About to be destroyed by miasma warning

Moderator Action: Merged with existing "Miasma warning needed" thread in Ideas & Suggestions.

The point has nothing to do with automation. Have you ever lost a unit that was on fortify heal, where barbs or enemy units shot it turn after turn without your noticing it? The only notification about injuries (including miasma damage) to your units is in the brief notice at the start of a turn. If you start an explorer on a dig, the dig may last longer than the time to kill the unit by miasma. Perhaps you should check every unit on every turn, but the game does monitor miasma damage, so adding a notification that you must actively dismiss is a reasonable request.

The point has nothing to do with automation. Have you ever lost a unit that was on fortify heal, where barbs or enemy units shot it turn after turn without your noticing it? The only notification about injuries (including miasma damage) to your units is in the brief notice at the start of a turn. If you start an explorer on a dig, the dig may last longer than the time to kill the unit by miasma. Perhaps you should check every unit on every turn, but the game does monitor miasma damage, so adding a notification that you must actively dismiss is a reasonable request.

Exactly. It is also really bad for the AI. With my explorer nearby I watched 2 AI explorers die in a ruins with miasma. I swooped in with my explorer and finished it up.

It is very frustrating; autosaves have become my friend.

Honestly? Never. Never lost a unit to Miasma that wasn't an active sacrifice on my behalf either.

When running any Explorer (or Worker) action on a Miasma tile, I work out how much damage the unit will sustain.

As I said, including this won't affect my game negatively in the slightest, but I doubt it's much of a priority especially considering the mod support this game has. I never said it wasn't a reasonable request, but I also feel that managing your units better is also a viable solution to the issue.

Fair enough, but as you say, the request is reasonable. Even when I've carefully calculated how many turns I could leave my unit in miasma, other game developments ("Ugh, PAC and ARC just double DOWed me") have distracted me, resulting in a lost unit. In general, where the UI can capture and communicate information, not providing the information/notification in the most easily actionable way creates "artificial difficulty" (difficulty from obscurity, not difficulty from challenging game play).

An early BE example was the lack of notification when a city completed building something. Yes, you should be able to remember what the city was building, and does it really matter in the grand scheme of things, but ... really ... did that obscurity make the game better? As users raised that issue, Firaxis implemented a "City X just completed construction of Y" notification in the patch.

Users also raised the Miasma warning issue, but Firaxis didn't throw something in. I presume there's a reason, though I'm not sure exactly what. I'd imagine it's a relatively simple change to implement something, as there's been a Miasma warning mod for months (since before / around I started modding the game I think).

Maybe they left it because there was a mod, and because the structure completion notification was harder to mod in? No idea.

I guess for me it's a combination of I think players could take more time with a game for which time isn't an issue (because turn-based), combined with the reality that Firaxis haven't done anything about it yet, which is odd for something so obvious. Unless it's just a careless oversight, there must be a reason. Or at least, justification.

Yes, they did ignore that request, and perhaps they did have a reason for doing so. The fact that there is a mod for that is probably not a rationale they would expressly acknowledge, since that might be viewed by some as indifference ("don't like it? then mod it"), so silence is more likely to indicate they just think it is a low priority. And they might be right about that, since the fortify/healing unit silently dying to barbs has been in Civ V since Day 1 and has never been changed to provide a dismissible notification.

Top Bottom