A Game of Thrones

I made some (minor) updates as version 1.1 based on your very helpful suggestions:

- Removed space race
- Removed debug mode
- Fixed the civilopedia folder name error
- Gave the 'map making' tech to the Stormlands and the Ironborn (so that they can produce ships from the off)

I am looking into giving them starting ship units, but the unit does not appear in the editor's starting unit list even after I changed their starting techs (because it's not a ground unit, as I understand things). Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

Just put them directly on map. (Set active player(on toolbar) -> Needed civ -> Select unit(on toolbar -> Needed unit -> Click on title)

Many thanks pal, I will get to work on it tonight and re-upload the files. In doing so I will also reset the techs for those civilizations back to their original settings.

Since they are getting a third unit, I may also provide an additional unit to the other civs.

Updated to V1.2:

- Reset the techs as per V1.1
- Added an additional starting unit to each civ, either a warrior, a galley or a pirate corsair (The Stormlands)

After playing for a while, I got an error that one of the swordsman sound files was missing, namely:

Art\Units\Swordsman\SwordmanFortify.wav

However, inspection of the mod folder shows that it is there. Can anyone help resolve this problem?

[EDIT] Fixed it, it seems 'Swordsman' (as opposed to 'Swordman') is needed throughout the defining file. Uploaded the corrected files now.

i got the same thing playing as Dorne

is there a way to turn off seeing everyones turn?

Yes, switch DEBUG mode off in the scenario file with the editor (I have done this in the download link). Then the turns move much much faster.

music ideas

into theme
drums pounding during the battle at blackwater bay
reins of cashmere
stannis' theme
there is also some great end credits music.

if you want i can make some mp3s off youtube if you want.

just let me know how long each clip would have to be.

Thanks pal, I must confess I haven't looked into how the game music works yet. Just give me a little time and I'll revert on this.

Dear friends

I have added music from the OST to the game and will be uploading it as an optional link in the original post. The files are large because of the WAVs, which are easier to get working than MP3s.

The track list follows:

a Main Title
b King of the North
c Rains of Castamere
d The Real North
e Oathbreaker
f Game of Thrones
g The Kingsroad
h To Vaes Dothrak
i Winter is Coming

I have also added an optional file to use as an alternative menu screen (with instructions in an accompanying text file).

Next, does anyone know how to change the menu music? I tried to replace the music file but could not load up the game as a result. From the forums I could not yet locate the solution to this particular problem.

Next, does anyone know how to change the menu music? I tried to replace the music file but could not load up the game as a result. From the forums I could not yet locate the solution to this particular problem.

Take the track you want to use for the menu music and convert it to an mp3 file with a bitrate of 128kbps and a sample rate of 44100 hz. Next go to the Conquests\sounds\Menu folder and backup the mp3 file "Menu1". Rename the replacement track as "Menu1" and copy it to the same folder. Note: this track will also play at the end during the victory screens.

The files are large because of the WAVs, which are easier to get working than MP3s.

Wav files won't work if you're using a music text file, they need to be mp3's with the same properties as above. I also forgot - you will need to delete any metadata tags on the tracks including the Menu1 file.

Take the track you want to use for the menu music and convert it to an mp3 file with a bitrate of 128kbps and a sample rate of 44100 hz. Next go to the Conquests\sounds\Menu folder and backup the mp3 file "Menu1". Rename the replacement track as "Menu1" and copy it to the same folder. Note: this track will also play at the end during the victory screens.

Wav files won't work if you're using a music text file, they need to be mp3's with the same properties as above. I also forgot - you will need to delete any metadata tags on the tracks including the Menu1 file.

Thanks! Originally I had been starting with the OST MP3 files and trying to convert their properties to the noted specifications via an editing program. This did not seem to work. However, when I first converted the original OST MP3 to WAV, and then used another program to convert back to MP3, it worked. I guess this was due to the (accidental on my part) deletion of the metadata tags that you were referring to :)

PS it seems that the WAV files do work with the music.txt file; I opened the game to check and it loaded with the music playing? To be certain I reloaded after deleting the first track in the music text file, and it then played from the second track.

However, when I first converted the original OST MP3 to WAV, and then used another program to convert back to MP3, it worked.

I don't know what the original quality of your mp3's are, but each time you convert back and forth like that you'll lose some of the audio quality.

PS it seems that the WAV files do work with the music.txt file; I opened the game to check and it loaded with the music playing? To be certain I reloaded after deleting the first track in the music text file, and it then played from the second track.

Interesting. I've never heard of wav files working for a Civ soundtrack. All the scenarios I've seen including my own with custom music all use mp3's. Plus mp3's are considerably smaller in size than wav's.

I started a game as Targaryen... but it will take a little getting used-to. The wait between turns is a little long, imo, with everyone already develped and fighting each other.

Still, good effort.

The game was slow because it was in formerly debug mode. Once that is switched off, the CPU's turns don't take long (and you don't see them played out).

Updated to V1.3 because I noted that some of the unique units from the original game were still included (to retain them for potential future use I assigned them all to obsolete civs).

Meanwhile I started a cracking game with the Greyjoys- I enjoyed the feeling of looking in from the outside on the War of Five Kings and, like a hyena, picking up some of the neglected spoils. I set up some small towns on the coasts of the north and foraged as far north as the Wall.

I signed treaties with the Riverlands against the Lannisters, the Crownlands and the Reach. The North defeated the Crownlands and were winning against the Lannisters, with me picking up the last Lannister city (on an island, naturally) to see them out of the game.

The North declared war on me because I failed to finance them, and started systematically conquering my lands. One city remains and is very stubbornly holding out against overwhelming odds.

Meanwhile my fleet ventured further south and came upon the lands of the Reach- but I discovered to my dismay that they had a unique defensive unit that was not supposed to be in the game, and hence the version update to remove such offenders :)

[EDIT] With the North and the Riverlands waging war on the Reach, I prudently decided to sue for peace with both. Surprisingly, this was accomplished by merely ceding my town beyond the wall to Robb Stark! Perhaps he valued having a vanguard beyond the wall to search for Ygritte :)

Next, I noted that the northerners preferred to burn the cities of the Reach to the ground rather than installing their own governments. Seeing this, I cunningly set to work creating settlers to re-build on the very same sites. Thus it was that while the Reach was devoured, the Greyjoys did prosper!

Planning ahead, I need to hold the peace with the northerners at all costs, as their army is mighty indeed. I will then turn my greedy eyes to the free cities and more easy plunder...

Yes- I've added mirror links for non-Google users :)

Also, I had not opened up some of the Google files for sharing, that is also done so that they can be downloaded via the links.

I didn't think it would work correctly, but sure enough the wav files seemed to work just fine when I started up the scenario! I did end up converting them to 128kbps mp3's though since they're only about a 1/10th the size (203mb vs 18mb) and didn't notice any sound difference.

Any reason why most of the map is hidden? I would think you'd want the entire map revealed from the beginning. Also, any plans to revamp the techs and add a spaceship victory?

I didn't think it would work correctly, but sure enough the wav files seemed to work just fine when I started up the scenario! I did end up converting them to 128kbps mp3's though since they're only about a 1/10th the size (203mb vs 18mb) and didn't notice any sound difference.

On the mp3s, thanks for the tip, I will try to convert them (and some more besides) and upload a much smaller file (with more songs).

Any reason why most of the map is hidden? I would think you'd want the entire map revealed from the beginning.

I set the map this way because some of the Civs may not have knowledge of the full game world. It can be set to visible if desired by removing the 'fog of war' setting in the scenario file. Maybe I will apply this in the next update.

Also, any plans to revamp the techs and add a spaceship victory?

For the techs, I have plans to add more units and options, and remove/replace the standard wonders, but I do not have any intention to move the game beyond the technology evident in the series.

I managed to get mp3 files to work- the previous conversion program I had used could not remove the metatags, this was why my earlier attempts had failed.

Now I've updated all 29 tracks of the OST for season 1, under the 'optional files v1.2' link. The Google drive link is already up, and the other will be updated within a few hours.

Later on I plan on adding the OST for seasons 2-4, but for now, 29 tracks should suffice!

Updated to V1.4:

- Revealed the scenario map to the players
- Removed original wonders (great and small)

Notes for future upgrades, based on my own running game:

- Tully leaderhead graphic is wrong for certain states (annoyed, angry, etc.)
- Need to change city graphics to avoid the emergence of modern-looking cities
- Need to consider bringing in some of the terrain mod-packs to spice up the scenario

Top Bottom