A CivIII Story! Very funny :)

FrosTi

Indépendantiste Québécois
Ok, I'm not a Civ3 player (I played Civ2 a lot) but since EU2 is better (for me) than Civ3 so I don't play Civ3 a lot... But now, before starting another campaign with EU2, I wanted to wait for the next patch (which is 1.05) so I started a Civ3 game...

Now I started as France (commercial and industrious seems good enough for me) and it was going great... I explored the surroundings built some cities, met some neighbours (the usual stuff),. I always seemed backward in technology... But I said to myself: "I'm backward now... But later I'll be first"... I wanted to get monarchy very fast so I could discover other techs faster than other (to catch up with them)... When I discovered it: Bingo! Revolution and the Kingdom of France was born! But... Some years later Germany sent me a diplomat and they threatened me to give them monarchy... But they had many techs in advance so I said "NO" (didnt wanted to be more backward than that), so they declared war upon me... Now I said to myself: "Oh well, they are behind the english so they can't come here, I'm safe"... But some years later, I see a little ship landing some warriors near one of my coastal cities now I said to myself: "Oh no! not warriors! muhahaha!" I had a phalanx in my city so I thought I was safe... They started to attack me... 1st warrior was killed but my phalanx lost 2 HP... So I said to myself: "Oh well, I wasn't lucky on that one... Now luck is on my side" The 2nd warrior attacked and... oops... I was wrong again! My phalanx died and Germany took my city... I was SO angry... I just left and uninstalled Civ3... At this time I remembered why I stopped to play Civ3: it's too much unrealistic ;)

My Civ3 Story :lol:

i feel your pain brother.

Monarch level
I was playing iroquois(sp?) and was pushed back on a tiny peninsula, with russia settler rushing - backing me up in the corner.

Russia was constantly making demands, infringing, and declaring war on me, so my research went all to luxuries and taxes so i could support an army in the frontier cities. and avoiding assimilation by rushing improvents. (monarchy)

So i decide to put all my science into the great library, and soon i start building it.

two turns away from completion, i get the message
"There have been reports of a massive barbarian uprising near Plains" (my city that is building the wonder)

I rush a spearman there, and now i have 3 veteran spearmen in a 8-pop city, with walls and barracks.

ONE turn before i'm done with the wonder, the barbarians attack.

1st: Kills my spearman
2nd: kills 2nd spearman
3rd: kills 3rd spearman
4th: razes wonder
5th: loots 25% gold
6th: loots some gold
seventh barbarian didn't do anything, because i had already reset my computer, and put my fist through the floor.

Originally posted by FrosTi
lucky on that one... Now luck is on my side" The 2nd warrior attacked and... oops... I was wrong again! My phalanx died and Germany took my city... I was SO angry... I just left and uninstalled Civ3... At this time I remembered why I stopped to play Civ3: it's too much unrealistic ;)

My Civ3 Story :lol:

Unrealistic? Two guys with clubs kill one guy with a spear... Seems plausable to me.
I think the word you were looking for is unfortunate.

This is not unrealistic.

You just didnt defender your city enough.

For first attack, it was badluck. The warrior have 12.6 % chance of win.

Second got 61,1 % chance because you have only 1 hitpoint.

Cities on your border should have at least 2 defenders. You would have keep your city.

You should reinstall civ3 and practice. That's what you need.

Originally posted by Jaygatz

Unrealistic? Two guys with clubs kill one guy with a spear... Seems plausable to me.
I think the word you were looking for is unfortunate.

oh maybe you're right... i'm french i don't always find all the words I want in english :)

But there's something that was in Civ2 that is not in Civ3... It's not fun! What Sid did to make the game so bad :( I remember playing Civ2 hours of time and always wanted to play more! Now Civ3 I play a game and get disappointed each time :(

oh maybe you're right... i'm french i don't always find all the words I want in english :)

But there's something that was in Civ2 that is not in Civ3... It's not fun! What Sid did to make the game so bad :( I remember playing Civ2 hours of time and always wanted to play more! Now Civ3 I play a game and get disappointed each time :(

Do you play in the same style that you were playing in civ2. If so, you must change your mind.

Maybe you should visit the strategy and tips forum.

Did you download the patch v1.21? It more fun play with it.

Lâche pas la patate, mon mec, lâche pas la patate. ;)

No, no. Hear me out here. What you suffer from is post-Civilization 2 traumatic stress.

You are trying to play Civ3 as it was Civ2. Remember this is a NEW game, NEW rules. The only similarity is that they have the same concept and similarly named units.

I was frustrated like hell in the beginning of Civ3, but once i understood the quirks of the game, i derived immense pleasure from beating the crap out of the "cheating" AI :)

Originally posted by sealman
if I deleated every game after an unfortunate occurance, I would not have anything to play and have to help the wife with the housework.
:suicide:

Now the true value of Civ3 is clear!
Yeah, honey, I'll wash the dishes, right after I defeat the evil Romans... You know how you're always saying I need more goals in life... :)

Oh well... I shall look in the strategy section then ;)

There's something I really don't understand well... Why sometimes cities just "defect" to another countries? Is there a way to know if they are going to defect? But it's strange:

Advisor: My king, the citizens or Orléans joined Aztec Empire cuz they have more culture.

King: What? Culture? What's that?

Advisor: They are more cool than us

King: But Aztec Empire are pagan! We can't accept this advisor! God shall help us in our crusade!

(Some years later)

Advisor: Sir we took back Orléans and 4 other Aztec cities! They paid now for their paganism!

King: Very good, pursue our quest advisor! They shall be eliminated!

(Some years later)

Advisor: Sir, we just learned that our garrisons in our Aztec cities all defected to Aztec Empire with Orléans again! They must be very very cool! They all wear cool glasses and have brushed hairs!

King: Wow... We absolutely need those glasses :scan:

There's something I really don't understand well... Why sometimes cities just "defect" to another countries?

If you build something (library, or temple) and look at the "zoom to city" screen. you will see little "notes" next to the buildings (i'm not talking about the arieal view, but the city management screen)

Each note represents how much "culture" that city has.

Make sure to build lots of buildings that have culture (notes) value in cities that are neighboring to other empires.

Library, Temple, Colloseum, Research lab, Cathedral are examples

Originally posted by LaRo

Do you play in the same style that you were playing in civ2. If so, you must change your mind.

Maybe you should visit the strategy and tips forum.

Did you download the patch v1.21? It more fun play with it.

Lâche pas la patate, mon mec, lâche pas la patate. ;)
Agree with all of this, you also might try playing one game at the lowest difficulty setting, to get used to all the changes.
Then see if you still hate the game and wish to expunge it from the Earth. :ripper: :rocket2: :viking:
Or well... at least from your hard drive...

There's something I really don't understand well... Why sometimes cities just "defect" to another countries? Is there a way to know if they are going to defect? But it's strange:

I bought Civ3 thw week it came out, and have been playing it ever since. In all that time, ive only lost a city by culture ONCE. Once. Ive never understood the trouble people have, but i guess its cuz i play peacefully until tanks. Then i start pressing.

Temples and libraries are a PRIORITY after having at least FOUR defenders.

THREE times in the same game I came within TWO turns of a Great Wonder (including the Great Library) - but then another civ built it. I had no way of transferring to another Wonder, in part because none were available.

Many hundreds of shields were lost.

What is "unrealistic" is that those shields cannot be even partly capitalized into wealth.

I agree with you Zouave, it is unfortunate that the shields cannot be converted into capital.

Originally posted by Zouave
What is "unrealistic" is that those shields cannot be even partly capitalized into wealth.

No more unrealistic than looking at your nearly completed pyramids and saying, "Square it off and call it a Great Library."

If you think that's bad, how about a 50-70 infantry stack coming right at you.

Yeah, that's what happening in my Japanese SG and then the gamefile goes bad.... :mad:

Has anyone noticed how when you have a battle go horribly wrong and you reload the game to a turn or so before the battle the battle follows <b>exactly</b> the same?! I've seen this many times where I'd reload the game multiple times and the same battle with multiple units would play out precisely the same. If I change to another battle first it seems to play out the same but in that location. It's like the AI has planned that your next two battles will fail but the 3rd will suceed while he 4th will stalemate irregardless of where the battle is or which units are involved. Anyone else notice this?

Originally posted by davwhitt
Has anyone noticed how when you have a battle go horribly wrong and you reload the game to a turn or so before the battle the battle follows <b>exactly</b> the same?! I've seen this many times where I'd reload the game multiple times and the same battle with multiple units would play out precisely the same. If I change to another battle first it seems to play out the same but in that location. It's like the AI has planned that your next two battles will fail but the 3rd will suceed while he 4th will stalemate irregardless of where the battle is or which units are involved. Anyone else notice this?

This is the random seed. I think the new patch allow you to broke it when you reload. You must make the change in the famous editor.

Top Bottom