A minute of silence for Rwanda

vonork

Emperor
I knew about it but I was reminded by the news. A sad thing stuff like this happend so recently.

Civilization is indeed a very thin layer which peels off just like that.

Man, so sad. :(

So many folks in our pampered societies take everything for granted, like life owes them something and they are entitled.

But, the reality is that we live in a very elite group of humans when taking human history as a whole. We live in the exception to the rule. And the rule is that mankind's history is barbaric and cruel, as evidenced by Rwanda.

Of course a moment of silence in observance is the least we can do, but I wish we could do so much more.

Anyone catch the documentary on FrontLine on PBS regarding the genocide in Rwanda ? It was on last week IIRC.
They had a video of a church where a massacre took place in Rwanda. Very graphic and disturbing images, especially the ones of babies who had their heads bashed in. :(
Mass graves, bodies stacked on one another....very chilling to see that people are still capable of the most heinous crimes.

It's estimated that over 1 million people were slaughtered in Rwanda.
The head of the UN peacekeeping force in Rwanda at the time says it's the West responsibility (specifically, the USA, UK, and France) for not intervening and trying to stop the massacre.
And quite frankly, I have to agree with him. Empty promises indeed crystal. Maybe the UN and the USA, UK, and France would have cared more if this was happening in an anglo-saxon country or if this was happening to the jews again...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/africa/04/06/rwanda.dallaire/index.html

I won't be, the reason is that being at school at the time would make my silence a detriment to my learning. (and class participation points)

I'm remembered of the genocide every time I hear a comedian from Rwanda who moved in Québec City after the genocide.
His name is Michel Mpambara and he managed to make a comedy routine out of this atrocity and his life in Burundi and Rwanda.

It's sometime weird to listen too because you find yourself laughing at something and then you feel guily for it. But that's the greatest thing comedy can do: make you laugh and think at the same time.

Mpambara achieves both things and makes us realize how precious is free speech and non violence ways to resolve conflicts. We can never forget.

And we have to stop sitting on our asses saying stupid things like "we're used to hearing this kind of stuff coming out of Africa".
The UN, but most importantly its major members, have to do something to prevent future events like this one.

Either that or we'll have to hold more minutes of silence in the near future... :(

It should remind us of the world's lack of interest and action when the massacres occurred. The mainstream media should really endeavour to be more broad in its focus, particularly on issues like this and particularly in Africa.

The very LEAST we could have done is block the radios calling them to chop up their neighbors. I remember reading some primary sources on a SUNY or WashU site about this.

Basically, the USA and its allies:

1. Refused to acknowledge that genocide was taking place until afterwards.
2. Refused to send troops or reinforcements to aid refugees - although all the troops involved were African.
3. Refused to jam "hate-radio" signals, at a cost of just about zero.

Government documents and communications to prove these assertions.

Originally posted by Achinz
It should remind us of the world's lack of interest and action when the massacres occurred. The mainstream media should really endeavour to be more broad in its focus, particularly on issues like this and particularly in Africa.

I don't mean to intrude on the love-fest for Rwanda in progress, but why? Events in Africa, by and large, have virtually little to no effect on the lives of the people watching mainstream media sources.

Top Bottom