A new way of conducting landing operations in C3C ?

Civinator

Blue Lion
Supporter
With the hacked editor I made the following settings:

I gave an air unit the telepad ability, a lot of hitpoints, the hidden nation flag, removed the "go to" ability and removed the rebase ability. Than I placed this unit over a land square and gave the teleport flag to other units (warrior and archers as they still did exist at the start of my mod). The teleporting units had no opportunity to teleport to other places as to the planned landing places- especially they had no chance to teleport back from these landing places as they would do so all times I did test this.

Screene 1:

In the next round always the following happened: A massive invasion via telepad, even if there stood units of other civs (here France) next to them. All invading units used one telepad unit until the hitpoints of that unit were consumed (much more units than the two I have read in the teleportation thread).

Screene 2:

I wasn´t able to destruct the telepad unit. I placed lots of fighters around the unit with the airfight mission on them, placed the fighters in cities next to the unit, on land squares next to the unit and moved on the telepad unit, I moved land units in the square with the telepad airunit on it who shared the same landtile but couldn´t do any harm on that unit (an old bug that still seems to work with C3C) and I tried to bombarde it with arty, but the arty couldn´t aim that target. Strangely enough air units could do bombing missions on the land tile with the air-telepad unit on it but didn´t get any harm by these missions. The only thing I haven´t tried yet was to throw a nuclear bomb on it.

But there was one manouvre that did stop the invasion: If a foreign land unit shared the same file with the telepad air unit, the AI didn´t teleport invading units to that telepad unit.

What if the airtelepad unit hoovers over a land tile that only is allowed to be passable to foot units and all units on the map but the invasion force have the "wheeled flag"? What if a special settler with a foot flag lands and creates a (resource-)city on that place that automatically gives a road on that tile ? What if this telepad air unit is optically invisible, so that it doesn´t disturb until it is used at D-Day?

As C3C is very complex, I made alot of questionmarks in this post, but I thought, I inform the civ-community about this phenomenon.:)

Quite thought provoking, thanks for sharing this.

Have considered making the telepad a land unit flagged as a paratrooper? It would then be more easily subject to attack/destruction.

I have a personal interest as I hope someday to include the invasion of Lanka by the monkey army in a mod; Hanuman could function as the mobile telepad.

Yes I considered it. But I want a (at least nearly) undestructable landing unit.
Something like a trigger for an event. If this telepad-unit would be transparent it could p.e. in a WW2 scenario be placed over the Normandy in the scenario in 9/39 but it is used in 1944 when the troops with the "teleport-ability" are arriving. If the unit would be destructed all this setting would be in vain. And the (at least nearly) undestructable unit cannot be used on another place, as it is immobile by deleting the "Go-to"-command.

If you want a nearly indestructible unit you need to give it 0 defense and Hidden Nationality. AI units will still try to attack it but they simply share the same tile as the unit. The 0 defense/HN unit can still be destroyed by lethal bombardment.

Questions (reguarding AI behavior):

1 - Were you at war with the AI?

2 - What happens if the telpad unit is in the AI's teritory (does it still send all those units there)?

3 - What happens if the telepad is in an AI controlled city (does it still send all those units there)?

Questions (reguarding AI behavior):

1 - Were you at war with the AI?

2 - What happens if the telpad unit is in the AI's teritory (does it still send all those units there)?

3 - What happens if the telepad is in an AI controlled city (does it still send all those units there)?

1 - No, I was not at war, but when I demanded that the AI should retreat their teleported troops, the AI always declared war - and teleported the troops back, if there was a telepad in the AI´s territory or city (and in range).

2- I only used the helicopter unit as a unit-telepad (no building telepads). The unit telepad is only needed, to receive the teleported units. It doesn´t send units. The only settings necessairy to teleport a unit to a unit telepad are, that the unit has the teleport flag, the unit is in range to the telepad, the unit telepad is accepted by that unit and the telepad unit has enough hitpoints to receive the teleported units.

So may be the unit telepad is a good "Army headquarter" (or supply base) too, where all regiments or divisions in range can be quickly attached.

3. At time I only tested unit telepads and these don´t send troops, they receive them. But I will see what happens with building telepads (so I don´t like their unlimited range to send units).

All land units that teleported in turn 1 were in this turn in the English (AI) territory.

What I was meaning to ask were questions about the AI's behavior. In the situation you described in post one, you placed the (AI owned) telepad unit in your teritory, and then the AI telported as many units as it could to it. I was wondering, if the unit was placed in AI territory or in an AI city, would the AI still teleport all those units to it.

I assume with the usuall AI idiocy, if the units was buildable by the AI, the AI would have to be tricked into making good use of it (like your sugestion of prepreapred invasions in a scenario). So the question arises, under what conditions (roughly) will the AI send units to the telepad?

1- The AI didn´t teleport as many unit as it could to the telepad unit. The AI still left teleportable units in their home cities. And the AI teleported only as many units to the telepad unit as one of the telepad units in my territory had hitpoints. The AI had more teleportable units. In my territorry I positioned 4 (helicopter) telepad units in range of the teleportable units.

2- I positioned some telepad units in AI cities and the AI did teleport some units to them. This is easy to control with debug-mod, as the the telepad unit looses hitpoints for each teleportation to that unit.

This is absolutely amazing. Thanks a :goodjob: lot Civanator!

Hmm, this is strange. All the units that I've tried using as a telepad when teleporting units didn't lose any hitpoints.

What exactly were the stats, flags, and abilities you used for those telepad units?

EDIT: Ah, I figured it out. I was using no health telepad units!

Hmm, this is strange. All the units that I've tried using as a telepad when teleporting units didn't lose any hitpoints.

What exactly were the stats, flags, and abilities you used for those telepad units?

EDIT: Ah, I figured it out. I was using no health telepad units!

Hi Bluemofia,

so you edited your posting I nevertheless want to answer. :)
I used the following units:

Warrior: normal settings (1A,1D,1MV,0HP); teleportable
Archer: 2A,1D,1MV, 2HP; teleportable
Helicopter: Airunit: 4A,2D, 1MV, no immobile flag - but a deleted"Go to"-command, HN, 10 HP, Telepad, Telepadrange 14

Bluemofia, your great tutorial "Study on Teleportation" was partly responsible for my "experiment". :)

Excellent. That was similar to what I did before you answered, as I used regular warriors, just teleportable, and telepad units that were air, land, and sea, with 5 hp bonus, 3 attack, 3 defense, and 10 movement. No other flags for any of them.

And I also tested the effect of combat skill in it as well. It doesn't matter the skill level (elite, veteran, regular, conscript), just the health.

Top Bottom