A way for captured workers to be useful

agc28

Warlord
Just found a way to abuse the stupid AI using captured workers...Sorry if this has been mentioned. I play on immortal and kind of have to abuse the stupid AI in order to gain an advantage. Maybe I am a bad player and just don't know how to play fairly to win on immortal.

During a war, usually captured workers are useless, because they are far away from homeland, and they have nothing to do.

I put my catapults and archers just outside enemy border, with no units inside the border, so that the enemy can't attack me. I make sure that they can shoot into the enemy border. Then I send the workers back into enemy territory, and use them to bait enemy troops to capture them. I usually place the workers on the border, but inside the enemy territory.

If the enemy has spare troops around, it will definitely capture the workers. Usually their units can't move after capturing the workers. Now during my turn, I fire my catapults on the enemy, killing the unit. Then I send in a high movement unit (could be horseman, or any unit with double movement on hill/forest etc.), capture the worker, then retreat, leaving the workers behind.

Then the enemy will send another wave of units to capture the workers. Then my catapults fire away again...Rinse and repeat. If the enemy doesn't capture the worker, that means they have no reinforcement nearby...Then I can begin the siege.

Using the workers as bait is good because workers won't be destroyed. And they don't have to heal. It's better than using units to bait, which are prone to death and have to heal.

I discovered this while playing the inca. Their units can capture workers on a hill, then retreat outside the enemy border.

Yep, I tend to use them as scouts too during the domination slog. Just start scattering them in all directions as your army advances, like an early warning system. ;)

I'm a noob at the Civ series and I'm just coming back to playing it again and I did not know about this. Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

Top Bottom