A lesson in honesty: A WAY TO MAKE YOUR CIV4 EXPERIENCE MORE FUN

ainwood said:
Yes - I know of no way to find out who your rivals are in Civ4 - and I think its by design (even the 'greatest civilization' pop-ups don't have the civ names, nor do wonder completions etc).

How about top 5 cities screen? Names of cities are unambiguously linked to civilizations. Although you couldn’t know all of them, you can get information about some.

Yes, solenoozerec, you're spot-on there. I guess if you don't settle your capital city in 4000BC, there's a good chance you would see up to 5 of the other civs via the F9 screen!

I wonder if ainwood's GOTM Gang are looking at a way to patch that out........never personally thought the Top 5 Cities List was much use anyways! :)

I wonder if ainwood's GOTM Gang are looking at a way to patch that out
See my previous post here. Ainwood hasn't commented, of course, and he's the boss. So I reserve the right to be wrong.

Here's my personal take on a lot of what has come up recently:

Perhaps contrary to popular belief, I'm not a control freak who spends all day fretting over how we can change this game to suit our evil master plans. By and large, I think we should try to play it as it comes. It's Firaxis' game, not ours, and the GOTM should play as far as possible the way your own private games would play. If Firaxis have decided in their wisdom to let you see five city names then why should we worry? That's the game we're playing, and we aren't here to redesign it. Our efforts as GOTM staff should be, and are, focused on ensuring that all players have the same information as they play the games. Hence the emphasis on no reloading and on the spoiler rules.

AlanH said:
See my previous post here. Ainwood hasn't commented, of course, and he's the boss. So I reserve the right to be wrong.

Here's my personal take on a lot of what has come up recently:

Perhaps contrary to popular belief, I'm not a control freak who spends all day fretting over how we can change this game to suit our evil master plans. By and large, I think we should try to play it as it comes. It's Firaxis' game, not ours, and the GOTM should play as far as possible the way your own private games would play. If Firaxis have decided in their wisdom to let you see five city names then why should we worry? That's the game we're playing, and we aren't here to redesign it. Our efforts as GOTM staff should be, and are, focused on ensuring that all players have the same information as they play the games. Hence the emphasis on no reloading and on the spoiler rules.
Pretty-much what my thoughts are too.

I realise that at some times it may seem like I/we are being the 'fun police', but in reality we're trying to facilitate your game, not force you into playing our one.

Re the cities in the top5 cities list, its probably an oversight / bug on Firaxis' part, given the efforts they've made to hide the civ names elsewhere in the game. Personally, I prefer not to know what the other civs are in the game (I never use F10 in Civ3 either) - but we're never going to try and legislate some rule against looking at that screen!

I, personally, would like to see real exploits removed from the game where possible, so that the games are about skill and strategy, rather than about manipulating the game engine (and I don't see these city names as an exploit anyway). However, I don't think that even when the SDK comes out we'll be looking to mod anything more than perhaps a scoring mechanism that the GOTM community can agree on!

AlanH said:
...It's Firaxis' game, not ours...
Couldn't agree more with this statement........'bin singing this song at HOF for the past couple of years.

As long as the Playing Field is Level and everybody has the same advantages/disadvantages, why re-invent The Wheel, so to speak? (Except in The Game, of course! :mischief: )

My only Major Wish for Civ 4 was that Firaxis would have a Championship Mode whereby you could only load/save ONE file. Somebody said this was in effect for another strategy game......But, can't remember the name. :)

Top Bottom