid City State deaths. The one charge builders were extra useful when later I built Pyramids and they got an extra charge retroactively. I trained 49 builders according to HoF.

20211107152237_1.jpg 20211107180515_1.jpg 20211107215131_1.jpg

City States
Venice, Buenos Aires and Singapore were friends for most of the game. Singapore and Lahore units were mobilized against Ba Trieu. I found the other continents' City States too late and never managed to use them.

Science & Culture
Good placements for campuses and Natural Philosophy. Culture was done with monuments.

Gold & Faith
Markets and Trade routes made a part of it, Cyrus helped a lot here, thanks to the Natural Wonder next to Pasargadae. I spent the gold with some initial levied armies, later bought settlers and key buildings required for eurekas. A lot of unit upgrading with Professional Army policy in mid to late game. Faith was used for Settlers mainly, but buyed a few Builders, Missionaries and Traders too.

Civ bonuses
Conquistadores with missionaries were the most powerful feature. Missions and extra builders for production and zombie blocking were nice. Trade route boons were not that relevant as I avoided inland routes because zombies, and did not have many sea routes available.

Thanks a lot for finding a map that made zombies not that frustrating!

Played using the Strategic View. Liked the experience. I probably repeat in the future.

20211109004636_1.jpg 20211109004714_1.jpg

Spoiler Full log :

