1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Acken's Let's Plays Deity Challenge series announcements

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Acken, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Acken

Acken Deity

I hardly see how a domination victory can be peaceful :p

2. peddroelm

peddroelm King

Buy their capitals for gazillion amounts of gold ? :p

Think is impossible to trade current capital city in Civ V ... Not sure if one can demand AIs to "gift" it for fear either ... (get a bunch of nukes first then demand capital from afraid AIs :) ..)

3. consentient

consentient Domination!

What I mean is, you've agreed to make an LP for a peaceful game with no exploits. That's great, and I will watch with interest, BUT even more I'd like to see a non-peaceful DomV with no exploits and a crap civ, if at all possible ;)

4. TLHeart

TLHeart King

I agree it is a matter of perspective... but answer this question...

Would a human buy that city from you in that situation? the answer is no, and that is why I see it as an exploit...

I do not see the science overflow as an exploit, but an abuse of the code as written... any human player will take advantage of that code when they can...It is an abuse of the poor AI that the AI does not take advantage of the code.

And the science overflow only works if another civilization has discovered the tech... if no one has discovered the tech, there is no overflow, as you are multiplying by zero.

I know the community has decided that the science overflow is a banned exploit. I for one do not see it that way.

The science overflow was programmed as a clear game mechanic.

5. Acken

Acken Deity

Hmm Your definition on what you consider an exploit is quite to the opposite of what I feel is commonly used and what I've seen used by developers to justify bans in competitive games like MMOs or RTSs. I get your thought process that you consider things to take advantage without interracting with AI weakness is fine while exploiting their weaknesses isn't.

But to me it's not how the definitions are usually used. Usually an exploit is used to refer to a bug, a clear issue with the code while an abuse is about a usage of mechanics that by themselves involve no bug at all. Exploit are also usually hard to think without accidentally triggering them or having knowledge of the code. Abuse of an AI tactics however can be thought of by any person. I'm also pretty sure this forum views abusing the faulty AI more favorably than the overflow exploit. Another weakness in your definition is that it's really hard to draw a line, does stealing worker is also an exploit to you ? Worker baiting ? Mowing AI units because they cant move correctly ? Baiting city shots with a melee unit ? Selling ressources ? The list of AI stupid moves goes on.
    I find it hard to believe you don't consider the science overflow mechanic as a glitch. Scholars in residence shouldn't be compounded on the overflow past the total cost of the tech. A simple max function in the code would ensure this bug to not happen. Finally, I'm pretty sure you NEVER would have known about it on your own. If you still do not consider this a glitch, fine I won't try to convince you more than that.
    Another example would be the trade bug in multiplayer. Everybody can use it but it's an exploit by my definition.

But enough of semantics.

Now even if we agree on the definitions, I believe you would then still argue that one is okay while the other isn't.
    That is fine. I'm not really here to convince you that you're wrong on that part. You're free to decide in a solo game what you consider fair and what you wouldn't do. I'm just saying that I don't agree and when it comes to interacting with other players then it's up to the "referees" to decide. In an mmo it's the devs and gamemasters, here it's the mods and people in charge of HoF and GotM. But what you do on your own, please go on, speed runners are known for their deep knowledge of game bugs and it's always interesting to see even glitched runs of games.

I won't use the rest of my thread to convince you more than one thing is bad and another is wrong, the web is probably filled with that kind of discussion that has always been involved in gaming. I won't have much to add beyond this as I feel we will start to argue semantics at this point.

6. BlackWizard

BlackWizard King

I also would like to see exploit free let's play for a while. I usually play without exploits. Well I steal from citystate sometimes because it usually has negative effects too. Stealing workers from AI has double effect. It sometimes cripples AI very badly and they might have lots of unimproved tiles. It.s like they sometimes wont even build workers after you steal 2 from them. Elcee and Maddjinn use to make sometimes exploit free LP's.

7. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

I would call an exploit anything that wouldn't work in Multiplayer. Real people won't sign unfavorable deals; nobody will buy a crappy city from you to be musician-bombed, science overflow would hardly work; stealing workers won't be taken lightly, etc. etc.

8. Acken

Acken Deity

Hello everyone, I'm super busy these last days because it's the last days before I send my master's thesis so I don't have a lot of time and motivation to do let's plays.

I'll probably play and comment the Mongol game only since I love Keshiks and then I'll make a few Civ:BE videos after the 24th.
    I plan to record my first game of CivBE and give thoughts on the game as I play it for the first time.

9. Acken

Acken Deity

Master thesis is done and a CivBE game has been recorded (in OP). Another is on the way due to technical difficulties in the first one.

After that one I'll get back to play some Civ5 and maybe some mid level Civ4 as I'm beginning to learn that game (or relearning it actually).

10. consentient

consentient Domination!

Please, please, please, record an LP for Civ 5 BNW when you get a chance. Warmongering with Indonesia or someone else that is merde would be best :)

11. Acken

Acken Deity

Haven't played 5 for a while and not having a lot of time to record peacefully sadly :(

I'll do one eventually.

12. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

If I may, I watched your Inca Science Deity run and I absolutely loved it. You definitely should comment more or put some music up to break the silence. Still, that was a really lovely LP, and I'll be watching the Culture run with Byzantium next :)

13. Acken

Acken Deity

New LP begun, Mayan DCL12.
    Playlist in OP
    First vid:

Link to video.

14. Santa Maria

Santa Maria Warlord

Great LP, really appreciate this Maya LP.

Liberty 5 cities opener - and expanding to more cities, also the start is similar to the Byzantine LP both have early Petra in cap, but now with Liberty it's also different, but you expand fast and steal about 5 workers - so you have a quick start without needing to hardbuild them - so you can build something else - learning a lot from it.

Nicely timed BO in cap and also in expansions switching to Libraries to time NC, getting caravans from AI also helps, eager to watch how it goes.

So looking forward to the next part.

15. Acken

Acken Deity

Part 4 and part 5 are uploaded (up to turn 141)

Some angry neighbours and on our way to renaissance wonders :)

16. Acken

Acken Deity

A bit late but part 6 to 8 are now available. I may finish this game soon O_O

Please tell me if part 7 and 8 audio is a lot better

17. Acken

Acken Deity

The LP is now finished and all part up to 10 are uploaded.

18. R0cafella

R0cafella Chieftain

Acken, your videos are fantastic you really are highly skilled.

I hope we see more Civ5 LP's from you.

19. TheSharp

TheSharp Chieftain

Very nice LP, the audio is a lot better from part 7 onwards.

20. Acken

Acken Deity