A proposal for deputy governors

Hey, we're talking a Democracy here. :) Did you put it in triplicate copies and pay all the applicable fees? This puppy's not going to be in effect until next session. Just like the "run for 1" deal. That's the way it should be. We just drafted this new Constitution, let's let it work for one election cycle. Then you can change it every other day.... (please insert the appropriate smiley face)

Oh, I see, I forgot to grease the appropriate palms...

Well, if it's just me and Chieftess running for President then I'm guaranteed a raise of at least 2 gpt. I'll use the extra gold to help pass the appropriate legislation for this proposal.

Sorry for the confusion folks. Partially my fault as I should have been proactive when donsig asked for the Review prematurely. It was premature as the Review is supposed to be on the poll. That combines the elements of the change and also allows the judges to verify that the proposed poll itself is correct (so the whole shebang doesn't end up invalidated because somebody didn't cross an I or dot a T ;) ).

All that is required is to have the proposal put into a proposed pol. Then the judges review it and post the poll.

(besides that, I've noticed a very peculiar non-increase in my bank account)

Bill and Eklektikos, can you keep an eye on these two!

Here is the poll using donsig's format, adding another item that refers to Acting Govs and applying standard polling criteria. I'll order a Review post haste.

Proposed Poll:
Q: Do you support the following change to the Code of Laws? (see first post for details)
  • Yes
  • No
  • Abstain

First post

The original item appears below in italics. The changed version is below that in bold.

SECTION D THE LEGISLATIVE BRANCH

Point 1) The Senate (Governors)

B) Governors do not have Deputies but may appoint an Acting Governor when unable to fulfill their duties. The Acting Governor has all powers and responsibilities of the Governor but is a temporary position and must surrender their acting status upon the request of the governor.

B) Each province will have a deputy governor. The deputy governor assumes all powers and responsibilities of the governor during the absence of the governor.

Section H Appointed Positions

Point 4)Acting Governor
(a) Appointed by Provincial Governor
(b) Confirmed by a poll of the citizenry. Simple majority required.

This entire point will be deleted.

Poll duration
This poll will remain active for a minimum of 48 hours or until a quorum is reached, whichever comes later.

Judge Advocate Review

I find no conflict within these changes that would violate the constitution or code of laws / standards. This change should be moved to the polling phase once the Public Defender has posted his review.

One clarification may be needed in the future. COS, Point 6 refers to those eligible for Presidential election. Should we wish Deputy Governors to be eligible as Departmental Deputies are, then we should add a little wordsmithing there.

Bill
Judge Advocate of Phoenatica

Are they appointed, elected separately or the runner-up in the general election. If the last is the case, we will have to run separate elections for them anyway, cos only two governor positions were contested.

I see no constitutional conflicts in this proposal and it therefore passes judicial review. Poll has been posted here.

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
One clarification may be needed in the future. COS, Point 6 refers to those eligible for Presidential election. Should we wish Deputy Governors to be eligible as Departmental Deputies are, then we should add a little wordsmithing there.
Originally posted by Almightyjosh
Are they appointed, elected separately or the runner-up in the general election. If the last is the case, we will have to run separate elections for them anyway, cos only two governor positions were contested.
These are both detailed in the companion COS changes. Almightyjosh - the deputy is the election runner up or is appointed if the position is vacant.

Ok, so if I'm learning from my book, Eklektikos is excercising the CoL Section D article 3 in combination with E.2A? Forgive my ongoing confusion. The process of approving a CoL or CoS is scattered all over the Constitution. Where does it say that the Judicial Branch must gather the approval of the citizens in order to present the Cabinet with a CoL change? Isn't what this poll is?

Just execising CoL Sec D,3 at the moment.
E,2,a covers things like the discussion of Constitution Article G that I sponsored a week or two ago. Essentially it's about how clarifying the way in which existing bits of the constitution are to be interpreted when controversy arises over them.

Top Bottom