ADDING UNITs TO C3C: Thorough Guide for the Newbie

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken
For any kind of transport you need to increase the "Trans. Capacity" above 0. You also must make sure you checkmark the "Unload" section under "Special Actions".

Special Note: Transports cannot transport transports. That's why Helicopters cannot be made to land on Aircraft Carriers.

--CK

Thanks, Padma. I thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure. I usually don't like to post things I'm not sure of. :)

Reading this, while I've not really tried to do it, If the Helicoper is setup as an air unit but without transport ability... a Gunship type of Coper vs A troop carrying one, wouldn't it be able to land on a carrier?

Thought i recall a Mod in Civ II where had Carriers that had choppers able land/take off like planes..

Originally posted by Lord Cain

Reading this, while I've not really tried to do it, If the Helicoper is setup as an air unit but without transport ability... a Gunship type of Coper vs A troop carrying one, wouldn't it be able to land on a carrier?

Yes, that's right. ;)

--CK

I've been using this tutorial for my first mod, and it was all going wonderfully until...

I wanted to add the 18th century-ish Musketman from the Napoleonic Conquest AND keep the Musketman (who of course is really an Arquebusier) from vanilla Civ3.

Given the overlapping file names and folders, I seem to have run into trouble.

I then went and rather blindly tried renaming the old Musketman files, replacing Musketman with Arq., but that didn't seem to work (though I may well have done it incorrectly).

Is there a way to sort this out?

Thank you in advance.

You already discussed this in the original tutorial.

Sorry for wasting bandwidth...

i wasted two hours adding my first unit and then i figured out it was only in that scenario this helped me very much

Hi !

Have you ever been thinking that the best spot for a city is actually offshore ?
i.e. the best suited square is a coastal square.
This happens to me every now and then.

I've been able to create a unit that can do this, however since the city is offshore it can not be accessed by any unit.

So, I have been trying to create a unit that is able to transform a coastal square to grassland but without success.
The only thing my units can do is to build roads, mines etc on the castal square but it seems like these improvements does not add any production or commerce. I tried to change the setting for the terrain type.

I guess this would be a perfect unit for the Dutch civ.

Can you help me with this?

/// Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I do not believe there is any way to add worker abilities or tasks. They are hard coded. As far as I know, there are no terraform worker tasks available.

--CK

Thanks for the reply.

OK, I guess I'll just have to use my unit to create cities on coastal squares. The units created in the city can exit the city without reentering it so it is actually quite useful.
I also noticed that the mines, irrigation and roads I create in the coastal squares actually are adding to the resources.
However, it looks kinda stupid to have a mine in a coastal square.... ;-)

So, it's just the terraform option I'm missing.

By the way, I use the canoe unit for this.

/// Kurt

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken
Hi Kurt,

I do not believe there is any way to add worker abilities or tasks. They are hard coded. As far as I know, there are no terraform worker tasks available.

--CK

Originally posted by Derricoat
I've followed your tutorial, and i now have the unit in the game, only one problem - it appears as a knight, not the one it want! any ideas on what i've fouled up?
:(

:lol: Sorry to laugh, but I think we've all been there. I believe it merely has to do with what you entered in the editor for the Civilopedia Entry. You probably have PRTO_Knight instead of the one for your unit.

Regards,

CK

I've updated the tutorial. I've added some more explicit references to downloaded units so it is more obvious how these are added. I've also made another reference to the INI file. I've had some questions from other people about that lately (or, rather, errors related to it).

Please let me know if, after reading through the tutorial, there are just some things that don't make sense or need more explanation. I'd be more than happy to make it even more concise. I'm always looking for ways to improve the tutorial.

Thanks,

CK

Oh thank you oh Wize and Wonderful Lord Kracken.....

Under #ANINAME i'd changed the PRTO bit, but i didn't realise i had to change the little bit of text underneath! i though that was just descriptive.

I'll now go and flagulate myself for my stupidity.

Originally posted by Derricoat

Under #ANINAME i'd changed the PRTO bit, but i didn't realise i had to change the little bit of text underneath! i though that was just descriptive.

Oh, yup, that could've done it too. I guess I should have thought of that. What made you think to look at that?

And, it's not stupid. It's an easy mistake to make. ;)

--CK

I have a fatal error whenever I try to build my first city. I check the civlopedia before building it, and everything seems to be in working order. I have added units and changed the names of certain units and civs. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong!

I dont get an error message even, the game just exits. I have been in and out of my pediaicons file and I cannot find anything that woudl cause this. :( Please Help!

Without knowing all the stuff you've changed in your game, it would be difficult to determine exactly what my be the problem. Ask your question in the main C&C forum. I'm sure someone there would be able to help you.

--CK

Thats OK. I thought it might have been something obvious. I will just fool around until I get it to work, or until I set my computer on fire....thanks anyway.

I've been playing this bloody game since 01, didn't even know you could modify it(i'm computer illiterate), now two days later I've got an entire scenario with all new units. Thanks Colonel

Colonel,

I've been trying to do some work with the editor and found a couple of things out:
1 There is a limit (in the editor at least) of 349 units in C3C. That is as high as the unit numbers will go.
2. It doesn't seem to like any changes to the default units.pcx

I have just re-run the patches today, so maybe the editor was a byte or two short of a full compile. If it wasn't, I'm going to be very disappointed. Granted, this may have been because I was working off a copy of the conquest.biq, but it wasn't a problem in PTW or vanilla 1.29.

D.

Top Bottom