1 - :c5greatperson:Ancient Era; Avalonia:trade: Madrid:c5capital:
4 - Artica:trade:
8 - Warrior:c5production:
12 - Animal Husbandry:c5science:
13 - Warrior:c5production:
14 - Code of Laws:c5culture:
17 - Monument:c5production:
18 - Village (scout)
20 - Mining:c5science:
22 - Foreign Trade:c5culture: Venice:c5influence:
25 - Valencia:c5capital:
27 - Village (+20 faith) Buenos Aires:c5influence:
28 - Builder:c5production:
29 - Sailing:c5science:
32 - Village (+75 gold) Slinger:c5production:
33 - Barbarian encampment:c5war:
36 - Pottery:c5science:
41 - Monument:c5production:
42 - Lahore:c5influence:
43 - Singapore:c5influence:
44 - Ba Trieu:c5influence:
46 - Early Empire:c5culture: Barcelona:c5capital: Trader:c5production: Amani:c5citizen:
47 - Bronze Working:c5science: Builder:c5gold:
49 - Pantheon (God of War):religion: Galley:c5production:
51 - Singapore♟ Chocolate Hills:c5food: Geneva:c5influence: Singapore:c5gold:
52 - Cyrus:c5influence: Païtiti:c5food:
53 - Writing:c5science: Craftsmanship:c5culture: Monument:c5production: Village (+1 governor) Magnus:c5citizen:
55 - Galley:c5production: Barbarian encampment:c5war:
57 - Astrology:c5science:
61 - :c5greatperson:Classical Era (Free Inquiry) Archery:c5science: Military Tradition:c5culture:
63 - Tomyris:c5influence: Jerusalem:c5influence:
67 - Drama and Poetry:c5culture: State Workforce:c5culture: Provision (Magnus):c5citizen:
68 - Holy site:c5production:
69 - Horseback Riding:c5science: Barbarian encampment:c5war: Barbarian encampment:c5war:
71 - Archer:c5production: Builder:c5gold:
73 - Valladolid:c5capital:
74 - Political Philosophy:c5culture: Oligarchy:c5citystate: Settler:c5production: Slinger:c5unhappy:
76 - Encampment:c5production: Barracks:c5gold:
80 - Shipbuilding:c5science: War to Ba Trieu:c5war: Library:c5production:
81 - Masonry:c5science: Archer:c5production: Builder:c5production:
82 - Cartagena:c5capital:
84 - Wheel:c5science:
85 - Archer:c5production:
86 - Spearman:c5production: Barbarian encampment:c5war:
87 - Lahore♟ Lahore:c5gold: Monument:c5production: Village (+20 faith) Water mill:c5gold:
89 - Iron Working:c5science: Warrior:c5production:
90 - Mysticism:c5culture: Pyramids:tourism:
91 - Lahore:c5unhappy:
93 - Government plaza:c5production: Warrior:c5unhappy:
94 - Horseman:c5production:
96 - Construction:c5science: Buenos Aires♟
97 - Games and Recreation:c5culture: Hypatia:greatwork::c5citizen::c5gold:
98 - Irrigation:c5science:
99 - Trung Trac:greatwork::c5citizen: Horseman:c5production:
100 - Ancestral hall:c5production: Researcher (Pingala):c5citizen:
101 - Currency:c5science: Recorded History:c5culture: Grants (Pingala):c5citizen: Campus:c5production: Library:greatwork::c5citizen: Archer:c5unhappy:
103 - Battering ram:c5production:
105 - Mathematics:c5science: Archer:c5unhappy: Granary:c5production:
106 - Defensive Tactics:c5culture: Connoisseur (Pingala):c5citizen: Swordsman:c5production: Campus:c5production:
107 - Novopangea:trade:
108 - Venice♟ Venice:c5gold: Zhang Heng:greatwork::c5citizen: Swordsman:c5production: Cahokia:c5influence:
109 - Spearman:c5unhappy: Archer:c5production:
110 - Dong Hoi:c5war: Settler:c5war:
111 - Library:c5production: Monument:c5gold: Granary:c5gold: Water mill:c5gold:
112 - Apprenticeship:c5science: Archer:c5production: Shrine:c5production:
115 - Boudica:greatwork::c5citizen: Spearman:c5production: Scout:c5unhappy:
116 - Ancient walls:c5production: Water mill:c5production: Campus:c5production:
117 - Salamanca:c5capital:
118 - Mogadishu:c5influence: Eleanor:c5influence: Hattusa:c5influence:
119 - Education:c5science: Horseman:c5production:
120 - Feudalism:c5culture: Monument:c5production: Thang Long:c5war:
121 - :c5greatperson:Medieval Era (Golden Age - Monumentality) Zoroaster:greatwork::c5citizen: Religion (Work ethic, Holy order):religion: Theology:c5culture: Cahokia♟ Cahokia:c5gold: Simon:c5influence: Menelik:c5influence:
122 - Military Tactics:c5science:
124 - Armagh:c5influence: Water mill:c5production:
126 - Stirrups:c5science: Military Training:c5culture: Man-at-arms:c5production: Hildegard of Bingen:greatwork::c5citizen: Sun Tzu:greatwork::c5citizen: Hoa Lu:c5war: Maikop:c5influence: Peace with Ba Trieu
127 - Builder:c5production: Builder:c5production: Commercial hub:c5production: Settler:religion:
128 - Settler:c5gold: Chinguetti:c5influence:
129 - Builder:c5production: Missionary:religion:
130 - War to Tomyris:c5war:
131 - Mercenaries:c5culture: Man-at-arms:c5moves: Man-at-arms:c5moves: Man-at-arms:c5moves: Man-at-arms:c5moves: Pikeman:c5moves: Industrial zone:c5production: University:c5production: Celestial Navigation:c5science: Engineering:c5science: Barbarian encampment:c5war:
132 - Holy site:c5production:
134 - Civil Service:c5culture: Zaragoza:c5capital: University:c5production: Astronomy:c5science: Missionary:religion: Market:c5production:
135 - Monument:c5production: Village (military engineering, buttress)
136 - Machinery:c5science: Temple:c5production: Ba Trieu:c5unhappy:
137 - Cadiz:c5capital: Monument:c5gold: Shrine:c5production: Cyrus (military):c5strength:
139 - Military Engineering:c5science: Campus:c5production: Preserve:c5production:
