The government plans to have this grading system instead:

A
B
C
D
E
X
FX

Another change will be that instead of grades starting to be given out in 8th grade, it now begins in 6th grade.

Now, my question is, is this a good or a bad change?

Well in America we have
A
B
C
D
F

Starting pretty early on...

Right now, Sweden has this grading system:

MVG - Much Very Good
VG - Very Good
G - You get the idea
IG - FAILED!

The government plans to have this grading system instead:

A
B
C
D
E
X
FX

Another change will be that instead of grades starting to be given out in 8th grade, it now begins in 6th grade.

Now, my question is, is this a good or a bad change?

Are you trying to say that Swedish students aren't graded at all until the 8th grade? Holy crap. No wonder children are happy there. They never fail until the 8th grade.

This kind of reform gets lots of attention because it's easy to understand and have an opinion about, but in reality the educational system are not likely to become much better because of this reform.

That said I still support it. I think the resolution (number of different grades) should match the teachers ability of setting accurate grades and the previous system had too few grades.

In Greece (unless things have changed) there is Α,Β,Γ in the elementary school years, then 0-20 in highschool. I would think that it is best to use 0-20, although perhaps in the younger ages it could cause too much anxiety.

Are you trying to say that Swedish students aren't graded at all until the 8th grade? Holy crap. No wonder children are happy there. They never fail until the 8th grade.

No, they WILL be graded (in the future) from 8th grade. Now they are graded from 6th grade.

Edit: Rereading the OP, I realise that I was wrong, but, I my defence, t wasn't easy.

That's true you don't get graded in 7th grade or earlier, but the work you did in 7th grade stills reflects the grade you get in 8th grade.

Here's how I was graded over the years

grades 1-3 (Poland):

2 (worst)
5 (best)

grades 4-6 (Germany) (I might have this one a bit wrong)

5 (worst)
1 (best)

grades 7-8 (Canada)

A+ (for each letter)
A
A- (for each letter)
B
C
D
E
F (worst)

grades 9+ (Canada)

100% (best)
0% (worst)

I think kids should be graded starting from grade 1.

I think kids should be graded starting from grade 1.

Maybe not that soon, but I'll join the crowd in saying this:

WHAT? Swedes don't get graded until grade 8? That's insane!

I wasn't graded untill 8th grade and it has never been a problem for me, so I don't see how you Americans can just assume your way is better?

I think the new Swede grading system is better, it's pretty much the same as the new Danish grading system. The two old systems were very different. Now intereducation is easier.

Maybe not that soon, but I'll join the crowd in saying this:

WHAT? Swedes don't get graded until grade 8? That's insane!

Yah.

What's the incentive for doing homework and doing well on tests (please tell me they write tests!) if in the end it doesn't matter at all?

My sister didn't get graded till she was in 6th grade nor did she have any homwork or have to write any tests till then.

The grading system I have to suffer from the IB works from 1-7.

Yah.

What's the incentive for doing homework and doing well on tests (please tell me they write tests!) if in the end it doesn't matter at all?

And I'll bet nothing helps teenage angst like being graded on a test for the first time in thirteen years. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom