A Few Questions:

Chaotic Paladin

Chieftain
Hi all, I had a few questions regarding the game and I was wondering if someone might be able to answer them? Thanks!

1. In the game certain economic buildings list % increases to gold creation. For example the market has a 1% gold increase due to beads (I think?). Is this bonus multiplicative? So if I have 10 beads do all markets get a 10% increase in gold?

2. Does having more health (red cross in white bubble) or sickness (green unhappy face) effect the rate of disease in my settlement or are these separate features?

3. How does the investigate crime feature work? I have no idea what it does.

4. The turn times do inevitably increase later in the game even with modest settings. Someone on this forum suggested I unpark my cores (a function that basically disables the cores from ever going idle). I am skeptical about this because I think that even if the cores don't idle doesn't Civ 4 only ever use one core? Has anyone unparked their CPU cores and did you find it made a difference?

5. Are there hidden things that effect inflation? I made it to the Medieval Era with no inflationary civics active and never rushed/whipped to finish anything but I still had 17% inflation?

6. Is there a cap on inflation? I am worried it will increase forever while my ability to create more gold will eventually taper off as I move further down the tech tree.

7. Is there an official Discord server for C2C? If not would someone consider making one? It'd be a great place to share feedback, ask quick questions, talk about SVN commits, squash bugs and just generally hang out even if only a couple of people use it. A lot of other games and mods have these.

1. Existence of resource is binary value - if it exist, you get gold bonus in your example, if it isn't present - you don't get it.
More resources just means, that you can trade with others - there is so many map resources, that in normal game you won't have all map resources in your territory, unless you have significant amount of land under your control.

2. These are separate values, but having high values of crime, disease or pollution will add to unhealthiness.

4. Unparking cores probably would help you only if there were other programs with high CPU usage, otherwise it won't do anything.

5. It slowly rises trough entire game, but there is no such thing as gold shortage unless you overexpand, don't control properties, build massive army, or don't build enough +gold buildings.

6. Even with increasing inflation you will have enough gold, if you manage your empire carefully.

1. Existence of resource is binary value - if it exist, you get gold bonus in your example, if it isn't present - you don't get it.
More resources just means, that you can trade with others - there is so many map resources, that in normal game you won't have all map resources in your territory, unless you have significant amount of land under your control.

2. These are separate values, but having high values of crime, disease or pollution will add to unhealthiness.

4. Unparking cores probably would help you only if there were other programs with high CPU usage, otherwise it won't do anything.

5. It slowly rises trough entire game, but there is no such thing as gold shortage unless you overexpand, don't control properties, build massive army, or don't build enough +gold buildings.

6. Even with increasing inflation you will have enough gold, if you manage your empire carefully.

Oh in that case wouldn't it make more sense to have the % increase in gold changed to a flat increase in gold? For example market with beads produces +1 gold not +1% gold? +1% of 2 gold (or however much the market is) is not very much, unless the 1% applies to all the gold the settlement is generating? The system is a little confusing.

Also with inflation I think that the way it currently works could be refined then. In real life inflation is alright because an economy can always grow. In the game an economy can only grow until all the techs have been researched and all the buildings built (it's finite) but inflation is infinite. It would make more sense to have inflation perhaps steal a portion of your saved treasury every turn representing the fact that stored wealth is becoming less valuable?

That or at the very least perhaps inflation could be capped per era? Like 5% Ancient... 10% Classical... 20% Medieval... Etc.

Oh in that case wouldn't it make more sense to have the % increase in gold changed to a flat increase in gold? For example market with beads produces +1 gold not +1% gold? +1% of 2 gold (or however much the market is) is not very much, unless the 1% applies to all the gold the settlement is generating? The system is a little confusing.

Also with inflation I think that the way it currently works could be refined then. In real life inflation is alright because an economy can always grow. In the game an economy can only grow until all the techs have been researched and all the buildings built (it's finite) but inflation is infinite. It would make more sense to have inflation perhaps steal a portion of your saved treasury every turn representing the fact that stored wealth is becoming less valuable?

That or at the very least perhaps inflation could be capped per era? Like 5% Ancient... 10% Classical... 20% Medieval... Etc.
All % modifiers add to each other and increase base by total percentage.
Example:
100 gold income per turn in city.
+10% from trait, +4% from bonuses, +20% from buildings, +10% from civics and -10% from property pseudobuildings.
100*(1 + 0.1 + 0.04 + 0.2 + 0.1 - 0.1) = 100*1.34 = 134 gold.

As for inflation it is % modifier of your expenses.
Basically it isn't per turn inflation (yearly inflation in real life for example), but total price increase.

Thanks for the answers. One other question: when a building goes 'obsolete' due to tech or changing civics does it still take gold maintenance per turn in my settlements? Do I need to manually demolish obsolete buildings?

Thanks for the answers. One other question: when a building goes 'obsolete' due to tech or changing civics does it still take gold maintenance per turn in my settlements? Do I need to manually demolish obsolete buildings?
It shouldn't cost any maintenance.

Someone started a discord page on this a while back... I'll have to go find it again. Nothing but the forum seems to prove to hold up though. We're all pretty active here and some days it almost gets to be a real time chat system the way we run it here.

Top Bottom