140 - Aqueduct:c5production: Comet (Knight) Trader:c5production:
141 - Buttress:c5science: Armory:c5gold:
142 - Campus:c5production:
143 - Temple:c5production:
144 - AEthelflaed:greatwork::c5citizen: Settler:religion:
145 - Divine Right:c5culture: Settler:c5gold: Campus:c5production: Monarchy:c5citystate: Monument:c5production: Builder:c5production:
146 - Gunpowder:c5science: Quang Tri:c5puppet: Conquistador:c5moves: Conquistador:c5moves: Conquistador:c5moves: Campus:c5production: Commercial hub:c5production:
147 - Library:c5production: Missionary:religion:
148 - Machu Pichu:tourism:
149 - Market:c5gold: Crossbowman:c5moves: Crossbowman:c5moves: Harbor:c5production: Zealandia:trade:
150 - Guilds:c5culture: Moksha:c5citizen: Missionary:religion: Crossbowman:c5moves: Library:c5production:
151 - Banking:c5science: Campus:c5production: Quadrireme:c5production: Workshop:c5production: Library:c5production:
152 - Ibn Khaldun:greatwork::c5citizen: Library:c5production: Kostromskaya:c5war:
153 - Granary:c5production: Aqueduct:c5production: Chinguetti:c5unhappy:
154 - Mass Production:c5science: Diplomatic Service:c5culture: Córdoba:c5capital: Seville:c5capital:
155 - Castles:c5science: Harbor:c5production: Builder:religion:
156 - Cartography:c5science: Medieval Faires:c5culture: Liang:c5citizen: Ancient walls:c5production:
157 - Siege tower:c5moves: Conquistador:c5moves: Courser:c5moves: Circumnavigation:c5trade: Ancient walls:c5production: Ancient walls:c5production: Ancient walls:c5production: Ancient walls:c5production: University:c5production:
158 - Statue of Zeus:tourism: Crossbowman:c5moves: Crossbowman:c5moves: Crossbowman:c5moves: Pokrovka:c5war:
159 - Square Rigging:c5science: Siege tower:c5moves: Pikeman:c5moves: Medieval walls:c5production: Ancient walls:c5production: Timur:greatwork::c5citizen:
160 - Ancient walls:c5production: Lighthouse:c5production: Ancient walls:c5production: Granary:c5production: Pikeman:c5moves:
161 - Printing:c5science: Kul Oba:c5war: Peace with Tomirys Pikeman:c5moves: Caravel:c5moves: Frigate:c5moves: Medieval walls:c5production: Courser:c5moves:
162 - Caravel:c5moves: Holy site:c5production: Settler:religion: Aqueduct:c5production:
163 - Courser:c5moves:
164 - Trader:c5production: Conquistador:c5moves: Crossbowman:c5moves: Commercial hub:c5production: Monument:c5production: Piopiotahi:c5food:
165 - Ancient walls:c5production: Emilie du Châtelet:greatwork::c5citizen: Medieval walls:c5production: Foreign ministry:c5production: Zoning commissioner (Liang):c5citizen: Settler:religion:
166 - Trebuchet:c5production: Village (+1 pop)
167 - Humanism:c5culture: A Coruña:c5capital: Holy site:c5production: Entertainment complex:c5production:
168 - Cyrus (end of alliance):c5strength: Library:c5production: Commercial hub:c5production: Monument:c5production: Shrine:c5production: John:c5influence: Met all the civilizations:c5trade:
169 - Ibn Fadlan:greatwork::c5citizen: Lighthouse:c5production: Ancient walls:c5production: Ancient walls:c5production: Kumasi:c5influence: Worker:c5unhappy:
170 - Library:c5production: Market:c5production:
171 - Siege Tactics:c5science: Trebuchet:c5production: Industrial zone:c5production: Workshop:c5gold: Industrialization:c5science: War to Eleanor:c5war: War to Menelik:c5war: Addis Ababa:c5war: Galápagos Islands:c5food:
172 - Metal Casting:c5science: Armory:c5production: Bombard:c5moves: Missionary:religion: Paris:c5war: Eleanor:c5unhappy:
173 - The Enlightenment:c5culture: Scientific Theory:c5science: War to John:c5war: Toledo:c5capital: Market:c5production: Settler:c5war: Ancient walls:c5production:
174 - Harbor:c5production: Trader:religion: Trader:religion: Trader:religion: Trader:religion:
175 - Canberra:c5war: John:c5unhappy: Caravel:c5moves: Bombard:c5moves: Lighthouse:c5production: Trader:religion:
176 - Ballistics:c5science: Ancient walls:c5production: Galileo Galilei:greatwork::c5citizen: Barracks:c5production: Temple:c5production: Stable:c5production: Ancient walls:c5production: Builder:c5unhappy:
177 - Bi Sheng:greatwork::c5citizen: Monument:c5production:
178 - Mercantilism:c5culture: Military engineer:c5production: Field cannon:c5moves: Field cannon:c5moves: Industrial zone:c5production: Pike and shot:c5moves: Shipyard:c5production:
179 - Flight:c5science: Field cannon:c5moves: Trader:religion: Harbor:c5production:
180 - University:c5production: University:c5production: Kumasi:c5war:
181 - :c5greatperson:Renaissance Era (Golden Age - Hic Sunt Dracones) Aqueduct:c5production: Pike and shot:c5moves: Field cannon:c5moves: Peace with Menelik War to Simon:c5war:
182 - Military Science:c5science: Bogotá:c5war: Caravel:c5production: Caravel:c5production: Frigate:c5production: War to Cyrus:c5war: Aqueduct:c5production: Campus:c5production:
183 - Irene of Athens:greatwork::c5citizen: Himerios:greatwork::c5citizen: Line infantry:c5production: Line infantry:c5moves: Pike and shot:c5production: Las Palmas:c5capital:
184 - Sparda:c5war: Spy:c5production:
185 - Civil Engineering:c5culture: Hattusa:c5war: Pasargadae:c5war:
185 - Domination Victory:c5happy:

