(8-40) 4UC Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineappledan

Deity
This is a thread for discussing the addition of 2 more unique components to the Spanish civilization.

Unlike other threads, Spain is due to go through a rework, so I cannot post a preview of the new base VP kit
Spoiler 4UC components as they appear in-game :

1717645313284.png

Spoiler Description of 4UC components :

UM - Armada (replaces Corvette):
available at Navigation
410 :c5production: Production Cost (+60 more)
42 :c5strength: CS (+2 more)
4 :c5moves: Movement​
"Santa Maria" (Earn :c5capital: Great Admiral Points from kills)​
"Invincible" (+6 :c5strength: CP at full Health. and -1:c5moves:Movement)​
"Boarding Party I"

UB - Bullring (replaces Zoo):
available at Scientific Theory
Does not require a Circus in the City
1000 :c5production: Production Cost
4:c5gold: Gold maintenance
+4:c5faith:, 4:tourism:, 4:c5culture:
+2 :c5culture: 2:tourism: to Pastures, Forests, and Jungles
100:c5faith:Faith, :c5gold: Gold, and :c5culture: Culture when a 'WLTKD' starts, scaling with Era.
City enters a :c5happy: 'WLTKD' whenever it completes a Public Works Project
-1 :c5unhappy:Unhappiness from Boredom​
500 :c5science: Science when completed​
Whenever a :trade:International Trade Route is completed, Receive a :tourism: Tourism boost with the target civilization​

Last edited:
Corvettes are base 4 moves.

If an WLTKD is extended does that count for the bullring? Makes Spain actually want a ton of GMerchants, as every merchant hit will give you tons of culture and gold. It might even be more than a great writer if your wide enough. Might even be worth just hoarding all of your GMs throughout the game until the bullrings are set up, and then spam each of them for lots of yields.

Its an interesting mechanic. I feel like the public works overlap might be too much, not from a balance standpoint, but I am already so heavily incentivized to get WLTKD with this civ now that I don't know if it needs the PW thing too. Feels like that could go to another civ.

The Armada seems fine. The +6 CS is not going to be as good as it might look at first glance, ships just get beat up all the time and its hard to heal them. I think the BPI is actually the stronger benefit long term.

Overall grade: A-
Spain’s components are almost solely based on the most immediately recognizable Spanish cultural artifacts that would be recognizable to a non-spanish audience. The themes are strong and they have the unique mechanical tools to match.

Armada
Theme - B.
Technically not a type of boat, but rather the term for a fleet. Most famously tied to the failed invasion of England in 1588. Perhaps a bit ignominious for a unique unit, but definitely popular and recognizable. This also gives Spain a boat at the height of their power, and combines with their ability to faith purchase naval units.
Mechanics - A. Has extra CS when at full hp. This can make alpha strikes with an Armada very powerful, but also makes them highly susceptible to ranged attacks, which can steal their thunder. They also get free boarding party and GAdmirals on kills. This emphasizes Spain’s naval doctrine which emphasized boarding actions in contrast to the English who favoured smaller boats and gunnery. Ultimately it was the latter that carried the day, and marked a shift in military tactics as cannons continued to improve.
Uniqueness - A. The mechanics of the unit not only encourage you to play like the Spanish, but also make the enemy play like the English. Spain wants to adopt an overwhelming force to capitalize on your alpha strike advantage and the enemy wants to kit your ships, at least initially. The unit synergizes with the UA, and has excellent thematic and roleplaying bonuses.

Bullring
Theme - S.
What could be more Spanish than bullfighting? What could be more emblematic of Spanish culture, dating to from pre-roman Iberian Celts all the way up the the modern day? There is no doubt in my mind that this had to be Spain’s 2nd civilian component.
Mechanics - B. The WLTKD bonuses are mismatched to the theme, in my opinion. However, I wanted this UB to be more than some yields on pastures. The public works project ability gives Spain something to do with the building, and the WLTKD instant yields give Spain players altered incentives. That is something any good UB should bring to the table.
Uniqueness – A. Nothing else augments public works in the game. There are also no Zoos. This UB has a ton of unique qualities.

I'll admit, I really want to try out this one, and just see how cool it is to save up all of Great Merchants and then just power WLTKD in the midgame. Sounds strong but I'm also saving my GPs for a long time, so is it worth it?

probably yes. depends on how early you get them though

how much gold does a merchant give if you use it at the start of medieval?

New Building_YieldFromWLTKD table:
BuildingType, YieldType, Yield, IsEraScaling

New column in Buildings:
WLTKDFromProject (varchar - ProjectType)

Unlikely any other project will be used for this, but it's better than hardcoding Public Works.

Timestamp post to arrange all the threads in a neat order.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom