A Babylon 5 Mod for the Final Frontier Mod

That makes sense strange how they worked before I changed them to a UU for each civ.

I'm away for most of this weekend but as monday is a bank holiday I'll be off work so I will try and get the merge completed for monday, however, I am also hoping to go see the Avengers on monday so don't expect the new version too soon.

You make your new unit based on planetary defence unit. it has combat limit 0 and it can only defend. Attack unit has combat limit 100 in old version too.

Avengers was pretty good:)

I'm quite intersted to try this, being an old fan of Babylon 5. It's hard to find anything, with no offical games I'm aware of. And precious little fan made content like this FF Bab5 mod. Will probably wait for the update that's about to come out. Question though, do I need Final Frontier. Or Final Frontier Plus since the latest of that is what's being merged into the B5 mod? Both? :)

Oh, I'd love to help though know little of anything about modding. Maybe this could be useful however. Have some downloaded race art files for both the Shadows, and the Interstellar Alliance. Which was used for adding them to Space Empires 5. The zips contain flags, few race portraits. Ship portraits of various classes from fighter all the way to starbases and space mines. IA is spread amongst the races, so one race might fill fighter, another cruiser. But the Shadow content is pure. With a Shadow desighn for every catagory.

Also there are palletes of textures? The ship images themselves, are jpg files. No ideal how the game turned all this stuff into the working models in game. But you all probably know far more about such a thing, and I hope it might help. Maybe even get my favorite race into the game a little sooner. Shadows of course. =D

^.o It won't upload, tells me I don't have a security token? Tried loading to Medifire to attach by link. However it's rejecting that.. says it's invalid, when I'm sitting here looking at the link page. I'll list manually. You can check, or if someone will let me know what's going on with the attach option on the forum, as medifire I believe clears it's storage from time to time.

IA: http://www.mediafire.com/?zxdy8ldfv0vh5h3

Shadows: http://www.mediafire.com/?rgw307cbs9zc6b9

I'm quite intersted to try this, being an old fan of Babylon 5. It's hard to find anything, with no offical games I'm aware of. And precious little fan made content like this FF Bab5 mod. Will probably wait for the update that's about to come out. Question though, do I need Final Frontier. Or Final Frontier Plus since the latest of that is what's being merged into the B5 mod? Both? :)

Oh, I'd love to help though know little of anything about modding. Maybe this could be useful however. Have some downloaded race art files for both the Shadows, and the Interstellar Alliance. Which was used for adding them to Space Empires 5. The zips contain flags, few race portraits. Ship portraits of various classes from fighter all the way to starbases and space mines. IA is spread amongst the races, so one race might fill fighter, another cruiser. But the Shadow content is pure. With a Shadow desighn for every catagory.

Also there are palletes of textures? The ship images themselves, are jpg files. No ideal how the game turned all this stuff into the working models in game. But you all probably know far more about such a thing, and I hope it might help. Maybe even get my favorite race into the game a little sooner. Shadows of course. =D

^.o It won't upload, tells me I don't have a security token? Tried loading to Medifire to attach by link. However it's rejecting that.. says it's invalid, when I'm sitting here looking at the link page. I'll list manually. You can check, or if someone will let me know what's going on with the attach option on the forum, as medifire I believe clears it's storage from time to time.

IA: http://www.mediafire.com/?zxdy8ldfv0vh5h3

Shadows: http://www.mediafire.com/?rgw307cbs9zc6b9

Many thanks for this information. I hope Premier has had better luck downloading it all than I have. I got the IA files but due to a problem either with the host site or my IE I have been unable to DL the Shadows file. No it's not an excuse just so we don't have to use them. As has been mentioned in previous threads we are trying to avoid adding the Shadows or the Vorlons until we have all the other races sorted out. Even then it may only be as a scenario rather than as a playable race/civ. They have hideously powerful ships compared to the younger races and it would make for a pretty one sided game.

You do need to have Final Frontier installed to play this Mod, having Final Frontier Plus couldn't hurt.

I have made some progress on a new version but due to one or two small problems that I need to resolve I am unable to upload a new version just yet.

You make your new unit based on planetary defence unit. it has combat limit 0 and it can only defend. Attack unit has combat limit 100 in old version too.

Avengers was pretty good:)

Finally had a chance to get a little more testing done on the fix and unfortunately it didn't work. If you look at the attached Screen shot you'll see a Dilgar Shock Troop standing on the League Homeworld and it hasn't captured it.

I guess I may have to upload the mod with these few 'issues' unresolved just so there is a new version for people to play with though it goes against what I had intended this time around.

Ups, sorry.. I see that i forgot to mention something. Combat limit was not the only cause of this.

You have to also change the unit visibility lines. Unit is invisble and therefore it can not capture city/planet.

So change this <Invisible>INVISIBLE_SUBMARINE</Invisible> to this <Invisible>NONE</Invisible> and that should do it.

I think this is the reason why there was two planetside unit categories. If you want invisible planetside defence unit then you have to keep it like it was. The idea in two gategories is that you need attack unit close to planet before you can see are there defence units.

Its kind of realistic, you have to go on the ground before you see the defencers. Maybe you should keep it like it was?

Or you could use your new unique units but have to make two each of them, attack (visible) and defence (invisble)..

Many thanks for this information. I hope Premier has had better luck downloading it all than I have. I got the IA files but due to a problem either with the host site or my IE I have been unable to DL the Shadows file. No it's not an excuse just so we don't have to use them. As has been mentioned in previous threads we are trying to avoid adding the Shadows or the Vorlons until we have all the other races sorted out. Even then it may only be as a scenario rather than as a playable race/civ. They have hideously powerful ships compared to the younger races and it would make for a pretty one sided game.

You do need to have Final Frontier installed to play this Mod, having Final Frontier Plus couldn't hurt.

I have made some progress on a new version but due to one or two small problems that I need to resolve I am unable to upload a new version just yet.

That's fine. I'd anticipated they were coming late in development cycle. What with so many things still on the table. :) Though I might be able to help think of some way to make them more practical.. perhaps it's best not to use them as full on races in the open warfare.

Even in the series, neither race was ready to act for some time. If we keep it like that through the setting of a FFB5 game. Structure them more as manipulative political entities only able to field a very small number of ships for 'shows of force' type of situations. Such as demonstrations Mordin provided for Lando. Setting the big toys like Shadow battle spiders/crabs as national units would probably suffice. As well as diplomatic standing bonus to chaos alighned factions?

It would provide an option for players who enjoy sitting behind the scenes, trying to get other civilizations to do their bidding. In the meantime, my second favorite race. And it's a close second, the Narn. Are already in. So I'll have plenty to do for now. :goodjob: It's time to put paid to those Centauri and their maniacal bloodthirsty emperors. :p

Hmm... still having problems uploading to the site here. It finially did take the shadow file. IA one gave me the same security token error.. starting to wonder if it's trying to upload more than one per post causing this.

Attachments

• shadows.rar
    5.2 MB · Views: 51
Ups, sorry.. I see that i forgot to mention something. Combat limit was not the only cause of this.

You have to also change the unit visibility lines. Unit is invisble and therefore it can not capture city/planet.

So change this <Invisible>INVISIBLE_SUBMARINE</Invisible> to this <Invisible>NONE</Invisible> and that should do it.

I think this is the reason why there was two planetside unit categories. If you want invisible planetside defence unit then you have to keep it like it was. The idea in two gategories is that you need attack unit close to planet before you can see are there defence units.

Its kind of realistic, you have to go on the ground before you see the defencers. Maybe you should keep it like it was?

Or you could use your new unique units but have to make two each of them, attack (visible) and defence (invisble)..

I think I realised this last night just after I got into bed. It was too late to do anything about it then so I'll be looking into this today.

Hmm... still having problems uploading to the site here. It finially did take the shadow file. IA one gave me the same security token error.. starting to wonder if it's trying to upload more than one per post causing this.

I have the file now, thanks again.

are you going to upload new version today..? Sorry pressure;)

Eeerm No!

But! There is a little good news, planetside combat troops are now capturing planets and enslaving the inhabitants, or committing genocide depending on your race of choice.

I have a few other things that need to be tweeked but as soon as this is done i'm pretty sure I'll be uploading a new version.

Damn, I was prepared to start new game tonight if you upload:mad:
please please hurry up! :)

Did you chose to keep the new planetside units visible? If you want to make them invisible as planned i may have an solution.

Make the transport ships see submarine invisible unit and make it the only unit class that can capture planet. That way planetside units can kill defenders but real invasion to capture planet needs transportship. Its kind of make sense, invasion demands heavy war machines and to get those on planet you have to land on there. Right?;)

I always hated those infantries standing on stars, this way they can only be seen when attacking on planet:)

Did you chose to keep the new planetside units visible? If you want to make them invisible as planned i may have an solution.

Make the transport ships see submarine invisible unit and make it the only unit class that can capture planet. That way planetside units can kill defenders but real invasion to capture planet needs transportship. Its kind of make sense, invasion demands heavy war machines and to get those on planet you have to land on there. Right?

I always hated those infantries standing on stars, this way they can only be seen when attacking on planet
Nice suggestion, I'll consider it whilst I'm doing the other tweeks I need to do.

Cool:)
f you choose to go for it give planetside units huge bonus against transport. That way planet invasion is possible only with planetside troops or heavy price. Its risky business to land on hostile planet so its realistic also.

I have been reading this thread a bit and was wondering are you still trying to implement jump points? Seems that premier have it all done but lacking of movement points (ability to paradrop) after building jump gate makes him/you to leave jump points out?

Why not make building of jump point take one turn instead zero? Ships could jump next turn when gate is ready.. you can move for example 2/3 movement points and then build a jump point which will be ready for jump in next turn. Would be better than no jump points in game at all:)

If you choose to go for it give planetside units huge bonus against transport. That way planet invasion is possible only with planetside troops or heavy price. Its risky business to land on hostile planet so its realistic also.
I'm still considering what I want to do with this, hopefully once I have the next version ready I'll have made my mind up on the approach I will be taking to this.

I have been reading this thread a bit and was wondering are you still trying to implement jump points? Seems that premier have it all done but lacking of movement points (ability to paradrop) after building jump gate makes him/you to leave jump points out?

Why not make building of jump point take one turn instead zero? Ships could jump next turn when gate is ready.. you can move for example 2/3 movement points and then build a jump point which will be ready for jump in next turn. Would be better than no jump points in game at all:)

I'll let Premier respond to this bit as he was the man that developed the code we originally had.

Hello everyone!,

I've been quite busy lately, so unfortunately I haven't been able to work on this or new ships.

@rtt4a
Your idea is good, however it presents some complications. In the current jump point code, things are meant to be kept simple, hence less error prone.
Building the jump point improvement is quite easy (either by taking a turn or immediate), a jumping on the next turn is also easy.
The problem lies in the jump point removal (closing); currently code is in place in a python method (just think of it as an event) that gets called at turn start, the whole map is scanned and wherever a jump point is found it is removed.
It is possible to do as you say, however it requires further coding and complexity (if it was in a programming language I dominate it would be easier :p ) and this increases the chances of errors.
Alas!, I believe your proposal is the way to go, so I'll start working on this (I already have some Ideas ;))

@Justicar333
I got the files, some of them will be quite usefull :D
:salute:

Good evening all
I've finally uploaded the latest version of the Mod and it can be found here Version 2.8

I am looking for some specific feedback with this version. I'd like to know which Civ's you feel have Traits that are too powerful or too weak and need to be adjusted.

Any issues please let me know but most of all, enjoy the mod.

Okay, several observations spring to mind. First off, it's going to be a slow start. Marathon game, looks like around 100+ turns of research to get any kind of ship. As my first frigate takes two techs in addition to my starting one as Narn. Is that intended? Secondly, why does the O.D.S. come with a free armour I promotion? It reads as space defense bonus, but wouldn't it need city defense instead? As the O.D.S. can't leave orbit to enter space.

May be missing some obvious things. Someone somehow founded chaos in less than 25 turns. Some races start out in different states perhaps? Some in space, others not? That could be cool so long as it's not unbalanced, and in fact. It might be intersting. To start as Narn who aren't space faring while the Centauri/Mimbari are already making ventures into the universe. Not too worried, as can already build defense satalites. So long as the gap doesn't prove too huge. :)

Turn 168, First Then tus launched, reached my border. Promptly refused to leave Narn space? Then it crashed while I kept tabbing in and out to figure out how to spell Then tus. :lol: Will try to figure out what's going on. Perhaps it's that jump system I've hear some talking about? Curious to see. However, starting to worry about economy problems. If these things can't fly away, and I've already bottomed the income out on defense satalites. Not a lot to do but build, scrap, repeat Untill reaching a tech that allows sinking hammers into credits and/or beakers.

Turn 168, First Then tus launched, reached my border. Promptly refused to leave Narn space? Then it crashed while I kept tabbing in and out to figure out how to spell Then tus. Will try to figure out what's going on. Perhaps it's that jump system I've hear some talking about? Curious to see. However, starting to worry about economy problems. If these things can't fly away, and I've already bottomed the income out on defense satalites. Not a lot to do but build, scrap, repeat Untill reaching a tech that allows sinking hammers into credits and/or beakers.
I've added a little code to Python which prevents Ships leaving the borders of your empire until you have researched Space Exploration (technically I should change this to Deep Space Exploration) There should always be plenty of things to build on the planets of your home star system. By the time you have constructed everything you can build on the first 2 or 3 planets of your home system your borders should have popped opening up a new planet or two to build on.
May be missing some obvious things. Someone somehow founded chaos in less than 25 turns. Some races start out in different states perhaps? Some in space, others not? That could be cool so long as it's not unbalanced, and in fact. It might be intersting. To start as Narn who aren't space faring while the Centauri/Mimbari are already making ventures into the universe.
One of the techs that gives a 'Value' is a starting tech, I keep meaning to change it and move it a little further up the tree so everyone has a fair chance at getting it. Another little thing I need to do.

Thanks for the feedback though, it's all useful.

I don't know about moving it any further up the tree. Currently just over 200 turns in. Put space exploration into the research que. With everything it still requires, right now will require around 400 more turns to research this. That's just a little long to get into space, with a space game. :crazyeye:

Although, see a possible alternative, wondering if this is as intended also? Rather than try to beeline space exploration, a player could go the route of building space stations? Vastly less tech requirment, and they should in theory let a player slowly expand via deep space gas stations? Got two systems observable from Narn now, and I don't exactly want to wait another 400 turns to go visit them. ;) Granted that would shrink some as population continues to increase, but it's still a very big starting chunck of a timed game.

I don't know about moving it any further up the tree. Currently just over 200 turns in. Put space exploration into the research que. With everything it still requires, right now will require around 400 more turns to research this. That's just a little long to get into space, with a space game. :crazyeye:

Although, see a possible alternative, wondering if this is as intended also? Rather than try to beeline space exploration, a player could go the route of building space stations? Vastly less tech requirment, and they should in theory let a player slowly expand via deep space gas stations? Got two systems observable from Narn now, and I don't exactly want to wait another 400 turns to go visit them. ;) Granted that would shrink some as population continues to increase, but it's still a very big starting chunck of a timed game.
All my playtesting was with either the Dilgar or the Narn with G'Kar (not citizen G'Kar or Na'Far) and most of that was on the quick gamespeed.

One trick I've found is that on the first turn instead of building on the planet with the capitol, select a different planet and build a Narn Circle there instead, even though there is no population on the new planet you still get a boost to your science which can cut down research times quite quickly. If your first tech is the Advanced Physics (gives University Building) you can get another boost to your science output quite quickly.

The idea of the restriction on movement is to limit early space exploration beyond your borders. Now that it is in and works the way I want it to I'll revise things a little so the scout is available earlier and it is not affected by the movement restriction. This will let you get out and grab the Space Wreckage for some early tech boosts.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Top Bottom