Acularius' GEM for Caveman2Cosmos

something else i have observed is the prevalence of kelp and the absence of sea grass and reefs on the map. it might be something to address. also i am having a problem with tile graphic mismatch and just disappearance at the moment. grains look like bogs and reefs/vary tall grass and if someone can tell me how to fix it that would be nice.

something else i have observed is the prevalence of kelp and the absence of sea grass and reefs on the map. it might be something to address.

I am not able to work on SEM at the moment (RL issues), so I would be interested in where you think reefs/sea grass should be placed. Out of the tropics - I assume for reefs as they have coral reefs.

I tried placing sea grass (random placement on one tile, to see what it looked like) but did not get a graphic on the map. When I reported it as a bug - it was acknowledged as a known issue. Sometimes reloading the game displays it.

I'm trying to make the final adjustments for a releasable version but the graphics thing has me stymied for a bit. thanks for the advice i will try it. right now it seems to just be placed everywhere and in general just serves to slow down movement.

here is a map of the distribution of kelp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelp_forest

as for the non coral reefs i would imagine around the cape of good hope and other such places. and sea grass i don't know.

iirc the problem went away for me when I did a complete reinstall of Civ IV and Caveman2Cosmos.

Yeah i have to do this every six months/or once every 10 months at the least, or so.

something else i have observed is the prevalence of kelp and the absence of sea grass and reefs on the map.

I wish I had noticed this post earlier. I've been away from C2C for a while...

I would have warned you- Sea Grass is currently bugged. I leaned this when trying to add it in myself before. In my experience, any attempt to add it to a map leads to things starting to certain other things starting to turn up invisible or with the wrong graphics (like you then experienced with Coral and Kelp).

Sometimes it even corrupts the map save file you tried to add Sea Grass to, if you save it after the attempt.

There's nothing wrong with the map tile entry, by the way. The problem seems to be saved somewhere else in the file, and has to do with the graphics file being messed up for Sea Grass.

The only solutions seems to be reinstalling C2C entirely, and possibly working from an earlier version of the map you were trying to edit (GEM in this case)

I hope you didn't lose too much progress to this bug...

Regards,
Northstar

By the way, don't overdo the nerfing to Tibet. Much of it is today a cold desert, yes (desert tiles might be more appropriate for this than tundra- as there aren't large amounts of ice or snow), but significant amounts of it are also warmer and best simulated by Plains tiles. Further, the climate is nowadays a lot colder and drier than it used to be...

Like much of the planet, Tibet has been significantly affected by climate change due to deforestation...

In many arid, originally forested areas (Tibet is one of these), deforestation led to an irreversible drying out of the climate- trees increased humidity by bringing water from deep underground to evaporate from their leaves. When most of the adult trees were cut down (a certain threshold of deforestation had to be surpassed), the climate became too dry to support the growth of saplings: the climate became much drier, and the forests could not regrow as a result.

Trees also moderate the temperatures of a region, by mechanisms even I don't fully understand.

The dry, treeless, cold plateau Tibet is today is not the wetter, more mild and more heavily forested Tibet it once was.

Now DON'T mistake me- much of Tibet does lie at too high of an altitude for trees to grow at all. But processes of deforestation have pushed the treeline back- the forests were once more extensive than in the modern day. See the following article, which mentions how the forests were once more widespread under the subsection "Forest Relicts"

http://www.mushroaming.com/Deforestation_1998

"It is difficult to imagine that central Tibet's barren slopes once were forest-clad; yet in the Lhasa area, where the annual rainfall of around 450mm per annum is sufficient to sustain juniper forests, historically forests probably were widespread"

A bit later in the subsection...

"In addition, traces of human activity can be dated back some 5,000 years ago; for example, tools found indicate slash and burn agriculture at Karo (mKhar Ro) in the Mekong valley near Chamdo (Chab mDo)"

Note the mention of SLASH-AND-BURN agriculture 5,000 years ago. Humans have been deforesting Tibet for millennia...

It's AMAZING how much ecological damage we've already done to the planet just by clear-cutting forests... It's also amazing how resilient the planet has been despite all the damage we've already done...

Regards,
Northstar

suggestions noted. have you reported the sea grass thing in the bug report thread?

i think a mass removal of kelp is in order it seems to be everywhere.
do you think the map will be ready for a release version soon? I've made some major changes in forests and savannas that i think are for the better but they can be reduced if you think its necessary. some minor tweaks still remain though. i would also like to add the non coral reefs and rock formations but I'm not quite sure were they would be appropriate. also is the great barrier reef in the map i cant tell it just looks like coral?

the time period human impact thing is confusing sometimes. for example shouldn't Australia be much more lush then it is because of the human deforestation and in 50,000 BC their should be a ice age.

i will make revisions at some point soon.

is their something i can do to fix the current saves?

Not that I'm aware of. The reason I've never reported this particular bug is because it was too catastrophic for me to dare repeating again to figure out exactly what caused it (I didn't want to have to re-install C2C). I thought the mod developers must already be aware of it...

You might try searching the save file for any traces of the Sea Grass that weren't reversed simply by removing the feature. There must be SOMETHING that isn't reversing properly in order for the effects to outlive the removal of the tile...

I'd suggest re-installing C2C, and reverting to an earlier save (before the Sea Grass) if you have it. If not, then just re-install C2C and try scouring the text version of the map save file for anything that might be amiss...

If you really want to figure it out, you might try creating a dummy save file in a separate install of C2C, and trying to identify what SPECIFICALLY happens when you add or remove Sea Grass... It's quite likely the changes are to an entirely different file than the actual map file- maybe the one containing the key as to what the different terrain features are- as the bugs seem to extend to other maps after placement of Sea Grass...

Regards,
Northstar

it did seem to change what tiles are invisible every time you place it down. i believe it uses the same sprite (an X shape) but a different color arrangements. the sea grass is a blue version the vary tall grass is the light green version the kelp the dark green version the grains are brown and the coral is the purple version so maybe its only allowing the display of one or two at a time. at its root it seems to be a purely a graphics display problem, every outer function of the tiles work fine.

In the currrent SVN version, when starting a game on the GEM the game shows an empty tech advisor screen followed by a black map and the usual "you have been defeated" popups. Are the removed civilizations the cause of this?

Could somebody please fix GEM map scenarios for current SVN?

Missing custom civs and such. There's only one GEM scenarion in SVN now - 5 civs one, it works, but i wish there was 25+ precolumbian one.

Alright this is my final version for real this time. i removed the mangroves to fix the glitchy textures and made my final corrections and adjustments. i would recommend that someone else go through and look it over as well as adding reefs(the non coral kind), rock formations, possibly sea grass and the aurora wonder in various places where appropriate.:goodjob:

Alright this is my final version for real this time. i removed the mangroves to fix the glitchy textures and made my final corrections and adjustments. i would recommend that someone else go through and look it over as well as adding reefs(the non coral kind), rock formations, possibly sea grass and the aurora wonder in various places where appropriate.:goodjob:

Downloaded it and tried under current SVN.

Same error - immediately gives error about 'You are defeated' - same as before.

I believe problem is with civilizations being used.

Top Bottom