Spoiler City build order :

Madrid:c5capital: (T1): Warrior > Warrior > Monument > Builder > Slinger > Settler > Trader > Galley > Galley > Galley > Holy site > Archer € Builder > Settler > Builder € Water mill > Pyramids > Horseman > Horseman > Campus > Library > Shrine > Horseman F Missionary > University F Missionary > Temple > Trader > Builder > Quadrireme > Granary > Ancient walls > Trader > Trader > Trebuchet > Harbor > Medieval walls
Valencia:c5capital: (T25): Monument > Builder > Archer > Settler > Encampment € Barracks > Archer > Spearman > Warrior > Archer > Campus G Library > Swordsman > Archer > Archer > Spearman > Man-at-arms > University € Armory > Statue of Zeus > Ancient walls > Medieval walls > Forbidden City
Barcelona:c5capital: (T46): Monument > Campus > Library > Archer > Government plaza > Ancestral hall > Granary > Trader > Ancient walls > Archer > Archer Builder > University > Machu Pichu > Harbor > Foreign ministry > Lighthouse F Trader F Trader F Trader F Trader F Trader > Casa de contratación
Valladolid:c5capital: (T73): Monument > Swordsman > Water mill > Builder > Preserve > Harbor > Ancient walls > Lighthouse > Entertainment complex > Shipyard > Arena
Cartagena:c5capital: (T82): Monument > Battering ram > Campus > Industrial zone > Aqueduct > Workshop > Ancient walls > Medieval walls > Holy site > Library > University > Observation balloon
Dong Hoi:c5war: (T110): Monument € Granary € Water mill > Commercial hub > Market > Campus > Library > Ancient walls > Bank > University > Courser
Salamanca:c5capital: (T117): Monument > Campus > Commercial hub € Market > Aqueduct > Ancient walls > Medieval walls Library > Bank
Thang Long:c5war: (T120): Repairs > Water mill F Settler € Settler > Holy site > Shrine > Temple F Settler € Settler > Campus > Library F Missionary F Missionary > University > Ancient walls > Granary > Trebuchet > Armory > Military engineer > Line infantry > Military academy
Hoa Lu:c5war: (T126): Repairs > Campus > Library > Ancient walls > University Stable > Courser
Maikop:c5influence: (T126): Monument > Campus > Library > Medieval walls > Holy site > Shrine F Missionary > Temple > Spy > Repair
Zaragoza:c5capital: (T134): Monument F Builder > Aqueduct > Ancient walls > Industrial zone € Workshop > Aerodrome > Campus > Hangar
Cadiz:c5capital: (T137): € Monument > Aqueduct > Ancient walls > Industrial zone > Pike and shot > Aerodrome
Quang Tri:c5puppet: (T146): Commercial hub > Market > Aqueduct > Cuirassier
Kostromskaya:c5war: (T152): Monument > Ancient walls > Barracks > Frigate
Córdoba:c5capital: (T154): Ancient walls F Settler > Monument > Commercial hub > Market > Aqueduct > Commercial hub investment
Seville:c5capital: (T154): F Settler > Monument > Harbor > Lighthouse > Ancient walls > Caravel > Shipyard
Pokrovka:c5war: (T158): Repairs > Ancient walls F Trader > Caravel > Archaeological museum
Kul Oba:c5war: (T161): Repairs > Ancient walls Library
A Coruña:c5capital: (T167): Ancient walls > Monument > Frigate > Frigate
Addis Ababa:c5war: (T171): Repairs > Ancient walls > Medieval walls
Paris:c5war: (T172): Repairs
Toledo:c5capital: (T173): Entertainment complex
Canberra:c5war: (T175): Ancient walls
Kumasi:c5war: (T180): Repairs
Bogotá:c5war: (T182): Ancient walls
Las Palmas:c5capital: (T183): Monument
Sparda:c5war: (T184): Monument
Hattusa:c5war: (T185): Repairs

Attachments

• GOTM122 PHILIP II 185 Domination.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Domination Victory, Turn 191 Score 1122

Focused on going for an early horse rush to crush my opponents.
Focused on getting Religion. Focused on getting Oligarchy and stayed in that a long time.

No. I didn't build a single theatre square or capture one.
Cyrus had an awesome starting location, the wonder Paititi gave him (and then me) loads of culture. His every hex was a resource or otherwise amazing.

Yes. Work Ethic (for the production boost - I ran doubled holy sites adjacencys a lot). Meeting House (I built very few of these - a waste). Tithe (for the cash boost from having cities of my religion).

I built a reasonable number of good science districts where I had 3 or even 4 adjacency bonus, then pumped those to libraries. I built 2 universities but no more than that. I had such a strong science lead over my opponents that no more than that was necessary.

Lahore helped me pump out a few Nihang units where I needed them before I achieved Theocracy/Grand Masters Chapel. I did have to go and help Lahore a couple of times as it was on the verge of being overwhelmed by zombies. In retrospect I should have levied it's military and then upgraded it, and then ignored it.
The passive 15% science effect effect from Geneva, once I stripped it from Cyrus I'm sure was significant. The duration of my wars was pretty short after I got that, the others I kind of ignored. The production pair of Brussles and Singapore were never a factor as they were wiped out by zombies.

Tomyris was really tough to take out, she had walls around her capitol and nearest city and I just wasn't ready for them. My military got a kicking and had to make peace and retreat until I wheeled up a siege tower (from the newly completed statue of Zeus). Her recovery speed with doubled light horse production was ferocious, I always forget how strong she is.

When I made it to the other continents the enemy capitols were just swarming with rings of zombies around them. Very funny. But hard work blasting through all those Zombies and dealing with the constant re-spawn. A lot of defensively fortified units just letting the zombies smash themselves into me to wear them down. Capturing the foreign continent capitols was trivial as they had no units or strength once I got through the zombies. My first assault on Bogota was repulsed as I had too few units as was swarmed by zombies I had to retreat, heal up and come back with a lot more.
I rather foolishly tried to keep the other capitols and make them functional fighting on loads of respawn. I should have just ignored them and moved on, for the assault on Simon Bolivar I did that ignoring Canberra and just swimming my army across the sea.

Yes. I've never played a zombie game before. The slowly increasing strength of the zombies and the constant random re-spawn was fun. Having to play a lot more defensivly in the so called safe heartlands of my empire was a nice change.
The increasing strength of zombies was a really cool mechanic in keeping them relevant and preventing my military from outpacing them.

I left them alone of possible but generally I murdered them. Letting them fling themselves on walls and being shot in the face by ranged units.
I built a lot more encampments and walls on every city as nowhere was safe.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0191.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
EIther let them damage themselves against walls until you can one-shot them or damage them with a unit and finish them off with ranged. Walls early, more ranged, then just lots of wrist action each turn.
Not in for any trophies but here is the game, no crashes this time.

I've played this game so many time I'm embarrassed to say it. I just can't figure it out. I feel like I've built a decent army and every time I'm thrashed at some point. It seems like by the time I get units out to fight they're outclassed by the time they fight in their second city. When I get to the point that I survive all that the world is so completely carpeted with Zombies I give up. I've been looking at your save game, and I'm just amazed at how clean of zombies your home continent is. I would take any advice you're willing to give but I think what I'm most interested in is what do you focus on when? You said you started with Calvary. Did you just push for horsemen and they were enough for your first wave? Did you build more than one army? What were they composed of? I've been playing Deity lately but all peaceful science games. I had just won my first sub-200 and wanted a different challenge. Boy did I find it. I've done some warmongering in the past on Prince but it's been a while. I don't remember it ever being so difficult.

Last edited:
but I think what I'm most interested in is what do you focus on when? You said you started with Calvary. Did you just push for horsemen and they were enough for your first wave?
There are those that do it better than me but it’s probably that I play fast, the principles are the key thing.

If you are going to Dom you can’t really compromise, you have to be ‘all in’. For this game when I started I thought, GOTM always seems to have horses nearby so I will go for the cavalry rush (the best rush in the game) so first off is animal husbandry and a slinger. It is a long way to horses so anything to get you there faster including an archer eureka. From the civic side military tradition because when you build the horses it is faster to use the 50% light cav card. Also having 2 horses worked really helps get enough cav out.

So I thought Zombies, I hate zombies, I do not play them very much but the principles I remember (right or wrong) are
never kill them in melee, always shoot them
Get city walls up ASAP, it seems to limit the chances of losing pop and zombie respawning.
Get to Xbow as soon as you can and other shooty levels including nationalism for combining to corps. This way your city walls are shooting well.
Kill barb camps ASAP
Kill off civs and CS if it is relatively easy to do so because the just feed zombies.
There were times during the game I would damage a zombie with melee then finish with archers, I feel that is fine but not know for sure.
Zombies spawn less with time, so around my capital near the end of the game they no longer spawned by using fog busters helps (I should have used more of them really). But we’re zombies have died expect them to randomly respawn for a while and that means I always had an archer type for every few cities just to help out.

Thirdly and just as important in this game is Spain’s cross continent ability to earn a lot of gold and production and faith between your cities with trade routes. I remember well finding a spot for my second city on another continent that had horses, getting that founded, a trade route between that and my capital (speed up horses movement a little) and getting horses going because you get a free builder makes getting that second city vital. You also have to nursemaid that route because zombies like traders a lot.

From that second city I went left past Geneva to see how far the continent went (a key thing for sailing considerations) and found a single city civ next to one of the top natural wonders who was happily feeding zombies so they had to go first, just because that culture helps me get to nationalism for better shooters.

from there is is clear the land and protect it from zombies while you build up strength. I decided to not take Scythia immediately because they would be difficult and upgrading my cavalry for this would be important for the job. Also by this stage some CS were struggling/dying so they seemed the priority. I was waiting to be able to sail over deep water and sail faster so there was no immediate rush. I had used 1 charge builder and galleys to explore a bit so had some idea of where to go. Also the great lighthouse helps speed up this charge.

So they are the key things, For build order, it should be relatively clear, slinger, settler builder archer archer settler if I remember right, with horses as soon in there as possible. There was some great campus adjacencies and you need science speed to keep up with the zombies but to me the most important thing was that second city. My capital too a bit of a pounding from the first zombies but a single slinger clears them, there was some avoiding shooting until I could kill them approach as well, not sure that’s right but zombie death against my non walled city sounded very melee like so killing with a shot was my priority.

That should help a lot, there is still luck involved and I remember taking my first city was easy because zombies had damaged but a lot of zombies respawned there.

Last edited:
So I thought Zombies, I hate zombies, I do not play them very much but the principles I remember (right or wrong) are
Get city walls up ASAP, it seems to limit the chances of losing pop and zombie respawning.
Get to Xbow as soon as you can and other shooty levels including nationalism for combining to corps. This way your city walls are shooting well.
Kill barb camps ASAP
Kill off civs and CS if it is relatively easy to do so because the just feed zombies.
There were times during the game I would damage a zombie with melee then finish with archers, I feel that is fine but not know for sure.
Zombies spawn less with time, so around my capital near the end of the game they no longer spawned by using fog busters helps (I should have used more of them really). But we’re zombies have died expect them to randomly respawn for a while and that means I always had an archer type for every few cities just to help out.

Thank you so much. All of that was awesome help. Just focusing more on ranged and getting that upgraded. I didn't realize that it mattered if I killed zombies with melee or ranged, but it seems to help a LOT to kill them ranged. They seem to just subside over time. Also I think I read once but totally forgot how city walls worked with the best owned ranged unit giving it it's ranged strength. I am on turn 172. I have a 987 strength army. I just got to field cannons so the walls are once again quite effective against zombies. Next I need to take Scythia's one remaining city. I have a couple caravels and a frigate so with that and my army I'm hoping to head west and take out some cities! Thanks again. Huge help.

Dom Vic t169, score 908
The zombies were really allies in the end! :) Though I did lose one city to them (Bilbao, neglected to get walls up quickly, but it was an inconsequential city really).
Fun game, thanks guys!

Attachments

• ARNOLD_T t169 1080 AD score 908.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
... zombies...

interesting theory, that seems to match my anecdotal evidence as well. I wonder if any code divers have confirmed this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom