1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A legitimate Warhammer 40,000 mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by black baron, Jul 29, 2008.

?

do you think we should start with a scenario or a free-form mod

1. scenario

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. free form

30 vote(s)
    65.2%
  3. other (please suggest if other)

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. niether

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. black baron

black baron Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

well if i knew how and everything went as planed it would be where you had the galaxy to conquer and that it would be a combination of both land and space battles. you attack a planet w/o a fleet you go strait to land battle you attack one w/ fleet you fight fleet then land battle. or something like that.

2. Refar

Refar Deity

This sounds great in theory, but i do not really see how it would be doable (or playable) within Civ4 engine. Empire at War had a engine that would allow to switch between Land and Space based battle maps within one campaign, and it was fun. The game however was very different from civ.

You might achieve better results by focusing on one aspekt.

3. black baron

better yet do like road to war have two campaigns one focusing on space the other on land. or do like other video games in that you have risk like field then when you attack you go to another map(this might be harder).

4. Popcornlord

Popcornlord Steampunk Mechanic

I tried programming something like what BB's suggesting, but I think we'd need an expert in C++ to do it.

5. black baron

is there any C++ modder who can confirm this and preferably help out

btw: i want to get this mod up and running soon becuase i have an idea that evolves this and two other mods

6. Popcornlord

I just asked in the main C&C forum. Hopefully someone can help

7. black baron

basically we only have 2 xml modders: popcornlord and myself he's working on techs and so far I've only made the civs, i guess I'll start working on civlopedia, if anyone want to help just ask

8. black baron

9. Vylinius

Vylinius College Student

Well I know nothing about warhammer 40k but I think if you are doing this first do rhye type thing in water that you mod to look like space then add a buch of 1 tile islands and make transports to carry land units to these tiles aka planets for the land part and use modded ships for the space ships of course and well from there it matters on the universe you are doing I quess.

10. black baron

me and popcornlord have talked of something like this but for our plan to work we need a master in C++.(isn't getting annoying to hear the same thing over and over again)

11. Popcornlord

No, lopaz suggested just replacing water with space and land with planets. Then make a map with a bunch of planets surrounded by space. The main problem with that, however, is that land combat is greatly neglected in favor of space. If i'm correct 40k is focused mostly on land.

12. black baron

yes and if you want space armadas you're gonna have to look to/for Battlefleet Gothic or wait for me to get done with the land battles.

13. Acronym2

Acronym2 'Cedo Alteram'

I'd like to help....I can make some Imperial Guard Vehicles!

However, I don't think it's a good idea to convert and use DOW models or skins. The material is copyrighted and the implied consent with Mod-ing is that DOW models/skins would be altered for use in DOW games. I believe that specific permission from THQ would be needed to do anything with them in CivIV.

I have done some DOW Mod-ing and the models are way too high in poly's and the skins are 512x512 anyway. It would be easier and simpler to just make the models. (The DOW materials can be used as a picture reference!) A low poly (under 1000) model is simple to make. The magic is all in how it's painted afterwards. (In fact, I could make an Imperial Guard Tank and post it next weekend if anyone is interested.)

Some of the problems with a CivIV WH40K Mod are tech advances, eras and bringing all the races together on the same world within the parameters of the 40K environment. The 40K world is pretty much a dark age where technological advancement is almost non-existant. I think that the game should be along the lines of FFHII, where eras are not dramatic, less emphasis is on advancement and units do not become obselete with new discoveries. Some type of colonization of a newly discovered far off world might be a good premise for an epic game.

14. Acronym2

Acronym2 'Cedo Alteram'

One more thing! Even though the poll goes against it, I think a scenario is a good way to start. A little experimentation with three or four races to work the game system out. That's how FFH got started.

15. Vylinius

Vylinius College Student

I would rather see land battles actually I was just providing that idea as a simple solution but not a very good one.

16. black baron

@acronm2:well in terms of scenario if we wanted full-scale 40k we could do like dark crusade or souls storm make it so they're all on the same planet fighting for control.
    @lopaz: really in terms of canon 40k follows ground wars and at best has some space-based support. if space type battle are what people are looking for then it'd be the specialized game of Battlefleet Gothic
    (i need to stop mentioning Battlefleet Gothic)

17. black baron

the biggest issue thus far is the forming of a tech tree, considering that it's a more violent age rather than a technical one. i have talked to popcorn lord about making it more like upgrades(the tt) but i put more though into it and decided to make it more like civ4; more technical, however I'm having trouble doing this so i ask you to brain storm on how to convert violent technology into more technical tech.

18. Dead Flag

Dead Flag Warlord

What I would recommend is basing it around an uncontacted world to start with and a war between bands of primitive humans and exodite eldar. Then, each race has to discover space flight or build a space ship, and once they've done that they establish contact automatically with the rest of their race. Humans and eldar can become loyalist or traitor (or craftworld or dark eldar), and then study their side's tech blueprints to get them up to date technology-wise. They can also summon their side's real forces into the battle, a bit like the Mercurians and Infernals in FFH. You could also use the same hell-terrain to represent the taint of chaos. Barbarians would be feral orks, and then later on proppa orks would start arriving from space.

This way you don't have many races to think about, but you could create different civilisations of humans and eldar like the vanilla civs. You could even just start off by making the humans.

19. black baron

nice idea but the humans and the eldar didn't fight 'til much later the necontyr/necrons and the eldar; yes they fought. as for barbarians it would be a random thing between heretics(chaos), dark eldar, orks, and tyrinids. this idea would be a little better if it help with the main problem not the details, but that aside nice idea.you idea would be great if i decide for simplicity sake to do a scenario.

i did have an idea similar; the idea was that you would lead your race from the early civ all the way to the 41st millennium(although like the eldar you might just reach it before that time period). but in the end i dismissed it for some reason.

what would be cool is if i could make it like late spore(it is addicting) and make it so you could go between space and planets, but again c++ master required.(please recruit people if possible, but don't be annal about it)

20. Dead Flag

Dead Flag Warlord

My idea was to set it in a relatively short period from 35,000 to 40,000 or whenever to keep things simple. A lot of mods attempt to do too much to start off with and fail because of the overly-ambitious plan.

If you started based around my concept, all you'd have to do to begin with is rename some civs and give them some new leaders. Then you could begin to introduce the 40k stuff slowly, whilst still having a playable game at every stage.

The barbarian orks could be taken straight from the fantasy Warhammer mod or from FFH.