ADDING UNITs TO C3C: Thorough Guide for the Newbie

Originally posted by Goldie
Please help me Kraken

I added everything like you said but I got an error message when I tried to run the game.

It said "Fatal Error" and then something about the "Draw Buffer". Do you know anything about this and if so, how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance

I'm sorry. I really don't have a clue. E-mail me your .biq, Pediaicons.txt, and .ini from the unit you're using. colonelkraken@hotmail.com

Originally posted by immortals84
Ive added 42 units on one scenario already, the game is alot better with more of a variety.

P.S.
what does .INI mean? Its in "art\units\(the unit folder)\(the unit folder) .INI

I'm not sure what it stands for per se, but it's used to let the program know where the files are for the animation and sounds.
colonelkraken@hotmail.com

So if thers a laod error, does that mean that an animation or sound file is missing or incorrect?

P.S.
what does .INI mean? Its in "art\units\(the unit folder)\(the unit folder) .INI
Technically, a ".ini" file is an "initialization" file. They contain information telling a program how to initialize (setup/start using) something.

A standard MS Windows .ini file has a specific format which can be read easily by programs using a standard API.

Ok now I know how to fix those ini error reports, Thanks!

I may becoming a bit anoying, but is there a way to make a transport wheeled or foot unit without making it an army?
Ive noticed that there isnt a check box for transport under "land units".

For any kind of transport you need to increase the "Trans. Capacity" above 0. You also must make sure you checkmark the "Unload" section under "Special Actions".

You can also add certain restrictions under "Unit Abilites" like "Transports Only Foot Units", etc.

Special Note: Transports cannot transport transports. That's why Helicopters cannot be made to land on Aircraft Carriers.

Also note, IIRC, the AI will not use land transports.

--CK

Originally posted by Padma
Technically, a ".ini" file is an "initialization" file. They contain information telling a program how to initialize (setup/start using) something.

Thanks, Padma. I thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure. I usually don't like to post things I'm not sure of. :)

Ive tried to make the freight unit ive downloaded off this site a land transport, but for some reason it cant load units, I put transport only foot units, but the units just move into the same square as the freight, and theres no "LOAD" action. The Helicopter is an immobile unit, other than that there is no land transport unit though. I dont think the game would know how to load those units on ground.

You have to make sure that your land transport has the "Unload" capability and not the "Load" capability. Also, you must make sure that the units you want to be able to load onto the transport have "Foot Unit" unit ability selected. Since you put "Transports Foot Units Only", it won't load anything that is not a foot unit.

I've added a new, exciting section to the tutorial called "Era Specific Unit Animations". It's two posts down from the original.

Check it out.

:)

--CK

Hi!

I have a problem while adding icons to my first mod.
I have absolutely no experience with modmaking and I have a question for you. Which graphics program should I have to open the PCX-files and where can I get it/download it?

Hope you can help me!

Originally posted by Aragorn7
Hi!

I have a problem while adding icons to my first mod.
I have absolutely no experience with modmaking and I have a question for you. Which graphics program should I have to open the PCX-files and where can I get it/download it?

Hope you can help me!

I use Paint Shop Pro (Jasc Software). Some people use Photoshop (Adobe). You can download trial versions of both, I believe.

Originally posted by spirithiker
Does anyone know what the maximum number of units that we can add to the units_32 file?

I'm not sure on that, but, given the current size of Zulu's Units_32, I would say it is nearly limitless.

--CK

How does this gel with adding new DLed units?

Does simply pointing the path to the correct unit folder make available the unique animations for the new unit?

Another puzzler (for me anyways...) is the differentiation between say the Russian Infantry and the German Infantry in the Upgrade path - would I have to add each of those infantry types after rifleman in no particular order and specify their nation, ending with the generic rifleman unit - in order to make each of those units playable to their nations? If I DO add again the Russian Infantry for example, do I remove the generic infantry unit from the Russian lineup so they cant build the generic type?

Actually, now that I've typed this down in black and white, that sounds like EXACTLY what I'd have to do! At least can you confirm this?

Many thanks
<----------------------------------NEW MODDER

Originally posted by Mirv Sheelon
How does this gel with adding new DLed units?

Does simply pointing the path to the correct unit folder make available the unique animations for the new unit?

This applies specifically (although not exclusively) to downloaded units.

Download the unit. Put it in your scenario's Art\Units folder and follow what I said for adding the unit.

UPGRADE PATHS
Adding units to an upgrade path is pretty simple. Simply plug in all the unique units you want in between the main game units.

