A trivial question about the research path

oleg1

Chieftain
Started a new game after a long hiatus and enjoined it very much but still thinks my start was a bit chaotic and messy.
Here is the start location (Mehmed, Large, Epic, 3 continent Planet Generator no fiddling with a map). Assuming you move to a plain hill, what is the best tech pathway and build order ? AH first or Mining or Fishing ?
I have a start position monarch save attached as it was generated but should really be played much higher for a sheer fun. :)

BTW, was lost for 3+ years from this forum and rusty, how here to paste a picture in the body of a post ?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 338
  • Mehmed II BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    151.7 KB · Views: 64
Assuming you move to a plain hill, what is the best tech pathway and build order ? AH first or Mining or Fishing ?

With a sea food resource in my city's cross, I'd always go for fishing - extra food and commerce.

Probably ah-mining-bw

You could go fishing but, pigs and hills are really all you need to get those first few cities out. Maybe even AH->fishing->bw. Still your best bet is probably ah->bw, start with worker then 2 or 3 warriors for exploration and fog busting, then chop out a 2nd worker and settler, then get those fishing boats out.

/e also when you want to put a pic in there, first you upload to a place like photobucket, and it will give you a link, you then put a box around that says . basically just take the link, highlight it and click the little postcard picture of a mountain.

This is no commerce start. I would go Fishing --> Sailing -> Mining -> Masonry -> Pottery (or AH, I dont remember what is cheaper, but Pottery with 2 pretechs can be faster) -> Writing -> Alpha. f. Organise lighthouse helps a lot and sweet water lake is 3Food after lighthouse And 3H tile and grasshill for mine guarantees preety quick lighthouse with some chops. Check warrior 1SE. If food south of a lake, I will settle directly on sugar.

With exp for faster worker and having the wheel already, there's no real alternative to worker first + AH here.
You can then see if you would like some commerce and do fishing next, but you could even farm that sugar and boats are totally not needed for food at start.

If you're going cottages for commerce, then Fishing really isn't necessary early. If you're not planning on cottaging much, and you don't find a couple of gold/gem tiles in your next city, then fishing/sailing would be a priority - two 5F2C tiles plus the Pigs is pretty decent. AH first is certainly best, though.

Despite the hills, this would be an excellent GP farm if you SiP. Moving 1N to the PH would lose the Sugar, which is not disastrous, of course, but you'd also lose a 3F2C lake tile and gain what looks like Ocean tiles. Too bad your "scout" wasn't placed N of your Settler.

sip,no riverside tiles,so evaluate after BW.you can farm the sugar and chop out as necessary after that,go fishing,AH depends on your surrounding land.You can even farm the pigs!

Thanks all!

Opinions seem to be split almost 50-50 between AH or fishing. I went AH-mining-BW route. Build two new cities by 2000 BC before my first fish boat and completely tanked my research :lol: Eventually catched up but struggled for a while especially when barb galleys showed up and I was just researching sailing.
Will replay the game with more priority for fishing/sail.

Just in case anyone wants to play this map.
Spoiler :
Nope, no gold, gems, even marble. Just jungle elephants to the south - the only early way to raise the happiness cap I hit very fast here

Don't know, why nobody mentioned it, but it looks like a pretty coast heavy start, so why not (try to) bulid the Great Lighthouse? You have some forest to chop it faster and alot of food for whipping, so Fishing, Mining, BW, Sailing, Masonry for tech.

Top Bottom