A Plan for the Long Run

Hey we should probably come up with some names for our workboats and stuff. Since our workboats will be the first impression other teams have of us they should have clever names I think.

Are you still interested in throwing out ideas Arakhor? You had some really good city name suggestions.

Hey we should probably come up with some names for our workboats and stuff. Since our workboats will be the first impression other teams have of us they should have clever names I think.

Are you still interested in throwing out ideas Arakhor? You had some really good city name suggestions.

Every boat we should buidl should have a Star Trek name, fitting with our theme maybe.

Certainly :) If we're going with the Star Trek theme, we should name them after runabouts, i.e. after major world rivers, e.g. Ganges, Rio Grande, Thames, Orinoco, Nile, Rhine, Danube, Po, Mississippi, Amazon, Tweed.

I agree with Earthling's analysis that the only real Victory Conditions [VCs] worth discussing are Conquest and Domination. However, I think it's unwise to rule out a meta-game VC: Partnered Conquest. Let's be honest - this game isn't going to be over when some team sees a cut screen having crossed a particular numerical in-game threshold. No, this game will end when the other teams realize that there is nothing they can do to prevent a loss.

By recruiting a team to partner with us, we stand a Much better chance at overwhelming the other teams if we have an early reliable partner. Paired research, exclusive trading -- this is the sort of thing that leads to victory.

In other words, Let's not approach this game assuming that the only path to victory is by warring and over-running the other teams! There are many ways that they can help us achieve effective dominance, even if it's outside the narrow bounds of the game mechanics.

In every MTDG that I've participated in, the winning team had [at least] one solid ally. Victory is not a lonely endeavor.

I agree that alliances and good diplo will be key to winning this thing. The other teams know this too. We have 2 workboats out now to meet people. We should really name them so they give a good impression to whomever we meet.

Going with our Q theme, I do like the runabout idea that Arakhor suggests. We could also go with Galileo and Columbus (the enterprise shuttlecraft).

We should also have Kepler, Copernicus, Halley, Newton, Cabot, Polo, Magellan and Cortez if we're also going to do famous mediaeval/Renaissance scientists and explorers.

Top Bottom