[DLL] (8-NS) Ottomans UA change, old UA as UB feature, Bombard's Volley promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipiskus

Warlord
UA: Devshirme
+50% :c5production: Land unit production in Conquered Cities, and gain 25% of the :c5production:production cost of newly-trained units as :c5science: Science.
Melee and Siege units gain 10HP on kills and ignore 50% of all tile defense bonuses.

Unique promotion that gives HP and tile ignoring called Kapikulu
For example of the tile bonus:
- Forts only give a functional +25% defense vs Ottoman units
- Citadels only give +50% defense
- Forest only gives +12% defense

UB1: Bedesten (Caravansary) instead of Siege Foundry
200 :c5production:
unlocked at Currency
+1:c5gold:, +1:c5science:, +1 :c5culture:, 1:c5food:
When a Land Trade Route originating here and targeting another Civ is completed, receive a :tourism:Tourism boost with the Civ based on your recent Culture output.
Land Trade Routes gain +50% Range and +3:c5gold: Gold
+1 :c5food: / :c5gold: for every 2 desert, or tundra tile worked by city.
Truffles +2 :c5gold:
Cotton +1 :c5production:/ :c5culture:
Furs +1:c5gold: / :c5production:
Gain 100 :c5gold: and :c5science: on the completion of internal Trade Routes and 100 :c5food: and :c5culture: on the completion of external trade routes, scaling with era

UU2: Great bombard - Gains free Volley promotion

Rationale
I agree with Hinin that the Siege Foundry's historical context overlaps with the Great Bombard, and ultimately does not do as good of a job portraying that aspect of Ottoman history.
However, losing the :c5science: on unit production would be a massive blow to Ottoman's early game, and hurts the unique economic incentives this leads to.
Without the Foundry and its early bonuses, the Ottomans have a slow, naked start. The instant yields from the current UA are too unreliable and spaced apart compared to the reliable unit production and science bonuses from the Foundry.

The solution I came up with is move the TR completion bonus to a UB, so it is moved off the start and behind the TR unlocks, then move the unit production bonuses to the UA. The production bonus in annexed cities is a reference to the Devshirme system which supplied Christian slave boys to be pressed into the imperial military and bureaucracy.

The Kapikulu promotion is an additional combat bonus to add character and emphasis to the centralization of the imperial system, something that Hinin's proposal also attempts to do. The hp on kill is moved from Japan's Bushido promotions (which Hinin are both hoping can be dropped). The anti-fortification bonus is a reference to the Ottomans' impressive siege capabilities that extended well beyond their capture of Constantinople. Unfortunately it would be new code.

The UNW that Hinin proposed, while interesting, is just too weird. I also don't think it will work the way he wants it to, because the kit he has designed demands you conquer an enemy capital in time for early Renaissance, before any of your UUs unlock. Instead, the most reliable way to build the UNW is to kill a city-state early and then pump it with ITRs until you can groom it into your new capital.

No Morocco changes. I don't think they need to be pulled into this.

Last edited:
+50% :c5production:Unit production in Annexed Cities and gain 25% of the :c5production:production cost of newly-trained units as :c5science: Science.
This is the core of the UA for me. non-core cities, ones that by definition have been set back by building and population loss become much more efficient at building units. The old effect from the siege foundry, when put onto the UA is recontextualized to depict the conscription of non-muslim boys into the palace guard ( :c5production:% unit bonus) and imperial bureaucracy ( :c5science: bonus). This also reinforces how the Ottomans were very quick to adopt new military technologies in their heyday, like cannons, muskets, and improvements in logistics and siegecraft.

I think the bonus should just be changed to be just for land units, so that it doesn't stack with the Tersane though. Cities with Tersane will likely be in your core, and can focus on naval unit production while conquered satellite cities get the UA production bonus and focus on land units.

One thing I was thinking about is maybe this UA could be broadened to all Conquered cities, also allow Ottoman puppets to train units:

Ottoman AI change:
  • Instead of having a :c5gold: focus, Puppet city governors build the best melee/gun unit with no SR cost available
  • Governor will switch back to normal puppet AI if there is no available :c5war:war supply.
With the UA's :c5science: bonus, this is roughly equivalent to running a Research process in your puppet cities, but you also get units out of it. This is probably the most sensible use of the Puppet's hammers given the UA bonuses. These can be gifted to city-states or deleted if you have too many.

MAGI: @Pipiskus it is against the rules to have an optional component. Please either remove it or add it fully. You have one day :D

MAGI:
This part of the trait
+50% :c5production: Land unit production in Conquered Cities, and gain 25% of the :c5production:production cost of newly-trained units as :c5science: Science.
needs support as far as I can see.

We also need a UnitPromotions column that does
ignore 50% of all tile defense bonuses.

This building effect
Gain 100 :c5gold: and :c5science: on the completion of internal Trade Routes and 100 :c5food: and :c5culture: on the completion of external trade routes, scaling with era
needs support for external trade routes. Also note the internal ones apparently trigger for both sender and receiver so probably just keep that table but half these numbers there.

Then all DLL from base proposal

Also note the internal ones apparently trigger for both sender and receiver so probably just keep that table but half these numbers there.
That'll generate two notifications though.

That's how the tooltip is currently written. I don't know if it is correct (on Kabuki Theatre iirc)

The Kabuki TR effect is only "doubled" if both cities have the UB. If only one has the UB, then the effect won't work as intended in this proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom