6otM82 After Action

T187 SV Victory but not valid as I accidentally got a dom victory at 160, reloaded and continued.
Spoiler :

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
I built no settlers, first time ever. I captured 4 through the game but they were pretty irrelevant. I captured every city on the board but 1 and kept about 13 CS
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Iron working first then up to Hansa's.
- Did you bother with religion?
Nope but at abiout T120 I gained a religion as not many others had bothered.
- How did you pump your science??
Capturing cities fast and chopping in the buildings
- Were City-States helpful?
In so many ways, they were nice meat to start and Amagh made for a great main spaceport.
Vilnius had iron under it which was a nice surprise.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
The lack of gold at the start was challenging and good, just had to curb my normal wasteful spending
- Did you enjoy the game?
Very much so, Fred is a great SV chap
However I hated the level 4 disasters. Barbs I can cope with but tornadoes wrecking my spaceport is a step too far for me.
View attachment 549230

Messed up a lot with the end game just because I was rushing the game too much. Certainly could shave 25 turns off it in a replay with a better laser finish and better culture.

The way I learn Civ is by trying to follow GOTM guides to figure out what the great players are doing and not doing.

I've tried every combination I can and I can't get a pantheon on turn 14. I'm assuming that you popped a relic or a +20 faith. On one combination I got a relic on turn 19, but that put me far behind you! I'd give anything for that turn 14 save, though I'm sure you don't have it. :lol:

I'd give anything for that turn 14 save, though I'm sure you don't have it. :lol:
popped a relic. I should be able to get it again, I’ll post it here. If I remember, I sent my warrior the fastest way left and bumped into a barb camp while I produced a scout, went down and straight over the river where there was a hut.
I’m not that great.... if you want to k ow roughly what I did I can post that too.
Once you know How the land looks, where I settled ruined other good spots so I just did not bother making any settlers.

Last edited:
popped a relic. I should be able to get it again, I’ll post it here. If I remember, I sent my warrior the fastest way left and bumped into a barb camp while I produced a scout, went down and straight over the river where there was a hut.
I’m not that great.... if you want to k ow roughly what I did I can post that too.
Once you know How the land looks, where I settled ruined other good spots so I just did not bother making any settlers.

I consider sub-200 science victories to be a great achievement! It’s almost embarrassing how hard I’ve tried to get that early relic. Working from home due to this corona virus has given me a lot of free time! :lol:

I consider sub-200 science victories to be a great achievement! I
It is nothing to do with the relic.
You can get sub 200 fine without... but you need to do some key things. For example....
You need to get as many inspirations as possible, culture must be high to make the moon landing work so you reach
globalisation. So getting a great Merchant in time as well as 2 markets and 4 trade routes means a few early commercial hubs... but do not overdo it as you are doing a science victory too.
You need an alliance, a 10 pop city, a 15 pop city, 2 caravels... and so on. Just which and how many depends on a lot of things. I missed quite a few in the game and regretted it. In this German game I was stupid, when I met Rapa Nui I should have built some statues to pump culture more but because I did not I finished the moon landing culture rush 10 turns short of globalisation. Whether it be Rapa Nui or Inspirations I was rushing too much and did not keep an eye on my culture target enough.
I spent too much gold and did not build Big Ben or forgotten city despite having chop and cities available for a good laser chop city which was available on the other continent, lost about another 10 turns there
I had both a power outage and a spaceport damaged by twisters losing me about 12 turns.
There are other things as well but you see that if things are done right you are well below 200 so the relic is not vital.
I can play the game again without if you wanted to see, but I know where everything is.

I think key thing I did in the game was to take Vilnius, then Armagh, then Preslav and managed to take out most of Mapuche before they Went golden. I used warriors into swords for this and it was pure dumb luck there was iron under Vilnius to allow this. I was an early Suze of Kabul which also helped as promotions heal and every turn helps. Getting a road to Mapuche was a risk but it paid off. (I hate losing trade routes). Also I got a GG which helped all the way to the end..

At this stage I looked for a city with 10 chops and only found Armagh so did not chop anything there but I should have build a theater first to not only get up culture but so the city would expand so I did not have to buy tiles there later. (So many errors). I did turn most of the city into lumbermills which did allow great production before the chop and I did pillage enough on the second continent for this.

I could have done Amundsen Scott wonder but do not think that would have helped my game. It’s a wonder for those wanting science to show 2500 at the end of the game IMO.

I think my best city production was 60 prod. Production is just not important enough to boost when you use chops and workers but you do need it up around 60 so you can hard build your second spaceport while getting to mars/exo techs.

That quote takes me somewhere quite far away
is it a quote? It just sounded right so I wrote it, not surprised if someone has said something similar... it is just so apt for this game.
EDIT: You made me go and check... some nice quotes I like there but weirdly not similar to mine

“I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion.”
― Yohji Yamamoto
“When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are.”
― Donald Miller
“I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.”
― Michael J. Fox
"So many things conspire against perfection that often it feels intentional"
- Victoria :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I was able to get the same relic start as @Victoria if you want to give it a shot. Save attached.

Attachments

• FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 7 3760 BC.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
Science victory. Turn 251. 2456

Settled: 8
Captured: 26

All the usual science things. Early Horses to take out my continent.

Got a relic early on from a goody hut, so I did get a religion. Ended up in a pointless religious war on 2nd continents. Massive waster of time. Having to avoid a golden age in classical so I could beat mapuche was a major hit, I could have really used monumentality.

Loads of cities with universities.

Yes, for all the bonus'

wow, mapuche is tough in mountains when I am in a golden age. I let the golden age fade so I could take him.
Disasters were a nightmare. The mountain near my capitol erupted 4 times in the first 2 ages and I got 3 floods in the same time before I managed to build a damn. Loads of other mountains sprang to live and had many very destructive events. I ended up leaving 1 charge builders nar many volcano vulnerable cities.

Yes. But I get too distracted and bored not doing stuff. To releave the boredom I invaded the 2nd continent and that cost me hours of real time managing the war in detail. I don't think it materially sped up my completion at all.
I mistimed building things everything after the spaceport and it took ages. Even with multiple counterspys protecting the spaceport and city centres through adjacencies I have 3 governess thrown out of my capital. Arrrg.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0251.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
T188SV

Coming within 1 turn of @Victoria is an honor as half of what I know about the game comes from their posts. I had a great start but completely lost focus for the last 50 turns and cost myself a dozen or more turns making suboptimal moves.
end.jpeg

Early Game:

Crossed the river before settling so I could work one of the 2 culture tiles immediately. My plan was to conquer most city states rapidly with the +7 attack bonus (preserving any Science ones of course), so opening builds were Warrior/Warrior/Slinger/Builder/Warrior and then a break for Government Plaza for another title, Slinger, and a Holy Site.

Met Amargh T6 for free envoy and fast Religious Settlements Pantheon. In retrosepct I kind of wish I took Fire Goddess just for kicks. I wasn’t excatly certain where to plant the second city so the Settler ended up wandering a bit and actually popped a hut for a Relic before ultimately settling north of the Eyjafjallajökull for even more culture. Also got a free envoy from Vilinius (T7) and Babylon (T15). Lots of early huts including 40g (T2), BW boost (T12), Archery boost (T21), Relic (T24), 20f (T34), 20DF (T46), Theology boost (T77), 120g (T77), Trader (T108), and Scout (T137). The 120g was by far the most helpful as it was just enough to levy Hong Kong and keep steamrolling.

Three Warrriors captured Vilinius on T25, and then rolled onward to capture Amrgh on T34. Oligarchy came online in time for them to smash Preslav T44. Found Kandy late and captured them with a Galley and Warrior on T80.

Meanwhile, Amani gave me control of Babylon which revealed Kabul and Ngarzagamu (both provided free envoys). I levied Babylon’s two Warriors and sent my own Slinger. They captured Kabul T38 and Ngarzagamu T54, waiting a few turns to get the Warlord’s Throne bonus. Annnoyingly, a flood damaged the Government Plaza the same turn, so I lost 3 turns of the 20% bonus.

Mapuche was a little harder, but with Sword upgrades and some extra levied Archers from Hong Kong I was able to capture their cities on T74, T80, and T85 - a great haul since they had a 3 adjacency and a 5 adjacency Campus. Captured two cities from China on T92 and T98, their cities had Campus, Aqueduct (for boost), and Temple of Artemis.

Wonders: Pyramis (T61), Oracle (T83)

Middle Game

Got a Religion and took Jesuit Education, which ended up letting me buy 3 Libraries, 4 Universities and 5 Research Labs over the course of the game. Not sure if Choral Music would have been better, since I had so few Holy Sites.

Finally got to the new continent T92, and thanks to saved Kilwa envoys levied La Venta and Brussels immediately. Used levied troops to take out Persia (captured a Settler the turn I declared, took a long time to capture their two cties since the one by Yosemite revolted before I could take the capital (T126, had Great Bath and Apandana). Veterans from Persia took two small cities from Mongolia just to relieve loyalty pressure on my Persian holdings. Used a single Frigate, two Galleys, and a Musket to take all of England’s cities (only had a Harbor and a Holy Site I think)

I declared on Mali solely to pillage and ended up getting about 4000g from them. Pillaged about 2000f and 500c from Hungary but Mongolia snuck in and stole their capital before I could get it. My pillaging rampage was ended by a stupid emergency declaration on T137, and I never bothered to declare war again.

Wonders: Coliseum (T90), Kilwa (T96), Terra Cotta Army (T120), Forbidden City (rushed with Isidore, T120), Apandana (captured T126), Petra (T132).

Late Game:

Hit Rocketry T133 and ended up getting 5 total Spacesports (3 built, 1 purchased with gold and 1 purchased with faith). Moon Landing T157 but culture was so slow it got me nowhere close to Globalization. Exoplanet launched T175, but since laser projects were buried as the very last tech in the tree they were not available until T181. Chopped in 3 lasers the turn the tech completed (two in the same turn in the city where I bought the Spaceport with faith), and then built/chopped/grinded 6 more in the next 4 turns.

Wonders: Big Ben (148), Bolshoi (T155:Scorched Earth/Conservation), Oxford (T165: Telecommunications, Seasteads).

Notes:

Eyjafjallajökull was very interesting to live next to. It only erupted twice - thought it would be many more with high disaster setting? The first mega-eruption on T25 was very helpful, killing one pop and removing two sheep, but fertilizing a whopping 11 tiles (7f,4h). The second was absolutely terrible, on T139 killing 4 pop and damaging 10 tiles. Even worse, a 1000 year flood right around the same time wrecked the Campus, Government Plaza, and 5 buildings. Should have built a Dam!

Never really used Foreign Ministry much but it was fun this game. I had a 50 power Sword romping through Hungary thanks to Oligarchy, Foreign Ministry, Visibility, and Urban Warfare.

Apparently the Apandana loses functionality if captured? I seized it T126 and chopped Petra 6 turns later just for the 2 envoys, but never got any from Petra or any future wonders. That was disappointing.

Room for Improvement:

The biggest thing was that my culture was way too slow. This delayed Globalization till around T170. I should really have taken advantage of Rapa Nui - horrendously I just simply forgot about them after saving the game and starting up after a two week break! Especially with all the volcanic soil this was a boneheaded move. On the other hand, at least I avoid accidentally winning a cultural victory which I might have done if I mindlessly spammed them without thinking of tourism....

Should have went for Communism a bit earlier. I was beelining Globalization but since I got there so late having the 10% science bonus earlier would have been more effective.

Delaying Catrography till T92 since I wanted to get all the boost along the path including Buttress. Would have been better to just beeline it to get conquering overseas sooner.

After T138 I stopped building military and mostly ran projects in minor cities. I wish I made a few mounted units for another round of pillaging, probably co.ld have gotten a second faith Spaceport and/or few more Research Labs. And, I totally forgot about Warlord’s Throne in the late game so left about 50 turns of 20% production bonus on the table.

