A thread for small ideas

I do agree that loyalty giving complete immunity to capture can be a bit powerful

But on the other hand, capturing is a very rare thing to begin with. Not many units can learn command, or cast Dominate. So likewise, it's usually not worth the effort to aquire law mana just to counter it.

Rust is an extremely useful spell, I've sometimes wondered myself, if it's a bit overpowered
Enchanted blade is functionally an extra level of Combat. Very good actually. Enchantment mana is one of those spheres that's useful at all levels

With all the items, could there be waterwalking boots? I've always wanted waterwalking boots.

I would like to take a moment to say that my name is not "Someone". :(

Also, it would be neat if sea combat had a chance to spawn shipwreck lairs. Maybe make a debris improvement that upgrades to a lair so it isn't explored in the same turn as the combat, with odds scaling with the hammer value of the ship lost.

Rock Ravens with access to Drill and Archery, but htat's probably just amusement at The Birds talking.

...Probably not a 'small thing', but a Spaceship Victory would be nice. Like, a non-military victory that didn't require you to work on it from day one onwards (Great Prophet accumulation for the Shrine..) Tower of Mastery is fairly close, so not the biggest deal, but..

Edit: I KNEW I forgot a thought.

I do agree that loyalty giving complete immunity to capture can be a bit powerful

But on the other hand, capturing is a very rare thing to begin with. Not many units can learn command, or cast Dominate. So likewise, it's usually not worth the effort to aquire law mana just to counter it.
Forgive me if this has changed, since the Civilopedia info hasn't and I haven't capped the AC in a very long time, but does the Avatar of Wrath still basically convert a huge chunk of living units to him? Being immune to the Avatar (And Stephanos)'s big conversion strikes me as... fairly useful. Enought o at least try and get one law mana during the game.

Mind, objectively speaking you're probably correct; People won't rush for Law if it won't save themf rom the AC big damn heroes, and on the overall strategic level, missing out on a few Captures isn't that big a deal, but.. changing it to resist command instead of immunity would then also not be as big a deal either. It just really puts a bee in my bonnet how some magic spells work.

Religious victory only requires getting one's population large enough. Whoever holds AV holy city should eventually win pretty inevitably.

The master's hall is unique, it does less than any two of the other master buildings, and it doesn't provide any new promotions. Maybe it could start selling the all-too-rare items for millions of dollars?

Just played a bit as Jotnar, captured a couple griffin with my trolls and though, hey, it would be pretty cool if these griffin could work with the trolls like hawks do. Idea: A captured griffon can be upgrade to a Pet Griffon that can join trolls and perform recon and air strikes (as well as fly solo).

Enchanted blade is functionally an extra level of Combat. Very good actually. Enchantment mana is one of those spheres that's useful at all levels

But his point was that while Rust is ridiculously powerful, Enchanted Blade also happens to make you 100% immune to Rust - thus, by proxy, making it overpowered as well.

But his point was that while Rust is ridiculously powerful, Enchanted Blade also happens to make you 100% immune to Rust - thus, by proxy, making it overpowered as well.

I did not know this.
This doesn't make enchanted blade overpowered though. It makes rust NOT overpowered, by providing a counter to it. The two sort of balance each other out.

I'd say, it should prevent your weapons from being removed, but it should NOT prevent you from getting the Rusted promotion. I'd say the latter represents damaged armour too.

As a side note, I think rust should only be able to remove copper/iron weapons, not mythril.

In fact, it makes sense that it should only remove iron. Copper is a fairly unreactive metal, isn't it? And rust is just the layman's term for iron corrosion with oxygen exposure.

Although perhaps rust would be too limited, if it removed iron, but not copper. But it still definitely shouldn't remove mythril. That's like a magical material.

I don't see rust so much as an oxidation process as much as a general weapon-damaging process. If anything rust could be a universal -2 strength so it'd be useful pre-bronze and mithril would be somewhat resistant.

Mylon said:
I don't see rust so much as an oxidation process as much as a general weapon-damaging process.
I agree with this. I think rust is just a much an easier name for "offensive degradation spell" opposed to iron's oxidation process. Maybe some other type of name could be used with a slightly revamped version. Maybe something along the lines of corrosion or tarnish. That said, -2 strength might be a bit over powered for a first tier spell, don't you think? I'd think just -1 would be fine, as that is what it would take away with copper weapons which are about its tech level.

WarKirby said:
But it still definitely shouldn't remove mythril. That's like a magical material.
Absolutely agree. It took a goddess to enchant the mythril golem after all.

I did not know this.
This doesn't make enchanted blade overpowered though. It makes rust NOT overpowered, by providing a counter to it. The two sort of balance each other out.
Mmnnn, I kinda disagree. Rock-Paper-Scissors mechanics just rub me the wrong way unless you can actually reliably obtain all three. Same reason why in MMOs it really bugs me if someone uses the argument.

But it still definitely shouldn't remove mythril. That's like a magical material.

Yeah, probably. Plus Mythril doesn't spawn that much on the map, and it requires a significant tech investment to obtain.

If there could be an indicator of some sort for Jotnar spawning, that'd just be terrific, also.

A few small ideas:

1) Fabricaforma and the Stonefire Smiths should have a few of their applicable resources retooled, little more than several simple tweaks which would bring their function into alignment with their specific lore.

Current Resources:

Fabricaforma: Gold, Pearl, Iron, Mithril, Gems

Stonefire: Iron, Copper, Mithril, Marble

My Proposed Changes in Italics:

Fabricaforma: Gold, Pearl, Iron, Mithril, Marble

Stonefire: Iron, Copper, Mithril, Gems, Gold

The former is described as a school of architecture, concerned with the design and construction of actual buildings or other major structures. Gems have almost no application in such a field, at least not to the point where their specific inclusion is really warranted on the same level as gold and iron, and indeed the absence of marble seems rather inexplicable. (It is certainly more central to Fabricaforma's field than pearls!)

As for our Dwarven artisans, they are a guild of smiths and as such deal in the forging of individual items while very rarely involving themselves in large scale construction where marble would be found. (And likely not at all outside the Underhome, I should think) To cite a specific example of their typical craft, Gimli considers having Galadriel's locks encased in crystal and gold by Erebor's smiths. Additionally, the graving of runes would certainly fall under the purview of 'Gems'.

2) It would be a nice touch of nuance if Enchanter's Enclaves could sell Enchanted Blades like Master Smiths do for Plate and whatnot. :D

3) This will likely prove unpopular, but I feel that Mithril weapons would be best allocated out through individual purchases rather than automatic dispersal. Even when harnessed as a resource, it is hard to envision such a treasure ever being so ubiquitous that each and every soldier is given that gift by default. It should ideally be rather expensive, bought from a Weaponsmith, and I believe would further elevate Mithril as a truly rare and wondrous substance.

3) This will likely prove unpopular, but I feel that Mithril weapons would be best allocated out through individual purchases rather than automatic dispersal. Even when harnessed as a resource, it is hard to envision such a treasure ever being so ubiquitous that each and every soldier is given that gift by default. It should ideally be rather expensive, bought from a Weaponsmith, and I believe would further elevate Mithril as a truly rare and wondrous substance.

I disagree. Look at Tolkien's Dwarves at the height of their power, ultimately the source for most modern fantasy dwarves.

Top Bottom