A werewolf is attacking your castle...

To kill yourself, to save 5 others MAY sound as a good idea at first. very "honorable" and "heroic".

On the other hand, is killing yourself the same as killing someone else. The Person is not there anymore. with all the consequences.

Who tells you that your life is less important, than the life of these five person? Especially as the ruler of a dark fantasy empire, the last standing hope against Demons and Dragons...

Some Elohim People COULD object the descicion of their leader to kill herself to save 5 random people.
Or perhaps the memory of a leader who would sacrifice herself for any of her followers is the type of catalyst needed to make real change in the world. Martyrdom is a powerful force.

in game terms this could be: the armageddon counter would significantly decrease, if one of the powerful good leaders does something involving to give his own life, to save the world.

how about a new end game: instead of winning you lose. but you lose by martyrdom therefore save the world and you get 20000 points.

It depends on the person who commits martyrdom. If Jean D'Arc get's killed, people see her as a hero. But the King, the Queen, represent the country, they ARE the country from this (middleage) point of view. Why should a pagan or a pawn applaude if the most important person in the game - dies, whatever the reason might be. If you conquer another civ in ffh, then the leader vanishes and the people won't object anymore, that "we want back to our mother country". Because without leader, there is no mother country they could go to.

(only spoken in regard of the setting of FFH, not comparable to real life of course)

Indeed, Hyborem is creating a false dilemma. Not surprising, considering. But I imagine a well educated ruler would see through his deception.

Well, it does break the analogy to building the Mercurian gate (initiating a sequence that would surely involve some innocent death) to stop Hyborem & the Infernals (the werewolf) or not (letting more die). So my answer doesn't answer the larger question of the story; in that case it is more of a "kick over the chessboard" answer that doesn't address the larger question.

To that, I think it largely depends on one's understanding of Basium's and Hyborem's respective A, power, and B, characters to decide. If Hyborem will make the world a hell and the Mercurians have a good chance to stop them and the other good nations cannot, and the Mercurians will not likewise doom the innocents, then Ethene is right and Einon a moral coward, or at least has a wrong appraisal of the situation, imo.

To kill yourself, to save 5 others MAY sound as a good idea at first. very "honorable" and "heroic".

On the other hand, is killing yourself the same as killing someone else. The Person is not there anymore. with all the consequences.

Who tells you that your life is less important, than the life of these five person? Especially as the ruler of a dark fantasy empire, the last standing hope against Demons and Dragons...

Some Elohim People COULD object the descicion of their leader to kill herself to save 5 random people.
It isn't killing yourself, it is going down fighting for others. But the larger point is that it is immoral to ask of others what you aren't willing to give, and immoral to take what they will not give willingly. Of course, there are hierarchies of goods & bads, such that a lesser sin to prevent a greater isn't in fact a sin--if (you can be reasonably certain that) there is no other way. (I.e., you don't have to tell the rapist where his victim went, it's okay to lie, assuming you can't reliably subdue him yourself.)

The most moral (imo, of course)course of action would be to ask the one man to try to slow down the werewolf. Don't remove his moral agency. If he refuses, then take it on yourself. (Assuming the Empire's heir is not a villian and all that. Monarchy is a bit of a gamble, after all; so rarely do benevolence and competence align, and how much rarer among pampered princes.)

The real answer is: Jump down (or run down the stairs and out), and challenge the werewolf to one-on-one combat. You are King; surely you are no slouch. Even low-quality heroes can easily beat an 8 strength werewolf. You also have at least some defense bonus (He's charging up hill, presumably, and has been chasing at full speed. He is probably winded.

The real answer is: Jump down (or run down the stairs and out), and challenge the werewolf to one-on-one combat. You are King; surely you are no slouch. Even low-quality heroes can easily beat an 8 strength werewolf. You also have at least some defense bonus (He's charging up hill, presumably, and has been chasing at full speed. He is probably winded.

Yes, and what about Thessa or Dain? They must have SOME way to cause a fiery doom for the werewolf up their sleeve

Pretty sure it's a reference to an old philosophical problem- I don't remember exactly what it's called. The general idea is that a train is coming for one track with five men tied to it, and you can reroute it to a track with one man tied to it.

The argument is that by changing the tracks your actions are dooming the one man and therefore you're immoral, but I've never understood it- your negligence to save the five men is just as bad.

The argument is that by changing the tracks your actions are dooming the one man and therefore you're immoral, but I've never understood it- your negligence to save the five men is just as bad.

Isn't it a legal vs moral argument? Morally, you should take action to kill one and save five. But legally, taking action to kill one makes you guilty of murder while taking no action to kill five is legal.

Well, there's such a thing as criminal negligence.

I'm thinking about adding to the event if you are playing as baron duin halfmorn, you get a free ravenous werewolf.

There should be a third option for Duin.

- Close the gate... the werewolf must be very hungry to chase the man this far. Survival of the fittest.
Requires Baron Duin Halfmorn

Top Bottom