Attachments

• FREDERICK BARBAROSSA 188 1270 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:
SV @ Turn 205 (invalid due to accidentally finishing Oxford Uni too early :lol:)

While on King you can easily plan and finish any wonder you want, I find that the computer is too weak to be a reliable trading partner OR a good resource farm, so you have to build a lot of stuff yourself.

How many cities did you settle or capture?
Settled 14 and captured 18
What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Get eurekas, inspirations; 44 great people recruited totally; Planned for Kilwa, Oxford and Ruhr Valley; First space port was bought, second was handcrafted :blush:
Did you bother with religion?
Nope.
How did you pump your science?
Campuses, Pop 10 cities and suzerained the 2 science city states.
Were City-States helpful?
Very much so, especially in the end with the +5% bonus for science and culture.
Did you enjoy the game?
Very much so,
prepared a turn-by-turn report below. Thank you 6otM team!
Spoiler :
T1 - Aachen settled 1NW
T12 - Megacollosal eruption, -1 pop in Aachen
T17 - Megacollosal eruption (+26 fertilized tiles in total)

T19 - Divine Spark (China took Religious Settlements)
T27 - Hamburg founded (2 tiles from volcano)
T30 - Major flood, Rhine river (1 tile pillaged)
T33 - Major barb invasion from W of Aachen
T37 - First Campus (Aachen completed - delayed due to barb activity)
T38 - 1000 year flood on the Rhine (-2 pop)
T43 - Armagh suzerained (Amani moves to Kabul - mostly to explore)
T44 - Political Philosophy (classical republic)
T47 - Gov. Plaza complete in Aachen, barbs again from W!
T49 - Met Lautaro, Suzerained Hong Kong
T51 - Currency
T54 - WAR on Armagh
T55 - Armagh conquered
T55 - Classical Age (golden), Pen, Brush & Voice
T56 - Babylon suzerained
T59 - Recorded History complete
T59 - WAR on Preslav
T60 - Science 29.2, Culture 20.4, +3 Diplo favour
T61 - Aryabhata recruited
T62 - Preslav conquered
T68 - Apprenticeship
T69 - WAR on China
T70 - Heavy Chariot lost to Barbarians
- Hypatia recruited
T71 - Gunagzhou conquered
T74 - Feudalism
T81 - Chinese settler captured
- Longxi conquered
T83 - Berlin founded
T84 - al-Zahrawi recruited
T86 - Xi'an conquered (China defeated)
T88 - Mainz founded (Kilwa Kisiwani city)
T93 - Hattusa, Kandy discovered
T94 - WAR on Mapuche
T95 - Crassus, Omar Khayyam recruited
- Hattusa suzerained
T97 - Banking
T99 - Cologne founded
T100 - Science 101, Culture 82.9, +3 Diplo favour
T101 - Trier founded
T104 - Homer recruited
T105 - Hildegard of Bingen recruited
T106 - Lost 1 Heavy Chariot!!
- Medieval Age (golden), Pen, Brush & Voice
- Puel Mapu conquered
T107 - +100% to Campus buildings
- Medieval Fairies
T109 - Ovid, Hannibal Barca (faith) recruited
T115 - Bi Sheng recruited
T116 - Astronomy, The Enlightenment
T117 - Puel Mapu rebels, Ngula Mapu conquered (Mapuche defeated)
T118 - Exploration (Merchant Republic)
T119 - Scientific Theory
- Irene of Athens, Murasaki Shikibu recruited
T120 - Kilwa Kisiwani built, Met England, Puel Mapu "liberated"
T122 - Met Hungary, Muscat
T123 - Met Mongolia
T125 - Civil Engineering
T126 - Met Persia
T128 - Colonialism, Li Bai recruited, Suzerained Muscat
T129 - Emilie du Chatelet recruited, Brussels suzerained
- Magdeburg founded, met Mali
T130 - Erfurt founded
T131 - Dortmund founded
T135 - Kandy conquered
T136 - Regensburg founded
T138 - Steam Power, Isaac Newton recruited
T139 - Rajendra Chola, James St. George recruited
T140 - WAR on England, Heidelberg founded
T142 - Flight!!, Buddhism founded (last prophet), Jesuit Education +
T143 - Munster founded
T146 - Renaissance Era (golden)
- 380 science, 152 culture, 9700 gold!!
- Galileo Galilei, Miguel Cervantes recruited
T150 - Razed 1 English city, occupied London, peace
T151 - Rocketry, Mass Media complete, Space Port bought in Aachen!!
T153 - Isidore of Miletus
T156 - James Young (faith) recruited, WAR on Persia
T157 - Wiliam Shakespear recruited
T159 - Launch Earth Satellite, Raja Todal Mar recruited
T160 - Electricity, Ideology
T162 - Mendeleev recruited (faith)
T163 - Ruhr Valley completed
- WAR on England, to take Manchaster and built an Offshore Oil Rig :)
T164 - Class Struggle -> Communism, Manchaster conquered, 1 English builder captured :)
T167 - Marie d'Aulnoy recruited
T169 - Mimar Sinan, Charles Darwin (!) and Donatello recruited
T171 - Moon Landing launched
T172 - Space Race
, Nuclear Fission
T173 - Catastrophic eruption of Eyja...
T174 - Globalization
T175 - Nanotechnology, Professional Sports
T177 - Peace with England
T179 - Launch Mars Colony, Telecommunications, Social Media
T183 - Robotics
T184 - Optimization Imperative
T185 - Cybernetics
T187 - Nuclear Fusion, Conservation
T188 - Peace with everyone
T189 - Catastrophic eruption of Eyja... (-5 pop)
- Oxford University completed (delayed on purpose)
- Smart Materials, Advanced AI, Seasteds
T190 - Albert Einstein recruited
T192 - Cultural Heritage
T193 - Exoplanet mission launched, Predictive Systems
T205 - Victory (expedition at 11 light-years/turn, Science +1250, Culture +497)

Turn 332 - 1911AD - Score 3231 - Science
44 Cities
Industry and then tanks
Yes, I used faith to purchase campuses and holy city things.

Yes, I ended up not taking many of them and using them for Science + Faith

Lots of weather conditions, and having so many coal plants made the weather changes more severe, that slowed down the end point.

Yes, it was different and I hadn't played with Fredrick before. This is my first submitted game.

Attachments

• FREDERICK BARBAROsa - Final.Civ6Save
    2.9 MB · Views: 225
337 SV
How many cities did you settle or capture? Settled 11 Captured 15 Vilinius turned out to be in a really good spot.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? I went for military units early because I wanted to hit a few city states right out of the gate.Then went eurekas then project stuff.

- Did you bother with religion? I did Jesuit education is pretty sweet I also had stewardship RC and stupas. I also hit a few monumentality GA's and then used Moksha to buy spaceports.

- How did you pump your science?? Other peoples campuses lol

- Were City-States helpful? Yes I had 8 under me and conquered 3 I grabbed two religious and two science early on.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Stupid hurricane hit my capitol and ruined my hansa while Mars was being built.I got things sorted and then a spy blew up my spaceport even though my spy killed him.

- Did you enjoy the game? Yes.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0337.Civ6Save
    2.6 MB · Views: 232
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish.

SV T203 1420 AD score 2397 - submission is late, but thought I'd do it anyway, since I spent so much time on it!

Re: Please state ... the save choice
-> what does "the save choice" mean?

settled only three with my own settlers. three with captured settlers, and conquered all other cities on the map, leaving only London alone. I also had Mathias' last surviving little city convert to Germany via loyalty pressure, eliminating him from the game. I've never seen that happen before.

I haven't played much Civ lately and was kinda rusty. Haven't played much GS either. Did the Science Victory change? it seemed unfamiliar at the end.

Milestones T100+:
t100 founded religion
t101 Merchant Replublic
t120 Buda (Hangarian Capital captured)
t130 Niani (Mali Capital captured)
t133 Mali eliminated
t152 Mongol Capital
t155 Rocketry
t159 Mongols elim
t160 Satelites
t162 Persian Cap
t164 Persia elim
t175 Democracy

I didn't really know (or remember?) how to get science victory, so just winged it from there. Shoulda built fewer wonders at the end and built more spaceports, got more power going, and secured more aluminum.