For example, Civ3 has Rifleman-------->Infantry. IIRC, there are no unique units there.

Now, you want a German Infantry and a Russian Infantry.
Rifleman------>(German Infantry)------>(Russian Infantry)------>Infantry
Where the units in paranthesis are available to those nations exclusively. If you are say, Britain, you build a bunch of Rifleman and want to upgrade them. The game follows the upgrade path. First it goes to German Infantry but finds Britain is not allowed to build that unit, so it moves on to Russian Infantry. Same thing. It then moves on to Infantry. Bingo! Britain can build Infantry.

If you want Germany or Russia to be able to build regular infantry too, don't put them in the upgrade path above. If you want them later to be able to upgrade to Mech Infantry, simply add a separate upgrade path for them:

German Infantry------>Russian Infantry------>Mech Infantry

And there you have it!

Thanks,

CK

So if I get this right - I DONT need to use the Multitool to define my default/run/Attack animations and sounds for the unit I'm adding? This is even better than I thought then!!

I was under the opinion that I HAD to use it to tell the game which way to use those animations.

I'm glad I seem to have the correct way to use the upgrade path. BUT - do I have to remove the ability of Russia to build the generic infantry?

Or does the fact that they can build the Russian Infantry as a UU mean that this is what they will build instead?

Thanks for being so patient with us beginners Colonel! As someone already said, Civ has just found a new Great Leader!

OK, I finally got a unit added by this method after a lot of tinkering.

It appears that I have to add the unit to the TEST/ART/UNITS/LEOPARD folder

as opposed to the TEST/UNITS/LEOPARD
as I'd expected. Is this correct? The other units I'd added using the multitool appeared in the TEST/UNITS/T62 and TEST/UNITS/INFILTRATION SUBMARINE folders.

Maybe Im getting confused. Its very late. I think it't time I re-installed Civ3 and started afresh. I'm going to copy my entire folder before any more modding of course first!!

Colonel, do the Large\Samll.pcx files and the units32icon.pcx files need to be anywhere else than the Art\Civ\units\icons folder?
Also I cant seem to open my pcx files in the 3d program that i just downloaded, Anim8or. Is there a specific way to open them? Or do i open them in flicster? Can I view the unit from the 3d program?

Hello Mirv,

I don't use the Multi-tool (however much a great work it really is), so I don't know how it works.

It appears that I have to add the unit to the TEST/ART/UNITS/LEOPARD folder

as opposed to the TEST/UNITS/LEOPARD
as I'd expected. Is this correct?
That should be correct. I assume "Test" is the name of the scenario/mod.

So if I get this right - I DONT need to use the Multitool to define my default/run/Attack animations and sounds for the unit I'm adding? This is even better than I thought then!!
That's right. ;)

I'm glad I seem to have the correct way to use the upgrade path. BUT - do I have to remove the ability of Russia to build the generic infantry?

Or does the fact that they can build the Russian Infantry as a UU mean that this is what they will build instead?
Which way do you want it? As I stated above, you can do it either way. If you want Russia to only build Russian Infantry and not regular Infantry, then put it in the Infantry upgrade path. If you want Russia to be able to build both, it'll need a separate path (or no path at all if it never upgrades).

Immortals,

Colonel, do the Large\Samll.pcx files and the units32icon.pcx files need to be anywhere else than the Art\Civ\units\icons folder?
The Large and Small pcx images go in My Mod\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Units.
Units_32 goes in My Mod\Art\Units
Also I cant seem to open my pcx files in the 3d program that i just downloaded, Anim8or. Is there a specific way to open them? Or do i open them in flicster? Can I view the unit from the 3d program?

.pcx is a Z-soft paintbrush standard. Not all programs can open these files. I don't know anything about Anim8or. If it's a 3d animation program, I'm not sure it would be able to open a picture document and modify it. Use Photoshop or Paintshop or some other picture modifying program.

--CK

Colonel Kraken - a thousand thanks are heaped upon you!

I'm deleting the multitool today, as I thought that this was the only way to add units and their animations. I tested the unit I'd added to my TEST scenario last night and it worked perfectly, with a few tinkerings with the animation names and placings. Time to start adding units!

Thanks again for your excellent guide!

Originally posted by Mirv Sheelon
Colonel Kraken - a thousand thanks are heaped upon you!

I tested the unit I'd added to my TEST scenario last night and it worked perfectly, with a few tinkerings with the animation names and placings. Time to start adding units!

Thanks again for your excellent guide!

You're welcome. Anytime. ;)

--CK

Top Bottom