Yeah, fun game! thanks guys!

BTW this is the first gotm game I've played on both desktop Windows and iPad, moving the save file back and forth between the two occasionally. it works now that both have Gathering Storm. the interface on Windows iTunes isn't very intuitive and it took me a while to figure out to do the movement of the save file each way. it's a little tricky

Attachments

• Arnold_T gotm82 SV T203 1420 AD .Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 183
T216 SV, Score 2141 (Invalid due to a few 1 turn reloads)

This is wildly past the deadline, but I wanted to try a 6otM, but I didn’t have the Frontier pass, and Georgia didn’t appeal to me.

Settled 5 cities through my own settlers (Including capital), and one captured settler, all at various points in the game.
Captured 3 city states, and conquered the whole of China, and Mapuche. Took all Mongolian cities but one, took all Mali cities but one, and took all Hungarian cities but one. Didn’t get to England in time. I didn’t keep the civs alive for any particular reason, their last cities were just out of the way of my war path and I didn’t want to spend time going after it.

I researched the basic techs, went up the top half of tech tree, and picked up machinery when I reached Gothic Architecture. I also had to research Printing due to Mongolia. After rocketry, I went to satellites, then went through the bottom half of the tech tree to get nano technology, then stumbled around till exoplanet.

I got a religion because it’s fairly easy to get one on king, without too much investment. Didn’t help much, I got a little early culture through choral music, but then I used my faith on monumentality instead of spreading the religion.

Golden ages throughout the game, monumentality-monumentality-monumentality-heartbeat of steam.

Pumped science through campuses in almost every city on my continent. The other continent gave me science through pop, and more importantly, lots of culture through theater squares and monuments.

Kabul was crucial to my game, I didn’t have the money to upgrade all my warriors to swordsmen in the China campaign, but one Urban warfare swordsman was enough to finish China off. After that, my veteran troops let me wage war with very few units.
Hattusa and Babylon were helpful purely because they are science city states, Kandy let me get a bunch of faith for buying builders, Hong Kong sped up projects, a liberated Buenos Aires fixed my Amenity problem, and Rapa Nui gave me a lot of culture in two Moai + farm cities. By the end of the game I had suzerainity of every citystate left on the map, which skyrocketed science and culture with the appropriate policies.

My military through the entire game was 3 melee, 3 ranged (one died in Mongolia), 1 heavy cavalry (had two, but one died to barbs before reaching my army), and 1 melee ship. The melee reached Musketmen, the ranged reached field cannons (and the surviving two were upgraded to corps for inspiration), the cavalry reached knights, and the ship reached ironclad. I had unlocked the techs for upgrading all of them, but I was saving gold for builders, and my troops were sufficient for the primitive AI.

A nice surprise was Germany’s industrial capability, I had hard built space ports in 9 cities, eventually blasting me off to space at 27 light years/turn (Probably overkill).
An unpleasant surprise was the whole of Mongolia. I conquered Vilnius-Armagh-Preslav-China-Mapuche, and that left my army in Mapuche lands when I unlocked Cartography. Caravan exploration reached Mongolia first, so that was my first target. Their cities were weak so it should be a breeze with veteran Musketmen and Crossbowmen.
The turn after I declared war, they built a knight, and city defense went up. Their +6 combat strength (printing not trade) caused me a lot of damage in the landings, which slowed me down considerably while healing. Crossbowmen kept appearing, shooting my troops before dying. This slowed me down further. An emergency was called on me, and Mali troops came in and harassed my troops even more. Every thing was made worse with the thick jungle terrain.
After struggling through Mongolia to Pasadgadae, I used up 5 turns resting. Bakhtri, the source of an emergency again Mongolia, was right next to me, but the army was too damaged to proceed.
After the rest, I was able to sweep though the most of the second continent without much trouble, finishing the game right before destruction of Hungary. But I probably would have finished the second continent off if I had just started at England instead of Mongolia :/

I really enjoyed this game, Germany is fun to play, and it ended up being my best SV yet.

Top Bottom